Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

current tensioner options?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  trippingreen 
#1 ·
the Chinese build thread made me ask a relevant question: are there any modern options for a tensioner that does not suck? I shattered the spring right away when I used a Surly tensioner, and anything that allows the chain to bounce around is super annoying.

anything that works with a 142x12 thru axle and does not have a spring? maybe something that mounts to a BSA bottom bracket (which is still the only BB design that does not suck balls!)?

it would be nice when considering new bikes on the market to rely on some sort of tensioner, as it would open up a ton of options. right now, all the tensioners I know of are lame, so I only consider bikes that have a built-in chain tensioning mechanism.

would the "snail cam" design used on trials bike work on an XC bike?

#2 ·
That internal spring on a genuine Surly tensioner is pretty bulletproof, used one for awhile in push-up mode no issues. But actually shattering a spring? Doesn't sound like spring steel unless it was super cooled.

#3 ·
regarding the Surly tensioner, "shattering" was a euphemism. the spring broke after two rides. maybe that was a fluke, but it turned me off to spring-loaded tensioners. that, and the guards around the cog on it were so big that I could not use it in push-up mode without hitting the chainstay. so I ran it in push-down mode instead, and then the spring broke right away. I put the push-up spring in it and sold it immediately. this was over ten years ago.

even if it works, your chain bouncing around like a jumprope sucks.

#5 ·

Attachments

#11 ·
I used the stinger on a Yelli Screamy, worked great. Had to adjust the grove a little bit to get it to like up with chainline. And i pushed down with it instead of pulling up due to the above mentioned issue with it hitting chainstay. But, it was bullet proof, worked great, and infinitely adjustable. You could also adjust the alignment by bending it side to side to suit your chainline.

#7 ·
I tried a BB-mounted Stinger. I could never get it to line up with my chainring because I am using a 2X crankset with a 1x1 drivetrain. I also remember it bottoming-out on my chainstay before actually tightening the chain. then I sat on it (not literally, you pervs) for a year before someone finally bought it for a few bucks. I really wanted it to work, too. I'd like to see some more BB-mounted options like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.