Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old School Satori Bearing Swap

770 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DownForFun 
#1 ·
This is a long-shot question, but here it goes:

Believe it or not, about 8 months ago I bought a new 2012 Satori from Bikeman. It was a good price and I like the bike.

However, the bearings above the BB are toast. It seems premature, but I bought new bearings, and I am ready for the swap. I've changed many bearings in the past.

My problem started at the beginning. I need to get the main pivot bolt/axle out. On the non-drive side is a 5mm and the drive side has a 4mm bolt. I removed the 4mm, which looks like it screwed into threads within the main pivot axle (the 5mm pivot axle).

Next I turned the 5mm axle (which is hard to turn but does move), but the bolt does not extract outwards as I unscrew it.

My question is, does the main pivot bolt unscrew out, or do I pound it out from the other side (through where the 4mm bolt was)?

Thanks for any tips.

#2 ·
If I recall correctly, on my 2013 Satori main pivot I unscrewed the drive side bolt slightly and then tapped the head of it towards the non drive side to push the axle outwards. You might have to repeat the process to push it out enough to grab a hold of it.

The axle is likely dry so it might take a bit of wiggling to pull it clear.

Hope that helps. I never pulled my 2012 apart but my 2013 main axle bolts use large Allen key sizes than those you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If I recall correctly, on my 2013 Satori main pivot I unscrewed the drive side bolt slightly and then tapped the head of it towards the non drive side to push the axle outwards. You might have to repeat the process to push it out enough to grab a hold of it.

The axle is likely dry so it might take a bit of wiggling to pull it clear.

Hope that helps. I never pulled my 2012 apart but my 2013 main axle bolts use large Allen key sizes than those you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That scenario makes sense, and using the drive side bolt is a great idea. I also think you're right about the pivot being dry. It's really hard to turn. In fact, I have a slight worry about the 4mm threads being used to pound it out. If I can get this thing out, I'm going to douse it with no-seize before reinstall.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.