Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Damaged Rim Replacement - What would you Pick and Why

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  msedbaue 
#1 ·
So I currently run a set of Stans Arch EX 32H with Chris King Hubs. The rear has developed a flat spot that cannot be repaired and it no longer holds tubeless that well. So Im starting to think about whats next. I want to keep the hubs, and the easiest thing to do would be to replace it with the same rim, but if Im going to do it, the wife wont even know I've "upgraded" in the process. :thumbsup:

What would you buy?

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#3 ·
How bad did you have to bash the Stans to ding it? If it was a minor impact, then I'd say see if you can find something stronger. If not and you feel like it was a once in ten year hit on it, just go back with another Arch. I have Stans/Kings on my hardtail and they're still straight, true and un-dinged after four years of pretty hard and rocky riding.

#4 ·
I hit it pretty good, certainly no need for stronger wheels honestly. Im 185LBs so weight typically isnt an issue. I really like the Arch and now they are wider which is great! I was considering Velocity Blunt SS (I had them on a superfly FS a few years ago) and they were great! Just seeing if there is anything else out there that should be considered. I thought about Crests, but if I wanted an ultralight wheelset I wouldnt be riding 32H! Im looking for a good balance between $$ and durability.

#6 ·
I would probably go with the new Arch MK3 rim. Especially if you liked the old one as replacing the rim with the same may well be difficult. I haven't seen many of the EX rims out there for sale lately and with the price difference being minimal I'd go for the newer rims. I'm a fan of the Velocity stuff too, but I'd heard the Blunts could dent easily. I also have liked my WTB Laserdisc trail rims on my MUSS, they have been pretty bombproof for me.

#9 ·
how long ago was that wheel built up? if you trust the spokes enough to reuse them, look for something with the same ERD. otherwise, I think my next rim will be a WTB Asym. I am using a KOM front and Frequency Team rear, both 25mm internal width. I should have gone wider on the front at least. WTB rims lace up nicely and the tubeless system is pretty darn good.

#14 ·
Agreed! I have a set of I9 Pillar Carbon Ultralight wheels and at first I was riding them easy because I was not sure how they would hold up. Now I am riding as I always have and they seem to be super tough! FWIW I am 6'1" and 175ish pounds and they are on a Ti frame SS with some light weight 29X2.25 tires. I am very happy with the Pillar Carbon wheels.

#15 ·
I ride the MKIII on my SS hardtail. 240ish lbs and hit a lot of rocks. No problems at all. My wheels were built by Steve Gravenitis, and he picked the spokes. I told him my weight, riding style and places I ride the most. The spokes he picked are used mostly for tandem bikes, but, again no problems.

#18 ·
Raceface/Easton rims are also quite good. Available in either 27mm or 30mm. I'd either use those or Stans. WTB KOM is also good, the Asym's are heavy and overkill if you don't require burly wheels IMO.

For cheap Carbon I like Nextie, LB, or Carbonfan.

#19 ·
You can use this rebuild to go wider. Your old rim was 21mm. Arch 3 is 25 Flow 3 is 29 and 35mm inner between the beads would be my choice for a rear where 2.4 is the widest tire you can fit. If you can go wider for a front and you want to replace that also 45mm will get you a 2.6 or 2.8 high volume rounded profile tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.