Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Oiz

327K views 2K replies 168 participants last post by  BCM 
#1 ·
#1,347 · (Edited)
It took a lot longer than I expected but I finally have a custom pivot bolt for my Orbea Oiz now.:)

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Rim

It's made from stainless steel and the thread has been extended so that the drive side pivot bearing will be fully supported.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design Rim Chair

This picture shows the original bolt, the complete full pivot bearing assembly on a fresh bolt (the warranty parts that were sent by Orbea but with different bearings as the Enduro Max bearings were pressed into the frame) and the steel bolt that is made specifically for my bike.

Product Font Office supplies Cosmetics Rectangle

With a complete assembly and a worn bolt side by side it shows where the issue is. If you take all the assembly parts and load them up onto the pivot bolt with no gaps the bearings sit perfectly in place. The drive side bearing sits on the round section of the pivot bolt and it all looks spot on. This is when the assembly is out of the frame however!

Slope Font Parallel Vehicle Schematic

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper

My picture above shows that when assembled the position of the components is different to out of the frame. Instead of touching each other there is a gap between the 15.2 Main Pivot Cone and 15.3 Main Pivot Washer of about 2.5mm. That is due to the extra thickness of the non drive side carbon fibre chainstay, which shifts the bearings across around 2.5mm.

Light Product Auto part Font Cylinder

The picture above shows how this affects the bearings on the original main pivot bolt. With that extra gap included the drive side bearing lines up with the wear markings on the worn pivot bolt, sitting on the threads rather than the round section.

Without that gap the lower picture shows that the drive side bearing would be sat on the round section of the pivot bolt on both bolts.

The only real fix for this (it isn't a maintenance issue) is to have a new pivot bolt made that extends the round section of the pivot bolt. Apparently Orbea are working on a fix from their end but I don't know anymore than that.:)

#369 ·
Hey everyone, I have a long post so feel free to skip to the next post if you already have an OIZ and don't need a full rundown. If you are sticking around I just wanted to send a general thanks to this thread as it was immensely helpful in convincing me to buy an Oiz TR without even testing it. I spread a bunch of rep around but I needed to say (type) it once more!

I went from this majestic bike (frame bought in 2007, on its fourth build, sorry for picture orientation)

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Mode of transport

to this one

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel rim

I felt I needed to give back a little to the person like me who might stumble on this thread like I did. Specifically when I discovered the cheapest santa cruz blur TR option that I liked was 7k dollars and I needed to start a new search and was watching UCI mtn biking and thought, "that orbea looks sweet, let me see what the mtbr forumites say about it".

What I found most helpful and what I wanted to leave here was measurement specifics for someone in between sizes. A few others upstream commented on it and I found it to be one of the most helpful things so I thought I would add to it since all bike fit calculators had me on a small. I am 5' 6"/167 cm, with a 29.5 inch/75cm inseam, and 53 inch/135.5cm sternal notch. I purchased a stock medium from Jenson (no orbea dealers in my state) and the fit is excellent. The dropper post sits about an inch to an inch and a half above the lowest possible position in the seat tube.

Over the last three years I test rode the following and pretty much knew what I wanted which included my roots of xc riding but wanting a little more for the trails here that are very rocky (Northern AZ riding) and I like to hit the jumps, which helped me make the decision to purchase it.

In order of testing....
Santa Cruz Bronson (fun bike, rode it three times, once in AZ and a two day rental in post canyon Oregon)
Santos Cruz 5010 (kind of bland to me)
Santa Cruz Hightower (meh)
Ibis Mojo 4 (this was a bear to ride uphill)
Ibis Mojo 3 (this is still an amazing bike, if I wasn't racing xc still I would have considered this a little more, thankfully my wife bought this bike and said I could ride whenever she wasn't, but I have not felt the need to yet)
Kona Hei Hei (awful)
Pivot Mach 4 (close call, price and ass-hat customer service from the demo guy drove me away)
Pivot Trail 429 (not as good as the mach 4)

So hopefully this helps some of you when deciding what to buy. I plan on leaving mine stock for the foreseeable future. With pedals and tubes it weighed in at 25.8. I converted to tubeless after the first week which was 146 miles/13 hours of riding and 11k feet of elevation. I literally took the week off of work that began with new bike day and I regret nothing! I haven't weighed it since the tubeless conversion but will eventually just out of curiousity. I will say that the stock seat is absolutely horrid. I put my old seat on (wtb volt) and am much happier for it.

So I think those are the most relative things I can think of for a prospective buyer. Thanks again for those that helped!

#371 ·
Thanks for the info, mine still not arrived but I'm 5'5" and based on my test ride felt the medium was the way to go. Glad you like the fit and look forward to hearing more about your setup and feedback.

Hey everyone, I have a long post so feel free to skip to the next post if you already have an OIZ and don't need a full rundown. If you are sticking around I just wanted to send a general thanks to this thread as it was immensely helpful in convincing me to buy an Oiz TR without even testing it. I spread a bunch of rep around but I needed to say (type) it once more!

I felt I needed to give back a little to the person like me who might stumble on this thread like I did. Specifically when I discovered the cheapest santa cruz blur TR option that I liked was 7k dollars and I needed to start a new search and was watching UCI mtn biking and thought, "that orbea looks sweet, let me see what the mtbr forumites say about it".

What I found most helpful and what I wanted to leave here was measurement specifics for someone in between sizes. A few others upstream commented on it and I found it to be one of the most helpful things so I thought I would add to it since all bike fit calculators had me on a small. I am 5' 6"/167 cm, with a 29.5 inch/75cm inseam, and 53 inch/135.5cm sternal notch. I purchased a stock medium from Jenson (no orbea dealers in my state) and the fit is excellent. The dropper post sits about an inch to an inch and a half above the lowest possible position in the seat tube.

Over the last three years I test rode the following and pretty much knew what I wanted which included my roots of xc riding but wanting a little more for the trails here that are very rocky (Northern AZ riding) and I like to hit the jumps, which helped me make the decision to purchase it.

In order of testing....
Santa Cruz Bronson (fun bike, rode it three times, once in AZ and a two day rental in post canyon Oregon)
Santos Cruz 5010 (kind of bland to me)
Santa Cruz Hightower (meh)
Ibis Mojo 4 (this was a bear to ride uphill)
Ibis Mojo 3 (this is still an amazing bike, if I wasn't racing xc still I would have considered this a little more, thankfully my wife bought this bike and said I could ride whenever she wasn't, but I have not felt the need to yet)
Kona Hei Hei (awful)
Pivot Mach 4 (close call, price and ass-hat customer service from the demo guy drove me away)
Pivot Trail 429 (not as good as the mach 4)

So hopefully this helps some of you when deciding what to buy. I plan on leaving mine stock for the foreseeable future. With pedals and tubes it weighed in at 25.8. I converted to tubeless after the first week which was 146 miles/13 hours of riding and 11k feet of elevation. I literally took the week off of work that began with new bike day and I regret nothing! I haven't weighed it since the tubeless conversion but will eventually just out of curiousity. I will say that the stock seat is absolutely horrid. I put my old seat on (wtb volt) and am much happier for it.

So I think those are the most relative things I can think of for a prospective buyer. Thanks again for those that helped!

#1,357 ·
I knew that Orbea were supposed to be working on something regarding the pivot bolts. They've known about this issue for a while now, at least since the beginning of 2021.

It's good that hopefully an updated bolt from Orbea will address the problem for everybody now. It really ought to be a free fix given to all owners.:)

#334 · (Edited)
My bike came and I assembled it and got a quick ride in today to establish baseline settings. What a great riding XC bike!

I bought the M10 (xc version) and modified from there. Enve cockpit and wheels, Fox dropper, lots of little Wolftooth bits, and other little tweaks. All cables and hoses come assembled a bit long for my preference; plan on shortening all of them. My scale indicated exactly 21 pounds which I don't believe. I will swing by my local shop and see what their scale says.

I am 170# and 6'. It is a Large and fits well. I am at 92psi in the front and 160psi in the rear for now. I will try a larger volume spacer in the rear and will likely leave the front as is.

Fyi, you can fit two 24oz bottles in this frame by sliding the seat tube mounted bottle down. The bottle on the downtube could be a typical 26oz bottle if you wanted to run one.

EDIT: It came in at 23.5 pounds. I'm guessing with a lighter crank, XTR brakes, and a carbon seat post you could have a 22# machine if you wanted.

Attachments

#335 ·
My bike came and I assembled it and got a quick ride in today to establish baseline settings. What a great riding XC bike!

I bought the M10 (xc version) and modified from there. Enve cockpit and wheels, Fox dropper, lots of little Wolftooth bits, and other little tweaks. All cables and hoses come assembled a bit long for my preference; plan on shortening all of them. My scale indicated exactly 21 pounds which I don't believe. I will swing by my local shop and see what their scale says.

I am 170# and 6'. It is a Large and fits well. I am at 92psi in the front and 160psi in the rear for now. I will try a larger volume spacer in the rear and will likely leave the front as is.

Fyi, you can fit two 24oz bottles in this frame by sliding the seat tube mounted bottle down. The bottle on the downtube could be a typical 26oz bottle if you wanted to run one.
What stem and bars are you running? Length/rise?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

#1,255 · (Edited)
My 2020 Orbea Oiz M Team

I've have raced and trained on this bike since april - finally found time to take some pictures.

TR version with 120/120mm. Size M. Weight as pictured 9,5kg(20,9lbs). 9,75kg with dropper

I have replaced wheels with lighter and wider (30mm id) ones and threw out the awful fox suspension and replaced it with new 35mm Sid and Sidluxe.
2021 Sid's are so good that I dont need remote lockout anymore. They offer very good support on ascents, ride high and still have amazing small bump compliance.
And most importantly - they don't overheat!! - suspension sensitivity stays the same after 30min or after 8 hours.

Actually I did ran 80mm dropper seatpost all summer - I just bought a trail bike for winter and moved the post there but probably move it back because I installed 125mm for trail bike.

Current stem is 90mm and -6 with 3mm spacer underneath. I did experiment with 80mm stem - didn't like it on ascents and fast sections - probably will use original 90mm -12degree FSA next summer - makes bike faster.
And 32 chaingring is also part of "autumn setup" - used 34 in summer but will try 36 for next year.
Of course I have broken the rear suspension bolt as everybody - replaced it with steel one and all is good.

I think it is possible to make very very fast trail bike out if this if you are lighter rider so you don't break the light frame when jumping:
different tires and wheels, 32t chainring, 70mm stem, 15mm riser bars and 130mm RS pike - for example.

#1,367 ·
I picked up the new bolt at my LBS. It is the same as the old bolt, i.e. 15 mm thread length. :confused: I talked briefly with owner when he gave me the bolt. He claimed that Orbea thinks problems with the main bolt occur when the suspension is not properly set up so that there are too many bottom outs. He further said that this is why he always asks for weight when he sets up the bike for his customers. Yes, really impressive, wow... At this point, I had to choose between getting angry about the complete disregard for the engineering fail and getting on with my ride. Considering the apparent total lack of understanding of the problem with the incorrect thread length, I left to ride on. It's a nice sunny and warm day after all.

#1,371 ·
I picked up my new bolt set yesterday. Also 15mm thread length ? I am riding with my old bolt in the frame again after replacing the bearings. I feels fine at the moment (after 500km) so I will let it in and replace it when the bearings need to be replaced again.

#1,418 · (Edited)
Raced yesterday, 60km 1350D+, with my new OIZ M10 TR and the squidlock worked great!! I'm impressed.
It takes a little bit of pushing to accelerate in comparison with my carbon 27.5 hardtail (with carbon wheels) but it's faster on flat and on the downhills is comfortably and safer.
I joined the cables in pairs with zipties and now they even offer the perfect setup to hang the racenumber. It doesnt look to cluttered.
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

#1,454 ·
Finally my 2022 Oiz M-Team TR arrived (wait time was 1y and 10 days)
As my trail bike wasn't available at the moment I immediately "trailed" my Oiz :)

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

Wheels/tires and fork are borrowed from trail bike.
Saddle, dropper, handlebar and stem are planned changes.

I am not very tall but frame size is L because I really dont' like medium frame 425mm reach.
This Large feels very tiny compared to other manufacturers. With 60mm stem it's fine for me.
I haven't weighed this setup - probably somewhere between 10,5 and 11kg.

#1,457 ·
Finally my 2022 Oiz M-Team TR arrived (wait time was 1y and 10 days)
As my trail bike wasn't available at the moment I immediately "trailed" my Oiz :)

View attachment 1996087

View attachment 1996088

Wheels/tires and fork are borrowed from trail bike.
Saddle, dropper, handlebar and stem are planned changes.

I am not very tall but frame size is L because I really dont' like medium frame 425mm reach.
This Large feels very tiny compared to other manufacturers. With 60mm stem it's fine for me.
I haven't weighed this setup - probably somewhere between 10,5 and 11kg.
Hi! I have a question to you as an Orbea Oiz owner from Estonia. Today I requested Tallinn dealer on the availability of Oiz M Pro TR (XL size) and was informed that they do not have this particular bike in stock, but they can order one from Orbea.

Aprox delivery time is mid/end of October. Moreover, they offered a good discount on ordering the bike from Orbea (around 800 eur from the retail price, and 1000 eur from price in German bike stores, where the bike is in stock).

The question is the following. Is the approximate delivery time they reported real or not?

On the one hand, I am ready to wait till the end of the autumn and get a good discount (why not😃).

But I assume that probably they’ll get this bike only the next year. Who knows?) The delivery time can’t be guaranteed by local dealer.

It looks like while I am waiting for my Oiz, the new one would be released.😅

#1,461 ·
Figured I should share a pic of the new Oiz since I just mentioned it. Took forever to find an XL so as soon as I saw it, I jumped on it. Initially I wasn’t thrilled with the LI hen Green color but it’s really grown on me. I’ve only got three rides on it, but I really like it so far. Need to dial in the suspension a little more, but it’s almost there. It’s a great stablemate to my Alma, which I’ll be converting to single speed sometime soon. I’m trying to convince the wife I need the Terra now so I can have a full set… she’s not on board just yet. :)

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Tire Wheel Sky Bicycle wheel

#1,465 ·
Hi! How tall are you, I wonder? :)My height is 193 cm. I’ve just ordered OIZ M Pro TR in XL size, but it’s geometry seems to be a little bit short in comparison with its competitors (like Canyon Lux in XL size). Nevertheless, I hope everything will be ok, and the bike will fit me.(y)

#1,524 ·
Finally got the bike... It's a 2022 Oiz H30 aluminum. I swapped over all of my Shimano XT parts from my Santa Cruz Chameleon (I sold that frame). I also swapped over my Thompson stem and Enve M6 bars. I also had the bike shop order me Nobl TR 32 rims with Chris King hubs (amazing buzzz!). Also got a PNW dropper and Loam lever (to match the turquoise, of course). Threw on some black Chester pedals, and it's good to go. Have been out on two rides so far and all I can say is that it climbs like a beast! All in, the bike weighs 27.5 lbs with the pedals, bottle cage, computer mount, and bell. Not too shabby for an aluminum full suspension bike with 120mm of travel... Here she is:

Bicycle Sky Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel

#1,530 ·
Quick update... Loving the Maxxis Aspen tires. I mostly ride fire roads and mellow singletrack. The combo of the light carbon Nobl wheels and the light tires makes for a bike that accelerates quickly and climbs effortlessly. Overall, for the type of riding I do, this bike has been way more fun than the Santa Cruz Chameleon it replaced. Also, the Squidlock upgrade was totally worth it, as I like being able to have the suspension in the medium setting when climbing (instead of completely locked out)...

#249 ·
Test rode a medium tr oiz today and felt good on it. I’m only 5’5 and short leg and it felt just right. I would’ve bought it if not for the 175 cranks and I need 170. I’ve got a reconstructed knee and need the shorter arms. So going to order one from my lbs with the shorter crank, xtr brakes and 32 tooth front ring. Can’t wait to get it!

#344 ·
Finally, it's here!

Finally arrived! Soooooo happy with the colour!

I'm 169-170cm tall and went M in the XC version (with added dropper). It's pretty perfect size-wise, and will be a great marathon rig for me.

Managed to get my PB down quite a rough track aptly named Rock Lobster with the suspension accidentally locked out!!! (Which I usually ride on my 6" trail bike...) So it's quite stable and very quick! But I clearly need to get used to the cockpit...

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

#375 ·
Since I asked about dropper levers with the lockout, I figured I share what I ended up with. The X-Fusion Bat. It fits right in between the brakes and shock lever and I can use it with both my thumb (from the back) or finger (from the front). It may be a bit long, so I may cut it down just a bit but I want to put some miles on it before it comes to that.

Microphone stand Fishing reel

Dropper cable housing tip: If you need to run dropper cable housing on a Oiz that never came with it and the BB is already installed. Start pushing the housing in from the seat tube, get it to turn the corner at the BB and feed in some more and you should be able to see it from the cable port. Then just use a piece of bent coat hanger as a hook to pull it out.

#782 ·
Thanks for the link.:)

That's quite a neat SRAM Reverb AXS wireless remote setup on the Scott Spark with the SRAM blipbox hidden inside the frame and spiral wrap for the single wire up to the blip button for the dropper embedded in the left grip. The Scott Twinlock remote lever is in place under the bar and unobstructed.

Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle

I think you could do the same layout on an Orbea Oiz with the blip box in the same position. The Orbea cable ports are maybe a little smaller so it could be trickier to reach inside for the pairing button but you wouldn't need to do that often.

#867 ·
Thanks a lot WR304! You're right! I had to turn the cable tension screw several rotations in, now the middle position is always open. Perfect! :thumbsup:

I have also shortened that curved tube at the dropper remote so that I can mount it closer to the lever clamp, inside of that protusion of the XT lever that rests against the bars. With the Squidlock mounted outside, I felt the brake lever wasn't long enough to comfortably position my index finger. Mount inside, it's fine!

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Metal Pipe Steel

#868 ·
Thanks a lot WR304! You're right! I had to turn the cable tension screw several rotations in, now the middle position is always open. Perfect! :thumbsup:

I have also shortened that curved tube at the dropper remote so that I can mount it closer to the lever clamp, inside of that protusion of the XT lever that rests against the bars. With the Squidlock mounted outside, I felt the brake lever wasn't long enough to comfortably position my index finger. Mount inside, it's fine!

View attachment 1325765
That metallic graphite grey / matte black Orbea colour scheme looks familiar! :)

In the background of your picture you can see where the two cables go into the internal routing of the frame down tube. As stock these are probably a bit loose and free to rattle.

What I did on my bike was to undo the blanking plate and slide it out a bit before wrapping the cable with several layers of electrical tape to make it thicker. When the blanking plate is put back in place the cable is then firmly wedged in place by the tape so less likely to rattle when riding.

#1,002 ·
Somehow I have managed to upload one picture, but can't do any others! Anyway, here is one pic of my new Oiz in the wild, on our first ride yesterday. It's been a long time in the making (frame ordered last October - it is a LONG story). My old 2015 frame was 9mm and fork was non-boost, so it's also got new wheels and fork. 11spd Di2 (1x). I miss the icd electronic suspension, but at the very least it taught me to be liberal in my use of the switch (squidlock - I seem to have 3 positions on the rear but only 2 on the front - it's part of that long story and I'm only missing fully locked in the front so I'll leave it at that for now).

First ride went pretty well. I have to spend some time getting the suspension dialed, the dropper was very stiff - presumably from lack of use, and it's a long time since I rode mtb (or outside!). But I got a PR and took the QOM on the trail I tested it on so looking promising :)

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

#1,004 ·
Somehow I have managed to upload one picture, but can't do any others! Anyway, here is one pic of my new Oiz in the wild, on our first ride yesterday. It's been a long time in the making (frame ordered last October - it is a LONG story). My old 2015 frame was 9mm and fork was non-boost, so it's also got new wheels and fork. 11spd Di2 (1x). I miss the icd electronic suspension, but at the very least it taught me to be liberal in my use of the switch (squidlock - I seem to have 3 positions on the rear but only 2 on the front - it's part of that long story and I'm only missing fully locked in the front so I'll leave it at that for now).
To add more pictures edit your post in a web browser, scroll down to the bottom and click on Upload Images. At the top right when you click on Add Files there's a small + underneath that lets you include multiple pictures in one post.

Blue Yellow Green Text Line

With the fork it's a 2 position fork so you'll only have open or full locked. If the fork isn't locking out properly you should be able to get it work by adjusting the cable tension to loosen the cable so that the lockout on top of the fork can rotate more back to its fully closed position. :)

#1,041 ·
Here is the initial version of the modification to the I-Spec EV shifter mounting. As it was, I had to extend my thumb to far backwards to shift into lower gears. Combined with the higher trigger force compared to SRAM Eagle, this hurt my thumb joint. I have designed this extension piece to move the shifter 13 mm forward, which will hopefully help with my thumb joint pain.
I wanted to make it from aluminium, but the mill where I could do it, is currently down, so this is now a 3d-printed plastic piece. I set 95% fill, so I think it will hold up. Time will tell.

Attachments

#1,042 ·
It might be worth carrying the original Shimano bolt as a spare for a few rides just to be sure as shifters can have a lot of force put through them on downshifts

You've got a steel? bolt right through the middle into the original I-spec EV mounting so that bolt is probably not going to break. If the 3d printed plastic extension does fail it should hopefully still hold together due to that bolt without the shifter coming away completely.:)

#1,108 ·
Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Here's a picture showing a Specialized Zee sideloader cage and 768ml (26 fl oz) Specialized Purist water bottle on the seat tube of my Size Large 2020 Orbea Oiz.:)

This is using the Wolftooth B-Rad 2 rail. It easily lowers the bottle cage down enough to clear the rear shock and feels very solid. It's not breaking off anytime soon!

In the picture there's quite a bit of excess rail sticking up. If I decide to keep using this I'm going to cut it down and remove that excess part. Although the Woftooth B-Rad 2 is easy to fit it's quite a solid bit of aluminium with 4 torx head bolts to attach it. Not a lightweight option.

The Elite Cannibal XC cages haven't turned up yet so I want to try them too before making a more final decision. :)

#1,109 ·
View attachment 1351607

Here's a picture showing a Specialized Zee sideloader cage and 768ml (26 fl oz) Specialized Purist water bottle on the seat tube of my Size Large 2020 Orbea Oiz.:)

This is using the Wolftooth B-Rad 2 rail. It easily lowers the bottle cage down enough to clear the rear shock and feels very solid. It's not breaking off anytime soon!

In the picture there's quite a bit of excess rail sticking up. If I decide to keep using this I'm going to cut it down and remove that excess part. Although the Woftooth B-Rad 2 is easy to fit it's quite a solid bit of aluminium with 4 torx head bolts to attach it. Not a lightweight option.

The Elite Cannibal XC cages haven't turned up yet so I want to try them too before making a more final decision. :)
The Problem Solvers Bottle Cage Height Adapter works to fit a large bottle as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk