Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

27.5+ singlespeed???

23K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  maynard4130 
#1 ·
Is anybody building/riding a 27.5+ singlespeed bike?

I’m getting reeeallly tempted to build a Salsa Timberjack into such a beast...

So, what are y’alls thoughts and experiences on a plus-sized singlespeed?

#26 ·
I have rode 26x3.0 SS (as my only bike) for 7 years with success, and recently switch to 27.5x2.8 with lighter wheels on the same frame (2006 Surly 1x1), dropping about four pounds on rotating mass and found grate increase of speed and accelleration. It makes way more universal bike for me.
I've been running 27.5x2.4 Nevegals on my Surly 1X1 for about 8 years with i30 P35 rims. I just swapped a 2.8 DHF on the front and I'm really enjoying it. I demo'ed a full suspension 27.5+ (Rocky Mountain Pipeline) and I thought the plus tires made the steering feel vauge. Haven't noticed that on my 1x1 and I am loving the added grip in loose corners and extra cushion! I have a second 2.8 DHF I will try on the back but my measurements suggest I'll only have 2 mm of clearance or so under the rear arch. What tires are you running and how much clearance do you have in the back?

To the OP's point, I say go for it! I think the + tire movement is a great fit with many rigid bikes.

#13 ·
You guys are a bunch of enablers. (Not that I needed any help.)

Ordered a Salsa Timberjack in XL today, and when it’s paid for, I’ll be dismantling the rear wheel and putting in a singlespeed hub. I’m getting stupid excited right now...

Look for a build thread this winter!

#15 ·
Sage of the Sage - we’ll done!

And probably no reason to dismantle the rear hub to run SS. If it’s a Shimano driver, spacers and a SS cog work perfectly. And if it’s an XD driver you can do something like the problem solvers Zinger.

Keep us posted.

#16 ·
Sage of the Sage - we'll done!

And probably no reason to dismantle the rear hub to run SS. If it's a Shimano driver, spacers and a SS cog work perfectly. And if it's an XD driver you can do something like the problem solvers Zinger.

Keep us posted.
I have a bit of a hang-up in regards to wheel dish. For the time being, I'll likely run a conversion, but I will eventually build a SS specific wheel...

#19 ·
I've got an older Voodoo Bokor set up as a 27.5" SS. Love it. That being said, the 2018 Voodoo line has a 27.5" Ti D-Jab with sliders, and a 27.5" Reynolds 853 steel long travel with sliders. Both available as frame only options.

I have not ridden either, or read any reviews.

#21 ·
I ride a 29+ and a 27.5+ (both custom Ti Frames) - stick to 29+ if you plan on riding rigid. If you plan on squish I reckon it won't matter much. My 27.5+ is rigid and is a great bike, but it feels **** compared to the 29+ - this is especially apparent on technical climbs.

#27 ·
Frs1661, my current setup is DT M582 rims (40mm inner) and Schwalbe G-One 2.8 tires, same front and rear. This tire has absolutely round profile, so it fits with about 5mm clearance with chainstays. And my rear wheel is always in the backward position in dropouts.

#30 ·
My 29er wheelset is about 1350 grams (Reynolds Blacklabel), and my 27.5+ wheelset is about 1750. The tires I run on my 29er rims are an Ardent 2.4 front and Ikon 2.35 rear, which are also lighter than the Rekon plus tires I run. So there is a weight penalty with the plus tire/wheel set up. There is a very different feel to the two set ups, as well. The 29er setup just wants to go fast. The plus setup is there to party; it is a lot of fun, tons of traction, but I feel you definitely can feel the added weight, especially when climbing on my SS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.