Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Tension Question (ENO content)

2K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  bad mechanic 
#1 ·
So, have a question for the group. I have an ENO eccentric hub, and I recently changed my gearing from 32:17 to 32:18. At first I kept the chain the same length, but it pushed my wheel too far forward and I was getting tire buzz under cornering. So, I added the minimal amount I had to (1-link) and this is what the result is:

That is with the hub rotated full back (max tension). Is that too slack? I don't want to get out on the trail and find out it's a problem.

My other option would be to run a narrower rear tire without massive side knobs and bringing it forward wouldn't be as much an issue. I just got my WI freewheel so I'm not changing that, and I am getting WI M30 cranks with a 32t ring this week so I'm pretty tied in to that gearing for the time being. Narrower rear tire is the least expensive option I believe, but if the way I have it now will work I'll continue to run it. Thanks!

(Before adding chain link. I know it looks good, but the knobs on the tires were too far into the chainstay/B.B. junction):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#2 ·
That would be too slack for my taste, but if you can't pull on the chain sideways and derail it, you're 'probably' okay.

I would look at running a half link if possible, or clipping the corners of the shoulder knobs if you like that tire as a rear. If neither of those are an option, I'd go for the smaller tire.

#3 ·
I would look at running a half link if possible, or clipping the corners of the shoulder knobs if you like that tire as a rear. If neither of those are an option, I'd go for the smaller tire.
I don't think a half link would work for me with a NW chainring. I thought about cutting the knobs but realistically it would just probably be frustrating as those tomahawks have huge thick side knobs. I'm thinking an Ikon 2.2 or something like that would work well, but I am going to try and use it tomorrow night and hope not to derail it.

#10 ·
Not trying to be a dink but from what I have read the ebb and hub options are very limited in success for non-SS frames. I have two vertical drop out bikes and have gone to tensioner with great success. I am able to go from a 34/13 to a 34/22 with no chain adjustment. It might net be the preferred option but it will certainly be successful

#11 ·
It was flawless until I changed my gearing, for over a year. I'll just figure out an adjustment, not changing anything else until the cranks and ring get here this week. It's a PITA when v-brakes are also involved. That's what I get for changing. Thanks for your insight, no worries.

#12 ·
So, I went on a fairly long off-road night ride tonight, and didn’t have one hiccup. While it “looks” not as tight as I’d like it, it appears to be mechanically sound.

#13 ·
So, I went on a fairly long off-road night ride tonight, and didn't have one hiccup. While it "looks" not as tight as I'd like it, it appears to be mechanically sound.

I've found chains to wear and lengthen fairly rapidly on my single speed bikes and would guess since your hub is already at its adjustment limit your problem is only going to get worse. If your willing to risk losing your chain (which may involve a crash) there's a good chance after a couple of rides you'll be able to remove the extra link you added and have enough chainstay clearance to eliminate the rub. I personally wouldn't be comfortable running that much slack in my chain and since you don't care to run a tensioner would consider the narrower/less aggressive side knob option the best way to go.
Mole

#14 · (Edited)
Your problem can be an issue on any SS bike frame and have run into it with my Kona Unit. When I first built up my Kona, I bought a crank that came with a 32T ring. I used a cog that gave me pretty much the same gear inches as the 34/20 I used on my other bike. The slider was either slammed all the way forward, with the chain tension too tight, or after adding a link, all the way at the end. I was avoiding a half-link, because I wanted to use a DM ring and they seem to all be NW. I also wanted to be able to just use any 8-speed chain and not worry about that one special piece to make things work. I end up switching over to a 34/20 setup, which for me put my sliders in the ideal place of about 80% of the way forward. I had been able to find online, a killer deal on a 34T OneUp Components DM chainring and had an extra 20T cog, so it was not an expensive fix. WI is nice stuff, but you rarely ever find deals on it. Somewhere, I have seen a table that showed chain lengths based on ring/cog size and gear inches. This helped me out. Maybe someone else on here knows what I am talking about. I'll look around and see if I can dig it up.

Edit. I found the chain length calculating info.

http://eehouse.org/fixin/index.php

When you open the page, scroll down and select "HTML form".

#15 ·
Since I would use the rotation of ENO to tension the chain thereby helping to keep the ENO in place as well, I would think it's too loose. However, on my MUSS with a Surly hub and AB Oval I get about that slack when the ring is at a "low" point and have had no issues with the chain popping off the WI freewheel. As long as you can ride with it and the ENO doesn't slip, I'd say you're good.

#16 ·
I'm going to give an IKON 2.2 a shot. I like the gearing I am running, not interested in a tensioner, just want to get to the "set it and forget it" point now. The bike is nearing completion and I'd like to stop spending so much time changing and adjusting everything.

Thank you everyone for taking time to offer your ideas, hope you all had a nice weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.