Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gears Shmears - Joined the Club

2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  sfgiantsfan 
#1 ·
Finally wrapped up my Canfield Bros N9 SS build. Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. The full-squish Altitude will likely be getting very lonely in the shed.

I've been wanting to try the singlespeed thing for a while, and now that I have, I'll be hard pressed to go back.

Simply can't say enough good things about this bike and SS in general, so I'll just say it's f*cking awesome!

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/MTBrent,36393/setup,36910

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

See less See more
#12 ·
Pedalon,

It’s really quite simple. We each find ways to enjoy riding our bikes. SS is simply more fun for me at the moment as it allows for new challenges and a different level of engagement than I am used to coming from a road, geared background. In essence, I feel more connected to ride and more rewarded for efforts made.

If you find your joy in electronic shifting, excellent! There is no universal best fit for all when it comes to cycling as we approach it from many differing perspectives.

I will say, respectfully, todays SS mtb has little in common with yesterday’s paperboy bike!

#13 ·
Pedalon,

It's really quite simple. We each find ways to enjoy riding our bikes. SS is simply more fun for me at the moment as it allows for new challenges and a different level of engagement than I am used to coming from a road, geared background. In essence, I feel more connected to ride and more rewarded for efforts made.

If you find your joy in electronic shifting, excellent! There is no universal best fit for all when it comes to cycling as we approach it from many differing perspectives.

I will say, respectfully, todays SS mtb has little in common with yesterday's paperboy bike!
no doubt that's true except that they all have one speed. No change there.

#3 ·
- tried talking my training partner into riding SS for about 6 years now but he resisted.....then he had to put his FSR bike in the shop for service so I loaned him my 29er rigid Ti SS and he loved it - he finally bought a frame and parts, and I'll be building it for him in the next two weeks.....SSs are never what people think they are until they ride them.....

#4 ·
First real group ride last night... a few takeaways:

1) The SS is silly fast on the climbs. Either hammer down or walk, and I wasn't about to walk.
2a) My legs feel it, but I didn't get even remotely as tired as I thought I would. I think my strength outweighs my cardio at the moment, so I'm sure that helps with the low cadence, high torque climbs.
2b) I cleaned everything. I wasn't sure how that would go, but pushing a big (non-granny) gear up a steep climb is way more doable than I imagined.
3) A quiet bike and not having to think about shifting really does have a big effect on the mental side of riding (picking lines, approaching climbs, etc.).
4) The question "Why?" comes up a lot.

The more I ride it, the more I love it.

#24 ·
Right on, I agree! I have owned so many of the latest and greatest HT & FS geared bikes along with always primarily riding & racing a SS. I end up selling my geared bikes with very low miles because I am not only faster on my SS but I enjoy it so much more!

Welcome to the rabbit hole snox700

#31 ·
Taking all of the above into consideration, it's still funny someone would come into the SS forum (ya know, the one where the ideas of simplicity and challenge reign supreme) and tell everyone how their battery-powered drivetrain with a whole bunch of gears is much better than, er, a single speed. I get it, SS isn't for everyone, but it damn sure is for me now. However, I won't be telling all my riding buddies they're wrong for still using those derailleur things, even though I kind of cringe when I look at one now...

Back on track... still loving the SS! Can't get enough of it. I'm legitimately faster (Strava doesn't lie, right?) and having more fun on the same trails. The super low maintenance aspect of the hardtail/SS combo is also nothing short of bliss. And as I mentioned earlier, the mental "freedom" of not constantly thinking about shifting is pretty substantial, more so than I imagined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.