Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Building SS XC Race Bike - Need Advice

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  834905 
#1 ·
Hi there, I'm looking to build a single speed xc race bike to get back into mtbing again. I've raced and ridden xc for a while but I'm new to ss. I'd appreciate some advice on some part selections.

Frame - My only real criteria are light weight, modern xc geo with a 100m fork, and preferably boost but I can live with 142 spacing. I'd also like geo built around 29 x 2.0-2.2 tires.

The are lots of frames that are close like the Karate Monkey, or Timberjack, but most of these tend to be on the heavier and more trail oriented side. Vassago's offerings are probably the closest to what I'm looking for but they never have any stock and their customer service is terrible.

Hubs - Do people prefer threaded track style hubs or splined hubs and cogs? I'm looking mostly at the Paul and Onyx hubs because they have boost spacing. I'm assuming that the biggest drawback of the Paul hubs is that you need to buy the $80 White freewheels? The Onyx hubs seem to have the best reviews but $600 Canadian dollars is a beat steep for just a rear hub.

#2 ·
I'm assuming that the biggest drawback of the Paul hubs is that you need to buy the $80 White freewheels? The Onyx hubs seem to have the best reviews but $600 Canadian dollars is a beat steep for just a rear hub.
no.you don't have to use white industry freewheel with the Paul hub. I used a cheap freewheel for a few cross race last season. IT works, but not as cool.

#3 ·
Budget?

Carver 420 Ti would be my first choice. A used Kona Raijin would be a very close second (can be hard to find).

Niner Air 9 Rdo, Pivot Les, Ibis Tranny, there's lots of fancy carbon options.

Not many steel XC frames left. So many have been discontinued, it's sad.

Hubs: Hope SS hub is affordable and available in any configuration if you don't mind the noise. I have one, can't beat it for the money, but it's LOUD.

My favorite hub is the Project 321 G2 SS with quiet pawls. Super high engagement, light weight, Made in the USA, and did I mention it's super quiet?

Hadley SS would be my second choice behind the P321. Good engagement, Made in the USA, available in a bunch of options, pretty darn quiet.

My biggest gripe with the Onyx is it's weight. On a race bike it sucks to pay that much to add a significant amount of weight.

I used a Surly hub with W.I. freewheel for a couple years and liked the setup. The downside is a lack of chainline adjustability, and it's more expensive and more of a pain to swap gears. Not necessarily a deal breaker though.

#4 ·
I ride and race SS almost exclusively (mainly endurance XC racing). I currently have a Raijin built with a Fox 32SC factory fork, I9 Pillar Carbon Ultralight wheels, Specialized 29X2.3" Fast Track tires, Carbon bar and post, Ergon saddle, XTR brakes and cranks. The frame is a large, ready to race (10oz of Finish Line in the tires, Backcountry Research strap with a tube, lever, and CO2, 2 bottle cages *no bottles*, and a One UP EDC 100cc pump/tool assembly) is sub 23 pounds. I only bring the EDC pump on non lap races, all the lap races I am just running an inflator head on a C02.

If I had to do it over I would choose the exact same setup. The only other frames that are comparable are any of the quality Ti frames (Carver 420 *only 1 bottle mount*, Vassago Optimus Ti, or any of the many custom Ti frames) or a Pivot Les. If I were to build a Les, which I have almost done several times the last 2 years but keep talking myself out of it, I would build it with the regular Pillar Carbons *not ultralight* a dropper post, and the Fox 34 SC. I think it would still be in the 23 pound range, climb as good as my Raijin, but totally haul ass on the down hills! Plus it would be a little smoother ride for the long distance stuff. Also I am of the opinion that skinny tires (anything under 2.25") are no longer options. I really like the 2.3 Fast Tracks as they are light and hook up great but they just don't ride as well as the 2.35 Ikons that I have raced for years.

For what it is worth I live in Maine, it is very rocky and rooty here. If I were in an area that was smoother I may be singing a different tune.

#6 ·
If carbon, then Pivot LES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Ti a Vassago Optimums or Mooseknuckle. If steel a Vassago Verhauen, I raced my Verhauen all season in singlespeed (3 wins, 2 2nd, 1 4th). Great bike. As for customer service. Vassago is small outfit so it can be hard for Tom to do it all.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd like to keep things under $3500 for everything. For this project carbon doesn't interest me very much so I'm looking mostly at the metal options. Ti is probably my first choice of material but it's hard to come by good frames that are still reasonably priced.

I recently stumbled upon the Kona Big Unit which really peaked my interest. The geometry is super close to what I want, it has sliding dropouts, decently light Scandium frame, and it's super cheap. I'll probably swing by a Kona dealer and see if I can get my hands on one.

I'm thinking that if the frame's only $600 I can dump a bunch of money into some fancier parts like wheels, brakes, crank, etc. I'm also <60kg so I can get away with some pretty weenie parts. From my research the P321 hub seems to be the nicest ss option so I'll probably start with that.

#8 ·
I'd like to keep things under $3500 for everything. For this project carbon doesn't interest me very much so I'm looking mostly at the metal options. Ti is probably my first choice of material but it's hard to come by good frames that are still reasonably priced.

I recently stumbled upon the Kona Big Unit which really peaked my interest. The geometry is super close to what I want, it has sliding dropouts, decently light Scandium frame, and it's super cheap. I'll probably swing by a Kona dealer and see if I can get my hands on one.

I'm thinking that if the frame's only $600 I can dump a bunch of money into some fancier parts like wheels, brakes, crank, etc. I'm also <60kg so I can get away with some pretty weenie parts. From my research the P321 hub seems to be the nicest ss option so I'll probably start with that.
I picked up a Big Unit this spring and am having a blast on it so far. Even with a steel fork and 29+ front setup, it's still under 24 pounds without much effort. I hope to do a few races in the late summer/fall with a proper swap for race tires.

#10 ·
My steel verhauen is 22.8lbs.

Stans Crest front wheel with 2.35 EXO Ikon
Stans Arch rear wheel with Hope hub with 2.2 XR3 team
Race Face turbine alu cranks
Thompson Elite seat post
Carbon 700mm wide bars
ESI grips
XT 785 brakes
Fox 32 SC (non boost) fork
530 SPD pedals

Light enough to race, but not crazy light either. The steel frame is really the limiting factor. It rides really well, but is a bit heavier (maybe 1.5lbs). However I don't think that 1.5lbs made any difference in my races this year and since I love how this bike rides I am sticking with it. It was my first season racing the bike and it did very well and most importantly is fun to ride with zero change from "race spec" to "normal ride spec".

#11 ·
About the Carver 420, it's not absolutely limited to one bottle. Their older designs have the same geo with a larger triangle so you can squeeze a second one in there there (size dependent...mine is an 18''). I got some clamps that fit the seat tube diameter and do just that for rides/races when I need more hydration. You'd have to do a special order and wait a few weeks but it is an option. You might even be able to add the second set of bottle cage bosses if you special order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.