Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quiet ss rear hubs?

5K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  272xp 
#1 ·
What are the options? If i could find something in the $200 range, even better. Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
Not sure what frame you have, the the stock hubs that came on my Salsa El Mar are some of the quietest I've owned. I've seen several sets of these wheelsets for sale used.

DT swiss 18t point are fairly quiet.

Onyx are silent but over your budget.

#9 ·
The hubs used on the Salsa are Formula hubs - as far as I know they are OEM only, but there are a number of bikes that have used them. I purchased a Raleigh XXIX back in '07 that came with these hubs. I still have the hub on my Salsa Selma. They are NOT light, but they are bullet-proof and really quiet. Inexpensive as well. If money is no object, Onyx is the standard-bearer for quiet and quick engagement, but you pay for it. I have never been a fan of loud hubs. To each their own, but the I9 and King noises just don't do it for me. Too bad, as they are really nicely made hubs. King seem to have gotten quieter the last couple of years, but this damn Formula hub just keeps working. Must be a division of Timex Co or something!

#4 ·
2nd on the Onyx, absolutely love that hub on my ROS9. Thinking of ditching my hadley on ROS9+ when I change rims. Coming from a hope ss/trials hub it totally changed my thinking about noisy hubs, silent fits SS. Only downside is I needed to buy a bell for busier trails.

Edit: just remembered mikesee had a 148 boost onyxx SS virtuall nrand new for sale, for lke $290

#6 ·
Hadley is the quietest SS hub at the lowest price. There's a bit of oil in there and keeps things pretty quiet, but not silent. Costs $330 ish.

The only thing that meets your price requirement is Hope (loud as hell) or DT 350 with 18t ratchet (not available as SS specific). Both are good quality but not ideal based on your questions.

The only other real quiet hub is Project 321, but again $400+ dollars.

I'd save up for a Hadley, they're sweet hubs, made in the USA.

#7 ·
My Hadley is only a notch below the Hope as far as noise, but Hadley much stouter and better quality, have broke the Hope outer axle before as have otherz (got a steel replacement from Hope bombproof now).

I'd keep an eye on classifieds here or Pinkbike, possibly Ebay for an Onyx on the cheaps.

#11 ·
I used to find the Hope metallic ratchet sound somehow enjoyable, but have run Hope SS/Trials, Hadley, CK, & Formula (Hadley closer to Hope in type of sound due to pawls, CK angry bees but maybe as loud as Hadley, the OEM Formula on my 2009 Peace 9R is quiet but low POE on that one sucks though they are still going and never serviced) By far now really enjoy the silence only broken up by the occasional sound of my tires. The ratchet sound feels really fatiguing on the ears and mind these days in comparison when I ride my ROS9(Onyx) vs ROS9+(Hadley). You get almost the best of both worlds, feels like fixie when you stomp on the pedals, but there's still the freewheel to enjoy the downhills or ratchet thru rocks. Reminds me need to sell Hope and CK hubs though both are 36H dinosaurs.

I'd just save up for Onyx if it's not needed immediately.

#12 ·
I have American Classics SS hub and it is silent. They are out of business but maybe find one used somewhere? I have seen them on Ebay in 135mm spacing. I bought the 142 axle conversion and swapped it recently and works great. I wish it had better engagement but it is light and rolls super smooth and quiet.

#15 ·
Have you thought about going to a freewheel hub? Phil wood makes a nice hub, and Shimano freewheels are dead quiet...
If weight isn't a big deal, Surly makes Freewheel hub that's pretty bombproof and inexpensive.
I blew apart 3 or 4 Shimano freewheels before I bought a White industries freewheel but those are not quiet. Nothing sucks worse than a shattered freewheel and 5 mile walk to the truck.

Reactions: Sage of the Sage
#22 ·
I would not go for a freewheel cog hub combo as suggested if you want a quiet hub. The WI is the best and sounds at the least like a swarm of nice bees. The Shimano freewheels are cheap, cannot be rebuilt and will crud up and die at some point. I don't believe the Token freewheels are any quieter, but have no experience with them.
The Hopes will be loud due to larger pawls which does not bother me in slightest as I use the freehub noise to alert others on the trail to my presence. My preference over a bell, but not what you want if your main goal is a quiet hub. Onyx uses a sprag clutch unlike every other hub on the market and that is why the engagement is instantaneous and quiet. I recently learned they are in MN, so now I have to find/save some money to get a pair. Anyway, if you need hub silence it will cost you, being a trail ninja does not come cheap.

#27 ·
Ended up being about $90 less than onyx with shipping, and about half the weight.

Funny thing is, this was supposed to be kind of a beater bike I could take to the parks and not worry destroying my "expensive bike". I didnt pay more than $200 for any other part on it, but i got it in my head that I wanted quiet...

#35 ·
- sort of love my "killer bees" i-9 hub, let's the folks walking the trails know I'm coming their way, especially in the twisted, curvy areas.......of course, using my incredibell helps, too.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.