Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Capra - which wheelsize

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  cakeba 
#1 ·
Hey! Me being 5'11", which wheel size would you recommend for me. I do prefer a playful character, on the other hand I really value stability and grip. I don't care that much about top speeds, agility is rather my priority. How big is the difference between them both and how would you describe the different riding characteristics

#2 ·
Height has f all to do with what wheel size you should buy. 27.5 should be a bit more playful and a better jumper. 29 will hold momentum better (but take longer to earn it) and be more of a ground hugging ride. I'm 6'3" and roughly 200lbs and vastly prefer 27.5 bikes, not for the air time but the quicker handling in very tight trails.

#3 ·
If you want playful, stick to 27.5 wheelsize. Just picked up a 27.5 CF pro and it seems easier to toss around in berms than my all time favorite Pivot Switchblade...even with almost 50mm more travel. Haven’t had too many rides on the Capra yet but it carves switchbacks easier and feels about as stable on the straights at speed. Still love my Pivot on 90% of the trails I ride but the Capra will make a great park bike and rowdy trail alternate when the Pivot needs a rest.

#4 ·
Height doesn't really have anything to do with wheel size unless you are really, really short; like little kid size.

If you want playful and don't really care about speed, sure I'd say go for 27. I, for one, don't find the differences that dramatic. The way people talk, I think I must be in the minority here - I find the differences pretty subtle.

Another plus to the 27 is they aren't already sold out for the year...

#5 ·
Well so far everything points towards a 27". For me personally the 29er was all about the gain in traction and the compensation of small obstacles, especially on steep sections to raise confidence.

Height doesn't really have anything to do with wheel size unless you are really, really short; like little kid size.

If you want playful and don't really care about speed, sure I'd say go for 27. I, for one, don't find the differences that dramatic. The way people talk, I think I must be in the minority here - I find the differences pretty subtle.

Another plus to the 27 is they aren't already sold out for the year...
I think here in Europe both are still available from June on

#6 ·
I’ve now got a few more rides on my 27.5 CF Pro and can say with certainty this bike does not carry speed well on the flats or even mellow DH. I found myself having to pedal in sections where my Switchblade would maintain and accelerate. Almost ended up over the bars on one technical drop having to wheelie drop at the last minute as it almost stalled on the lip. I’m sure part of it is the 29” wheel advantage of the SB and the fact I’m still running the TRS tire on the rear, but it was a pretty dramatic difference. It absolutely shines on rowdy, steep terrain and gives me the same confidence as if I’m on my dh rig. Will likely save the Capra for park service and days where I feel like working more. If you’re wanting something more trailable, I’d go for the 29” option.

#7 ·
The rear suspension on the Capra 27 is so active and supple and the tires are so beefy that I don't think you should worry about grip. The stock tires are also very aggressive. The 29'er has been reported to be more firm and YT says they gave it a different shock tune, so the 27.5 bike might make up for lack of 29er-ness with its superb suspension. Also, remember that 27.5 is inherently stiffer and lighter, two things that greatly influence bike playfulness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.