Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

time to go custom?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JoePAz 
#1 ·
I have a question about reach and climbing. I'm 6'4" and ride an XL 2012 Karate Monkey with a 120mm stem and an 800mm bar. I leave my saddle down like a dirt jumper because everything around here is up or down. So my concern is just standing reach, not seated pedaling. The old KM has a short reach (445mm or so) that I'm compensating for that with the long stem. But ideally, I'd like to run a short (50-60mm) stem on a bigger bike. I just can't put down power without something to pull back on. But I'd like to be able to descend with more confidence. My geared fs bike (in XXL) has a 60mm stem/800mm bar, and I'm much more stable on that.

I've eyed something like an XL Honzo with its 510mm reach. But I'm really more interested in something lighter than my KM. I'm thinking about something like a Waltworks with a 510 or 520mm reach. Failing that, I could find something like a Kona Unit (485mm), a Santa Cruz Chameleon (485/490mm, depending on 29 or 27.5). There are of long Chromag frames, but they're burlier than I need. I think I'm after longer, lighter, xc frames.

So, here's my question. Are there any options out there for an xc-weight steel or aluminum SS frame that would get me a reach close to the Honzo's? Or should I just get over the weight question and just get a Honzo?

#4 ·
Custom steel is the best way to get exactly what you want, great ride quality, perfect size, etc. Can't recommend it highly enough. It's also a fun project and learning experience.

The steel Honzo is a sweet bike, super fun, but I'm not sure it fits your criteria except for reach. That's not what comes to mind based on your description, despite the fact that I'm a huge fan on Honzo geo.

If you have a custom steel budget, you also have more options like Ti or carbon.

Carver 420 Ti is one that came to mind. Available in big sizes. Titanium 420 - Carver Bikes

Last year I was in a similar situation trying to find a frame. I was between an off the shelf Ti and custom steel. (Kona Raijin Ti or Carver 420 ti) I ended up with a custom steel frame. While I still lust after a Ti frame, I'm happy with the outcome.

I got a filet brazed True Temper OX Platinum steel frame with the geometry I wanted (pretty similar to the Kona Raijin) that's plenty strong, fits great, handles exactly how I wanted, rides great, and I got to pick my paint color (translucent Blue). It's my primary trail bike set up rigid SS. Fun bike.

Most important thing is finding a builder that communicates well and you feel comfortable with. You should be on the same page before any money exchanges hands.

Here's mine.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle frame Blue Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle frame

#5 ·
+1 for custom steel.

Walt is awesome. I've got one of his SS 29er's and will definitely be getting a "more modern" MTB frame with wider chain stays and semi-slacked out geometry from him at some point (when my kids are outta college or sooner lol).

I don't have any desire to go wider than 142x12 rear axle (mainly so that I can swap in and use existing CK and DT wheel sets that I have running on other bikes) unlike many who are going boost.

Scott Quiring up in MI is another builder that does cool stuff in steel, stainless, Ti, ...; and is quite good (my wife's 29er is his handiwork).

#6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. You've given me more options to consider. I kind of like the idea/price of the Carver 420, although I'm assuming the geometry numbers on the page are mistaken. (In the biggest sizes, the reach is shown as getting shorter as the bikes get bigger.) Still, if most of the reach measurements are accurate, it looks like buying the biggest size would net me a reach between 490 and 500mm, which sounds good.

Titanium 420 - Carver Bikes

I'm also taking more looks at the Chameleon. For the money, and since I'm going to run front suspension, I don't mind aluminum.

Now I've just got to get out and see some bikes. Someone local is selling a Spot Rocker SS in 27.5+ (480mm reach), and I might check that out despite my determination to get a bike long enough that I can run a sub-70mm stem and still give me enough to pull back on when climbing.

PS, *OneSpeed*, that's a beautiful bike!

#8 ·
Custom is definitely the way to go. I have looked into it multiple times, but ultimately I never pull the trigger because most builders are at least 6 months out... you basically need to anticipate what you want to ride for the next season and pull the trigger asap.

#9 ·
I have friend at 6'7" and he picked up a custom Coconino Cycles steel lugged frame. Really sweet. He went with 29x3.0 tires on it.

I have another friend at 6'5" with custom Ti Vassago. The good thing about any custom bike is being able to match the tube lengths to your body. Longer legs or longer torso? With a custom you can get that all dialed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.