Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone go from rigid SS to FS SS?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  teamdicky 
#1 ·
I'm currently riding a rigid SS and am trying SS racing after a few seasons of racing xc on a fs bike. The rigid SS is fun and fast but my body gets beat up a little especially on longer races.

Anyone set up their fs bike SS using the rohloff chain tensioner? I wonder if I could carry more speed on the FS bike. My fs bike (Scott spark) would probably weigh the same as my current rigid SS and has a lockout for the fork and shock so it would be fairly efficient.

Still, steel hardtail SS have a special something. I'm curious to hear from people who set up their FS bike SS and if they liked it or not.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have two rigid SS 29ers, geared hard tail and geared FS (Spark 930) bikes.

My recommendation would be to run a (tubeless setup) 3.0" tire on the rigid SS (with a 30-35mm rim) for a bit more cush (Chupacabra is my favorite) and forget about SS FS or mutant soft tail setups.

Depending on the terrain, SS hard tail can slow you down compared to rigid (especially carbon fork) in front end extra weight and even more so if there are a lot of log over's and rocks that you have to lift up the front end to traverse.

#3 ·
I’m a big rigid and hardtail fan, but am looking at building up an FSSS on a new Canfield Riot. Although not a rigid or HT, it seems many of the new FS designs have very efficient pedaling characteristics.

Don’t know how that plays out for racing. Guess it would depend on the course and your fitness, and whether the increase in speed in the descents makes up for any energy loss on the climbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
People get too bent out of shape when it comes to how their bikes pedal. I leave my fork open all of the time, and very, very rarely lock the rear on my FSSS and I have no issues pedalling it up and down mountains.

I had a Rohloff on my Tallboy and it worked very well, but I ended up swapping to a Zee derailleur with a short piece of cable to set the position on it. Since the Zee has a clutch, it helped with chain slap and prevents the chain from wanting to walk a tooth if things get too bouncy and I want to pedal.

If you like SS'ing and you like riding full suspension, there's no reason not to put the two together.

FWIW, I have a rigid bike and an FS bike that I like equally. I'm faster on the FS bike. Riding rigid has a certain, je ne sais quoi to it.

Attachments

#8 ·
I SS'ed a Tallboy boinger when they first came out. Since then, I've tried to convert to gears a couple times, just looking to do something different. My brain just doesn't work with them.

Bought a Bronson back in November, and I'm liking the ride... just not the gears.

Never gonna get rid of my rigid SS, but built this up Sunday. Not ridden it yet:

#6 ·
Never ridden a rigid mtb, and never will, since it's not suitable for some of the terrain here. Only reason I got a FS bike was getting beat to pieces on a hardtail, and the only reason it's SS is that's how I prefer to ride, for better or worse.
But, yeah, it has gobs of traction, carries a lot more speed over rough terrain, and lets me go a lot faster on rough downhills. My SS'd Canfield Riot has a ~8.4# frame/shock. Especially with heavy tires, it's slow to accelerate, plus a bit of a pig on climbs and tight switchbacks. Also slow in the flowy stuff, since I need a gear that I can make the climbs on-and that gear could probably be higher on a lighter and "non-FS" bike.
So it's a compromise, but one I willingly make to be able to ride the way I want and without pain(except in my quads!) due to injuries. While fully aware of the downsides, and not really prone to recommending it for anyone else, I love it.

This is the beginning of a descent/end of climb where I ride most. Not real steep, but I have to imagine that a rigid bike would be like riding a jackhammer.
Clothing Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

#7 ·
I have a rigid aluminum Stache single speed that I race. 3" tires with a carbon fork/seatpost/handlebar helps take the jack hammer out of the ride quality a good bit. That said, it isn't a FS plush ride. My geared bike is a 120/120 FS which I have marathon raced (50+ milers), but I actually prefer the SS as a race platform. Its more fun.

In our local race series, single speeds do the same course as Cat. 2 racers. We go first and about 2 minutes later the Cat. 2 racers follow.

I am way faster on the Stache than the '16 Fuel EX full carbon bike. I don't have a choice, as I only have one gear (always the wrong one) and if I am going to make it up those hills I have to fly!

Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.