Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear brake disc conversion - Surly 1x1 older model

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  J.B. Weld 
#1 ·
First ever post, so please don't roast me for not having correct verbiage...

I am currently putting together a single speed using an older Surly 1x1 frame. The fork is disc compatible, but the frame itself does not appear to be. I have been told that an adapter would allow the Avid BB7s I got to attach to the frame, and I have been told that the adapter is not worth it, will not work, and that I should just leave the rim brake on the back.

For context, I live in Milwaukee and ride the trails around the city which are single track and mostly in the kettles. I imagine that an adapter would be functional for the level of riding I am doing, but would like other opinions.

Here is the dropout on the bike - could you tell me what adapter I should buy? Or if I should not bother? Thanks!

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
Don’t bother. I have a later model 1x1 with the rear disc mount. I only upgraded to a rear disc back there maybe a year ago. It was front disc rear v forever. I’d be worried about safety and reliability using an adapter. Mostly safety. Get yourself an old school brake booster and you will barely notice it’s v brakes back there.

#3 ·
You'll find the value of the original 1x1s is climbing.

You may be able to swap for one of those later ones...

But consider using a drum brake.

#7 ·
There's a considerable Retro MTB movement. The smart guys are snapping up the old classics before the rest wake up to it.

1x1s have quite a following.

#5 ·
I don't think you can adapt a horizontal dropout to disc without some serious modification. The caliper mount would have to move with the wheel since you'd be moving the rotor backwards when tensioning the chain. There's just no easy way to accomplish that if it's possible at all.

#6 ·
I agree with the above posts, it isn't worth the trouble, and the drum brake suggestion may honestly be a good one. I agree with jestep that the correct way to do this is to take it to a local framebuilder who could attach the correct slotted disc brake mount to move the caliper into the correct position depending on the axle placement in the dropout. My MUSS and the newer Surly's have the that style of brake mount, look at pics to see how it should be done.

That said, you may have a collector's item that someone may be willing to take off your hands so that you can purchase/trade for a newer disc version of the frame.

#10 ·
Wouldn't a brake booster make it worse. To me the biggest issue with V's compared to discs is the lack of modulation. But, I've never had any issue locking up a rear wheel at virtually any speed. Even a $5 set of Avid SD3's will dead stop a rear wheel without much problem.

#11 ·
Some frames have such noodly seatstays that it's impossible to adjust a v (or cantilever) brake to be able to lock up. I've seen this mostly on older (real old) frames, most companies figured this out pretty quick and beefed them up appropriately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.