Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Road frame

909 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Velobike 
#1 ·
Hellooo fellow SSers

Looking for some frame advice. I ride SS on my mtb on a cotic simple 29. Which i love. I also have a alu, geared (sorry) road bike which is fine but I dont want to ride it everyday round london and risk having it nicked everytime i lock it up. So what im looking for is a cheapish ss road frame. Preferably with horizontal or sliding drops or track ends. But here's the kicker, i want disc brakes too.

Heres what ive found so far.

Trek crockett
Allcity natureboy
Surly straggler
Genesis day1

Anything else anyone knows of?

Its going to be a bike for round town that i dont mind locking up hence the reason for not wanting to spend a kidney on it.

Ta

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Straggler? I think you mean Steamroller.

Here's mine, a Gunnar Streetdog I picked up for $40, frame with a few parts, extremely stuck seatpost. Took me about a month to get the post out, using a torch. Powder coat, gather the parts and build, good to go!

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

#4 ·
#8 ·
At least 32c tire clearance. Not bothered about fenders. Always thought id be looking for a cx frame. I tried a tensioner on my mtb and always had a bad tine with it hence the want for horizontals. But I'm willing to give it a go if I find something with everything else.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
get a cheapo fixed gear bike (takes care of rear brake). i'd say ride that for a while to decide if you really need a disc up front. if so buy a cheap cross fork and front wheel that is disc compatible.

cheap zippy city bike that is fun as hell to ride. fixed gear is the best when things get dicey. better control than any brakes will give...

#10 ·
Look for a Transition Rapture or Traitor Crusade. I think they are the same frame. I got a Traitor for $500 from Evo.com but they are out. 35mm seems to be the maximum rear tire size.

What about a State Thunderbird?
BikesDirect has one as well.
Raleigh had some ss cx bikes
On One Pompetamine?

I am surprised to see you're willing to buy something that expensive that will be locked up. Go CHEAP in that case.

Why disc brakes? I've visited London so I understand if you want all-weather braking.

#12 ·
Take a look at Cube Hyde Pro frames being discounted at

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-hyde-pro-frame-black-n-blue-695500

It's sturdy, got an EBB, so you get a clean back end, and no hassle with wheel alignment. I'm pretty sure it has internal cable routing. Also you may be able to get up 2" tyres in there if you want to do the odd bit of gravel or rough road stuff.

I built up a similar Cube frame for my daughter with 2" tyre and mudguards, and it works well on gravel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.