Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Santa Cruz 5010c = Singlespeed?

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Shinkers 
#1 ·
Since the used bike market is **** right now, I am considering converting my 5010c to a FS single speed. I have googled & searched here for suggestions on the best tensioner to use (or if this is a horrible idea), and most everything is old (links, ideas, opinions). Just curious if any ideas have evolved, or since this topic is pretty much not discussed anymore if anyone has any new insight?

I am thinking of firming up he suspension a bit to take some of the bounciness out, putting my non-dropper back in it, making it a 32x20 and having some fun on the days my back just doesn't want to cooperate. Also don't want to lose my ass dumping it for some other bike.

I would love to use the Shimano Alfine tensioner, as it seems like this would be the most cost effective way to give it a shot. I know it's not chic like the Rolhoff or the Paul, but would it work ok?

#6 ·
Got a Tallboy around a month and a half ago that I'm SS'ing with a Rohloff.

I have nothing but good things to say about that tensioner, and am thinking hard about selling my hard tail.

Alfine should work fine, but I think the chainline is strange (but so is the Rohloff so..)

I also run my pressure a bit on the firm side (still dialing it up actually), and I'd say leave the dropper on. I'm finding mine is becoming more of a necessity all the time.

#10 ·
I SS'ed my Banshee Phantom in the fall in '16. I picked up a short cage Sram RD via the Pinkbike classified and used it with great success just by playing with the limit screws.

Loved it to death--it might have been my favorite version of the bike while I had it. If I lived someplace different, I would absolutely consider a full time SS FS bike. I simply don't have the legs for the summer time climbs here in the PNW.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Bicycle tire

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part

#12 ·
If the shimano tensioner doesn't work the melvin definitely will r as others posted just a short cage derailleur if you don't mind the aesthetics. You can run 3x1 with the melvin so it can definitely take up slack as needed. Because it's designed similar to a derailleur it's pretty much foolproof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.