Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SS Specific Frame To Swap Parts To.

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  blaklabl 
#1 ·
I have a SC 5010c I am seriously considering getting rid of. But before I do, I was wondering if there is a solid SS option frame that I could move wheels and components over to, including the fork. Obviously it’s a 27.5, and I have really no interest in tires larger than 2.4/2.5. Realistically it would just need to take a tapered fork and a 142x12 dropout. Built in tensioner would be helpful, I could always relace a rim to an eno if needed. Steel preferably. Not custom.

Does anything like this exist that I am not thinking of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
Kona Unit. More built for B+, but if you're running a sus fork, that would raise the BB up more than enough to make pedal strikes a non issue. Has a 44mm HT so an external cup and you're good to go for tapered, sliding drop outs. So far very happy with mine, only on it now for just over 2 weeks, geared. Frameset comes with SS and geared QR drop outs, you'd have to buy the 142 drop outs, but as a plus, you also get a rigid fork, should you decide to give that a go.

#9 ·
Karate Monkey is a similar frame to consider, with a slightly smaller BB drop than the Unit. Has slotted dropouts with options to go 135, 142 or 148.

Looks like there are still purple & black framesets out there in warehouses, not all sizes. My LBS told me the next batch is supposed to come out in May.

#12 ·
The Unit and Karate Monkey are 29/27+ frames afaik. Putting 27.5x2.4's on them is going to bring your bb pretty low. A Kona Explosif on the other hand would work perfectly. Steel frame, sliding dropouts and geo based on a suspension fork. And they're pretty cheap.
Good point. I never paid much attention to that model since I'm in the 29er camp. Looks like they take the same dropout conversions to go from boost to 142.

KONA PARTS | Kona Parts Store

#17 ·
I completely understand moving everything over from your 5010, but if your planning on selling the 5010 IMO it may sell better as a complete bike. You would obviously get more $ for it as a complete, maybe not enough to completely cover a SS build. But if you choose your parts carefully I bet you could get very close with a damn nice build. Most importantly you could go to 29er and have way more frame options. Not trying to change your mind, just thinking out loud. Sorry not very helpful...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.