Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XC Riding in Jasper, Alberta

5K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  mtnbikermitch 
#1 ·
I live and work in Jasper and since the trails are sleeping under snow right now I wanted to sell the place.
We see 100's of bikes pass through Jasper to radder more known MTB destinations. If you enjoy long xc rides with stunning vistas, Jasper should be on your radar. We don't have shuttles, we don't have brap-tastic berms, not a single "flow" trail in sight. Just endless singletrack with not that many people.
I'm finding riders really want the manicured trails these days which isn't Jasper. Rooty, rocky, smooth repeat. The flow here is how well you create it by skill and speed alone.
I guess you would call the riding here "old school" I firmly believe as new riders branch away from manufactured trails places like Jasper will see a resurgence of sorts, back to natural trails that go somewhere. (usually a lake around here)
Couple fire road lung busting climbs for those that want to train or suffer for great views. Awesome place to introduce someone to off road riding as the valley bottom trails are smooth and pleasant. Valemount, 1 hour west of us, has the flow and shuttle trails so it makes a nice compliment to our riding.
Thanks for looking...Its a quiet day at work. Bicycle tire Nature Mountainous landforms Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire Nature
Nature Daytime People Natural environment Yellow
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Nature Mode of transport Bicycle wheel

See less See more
#9 ·
Jasper

Ah yes! Don't sell it to too many people though! I think biking in Jasper is the best kept secret out there. We love, love, love it. You are right that there aren't a lot of trails with big features built on to them, but I feel like there is pretty much no where else where you can bike so far off the beaten track and so far into the back country. So many fun trails right around town and so many long trails where you could literally ride for days! Can't wait 'til summer! Our rides usually involve following our kids around but we are looking forward to two glorious, kid free weeks this summer to hit up some harder, longer routes! Nature Wood Natural environment Natural landscape Landscape
Nature Natural environment Mountain bike Mountain biking Plant community
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Soil Bicycle

#41 ·
My husband is there riding right now and the trails are in perfect condition. There are a few trail closures though. 8, 8c, 8d, 8e, and 8f up on the bench are closed and part of trail 7 at the back of the golf course may still be closed as well so plan your rides accordingly and/or check in at the info centre.

#2 ·
We toured around BC for 3 months this summer. Nearing the end of the trip we did a last minute trip up to Jasper to get out of the smoke.

Staying at the Whistlers campground, we did a couple days of riding. One day we rode out to Wabasso lake on trail 12/9, the back into Jasper on Trail 9 and returned home. Another ride we did Magic Ridge and Gagnes in a couple loops.

Weather and doing some touristy stuff kept us from riding more, but what we saw, we really enjoyed and it was a nice contrast to much of other riding we had done. Definitely a great area to explore!

#10 ·
OP, good to know, I am an old grouch who will ride those modern flow trails, IF that's all there is, but my love is good, old school, natural trails. Will definitely add Jasper to my list of places to visit on my next trip to Alberta, would be along with Canmoore into Banff. Any other places you might suggest in Alberta if you were doing a loop from Edmonton, down south through Calgary and up through Banff to Jasper and back to Edmonton?

#11 ·
Kananaskis. Exshaw. Hinton is fun for an hour or two. Edson has a mere 5-7 km or so but ridiculously fun and quite pretty in a river valley marshy sort of way. But leaving Jasper for Edson and Hinton is tough. Jasper needs 2 days minimum to really see it. Super fun Group ride every tuesday night for short hits with laughs and a pint after. Soooo many kms....

This is a 22 km return out and back pic from a trail that Parks Canada allowed cycling on for the first time last year.
Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory

Trail called Ganjes. Pic taken 24 minutes from my deck and a beer cooler. I love it here...
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Forest Wilderness Bicycle wheel rim

#12 ·
Yahsper - More details about Ganjes please! I don't see it on trailforks.

Big ones we have planned for the summer are Snake Indian Falls, and Fryatt before the road closes. Would also like to do the entire Overlander and not just the Moberlander. Was thinking of Saturday Night Lake Loop or even just part of it but I've heard mixed reviews. What do you think? Any other suggestions? We have 2 weeks and plan to do a ton of biking and a bit of hiking. Planning to do the Pyramid Bike n' Hike as well.

#14 · (Edited)
I see it now (Ganges). Where exactly on the trail is the waterfall/creek? We've done the trail just to the north 3e to 3 I think. Is 3e the trail that is kind of rainforesty and runs beside a creek? Loved that little bit of trail!

The pic with the lake above is at Marjorie Lake. We came back via 3a and Wynd road though. The ride out to Minnow is on our list too. Is Ganjes fun in both directions? Could take that route one direction anyway.

Maybe we will run into you on the trail! We spend a lot of time in Jasper. We probably know a bunch of the same people anyway. Maybe we even know each other! Haha!

#15 ·
LyNx - We really enjoy Hinton too although not as much as we love Jasper. They have some great trails there and we always plan a bit of time there either on our way to or from Jasper. My husband and I really enjoyed the Happy Creek trail with some side forays onto the Beaver Boardwalk.

Where are you coming from> Are you planning to ride in Edmonton too?

#17 · (Edited)
Yes, now that I read it back, my post is confusing. :p I thought you were saying that the waterfall was on Ganges.

We rode 3e (a short section of trail that starts at the Cabin Creek parking lot and runs along side trail 3 before meeting up with it) to trail 3 to just past Marjorie and and came back on 3a/Wynd road. Next time we do it (without kids) we will head back on Ganjes.

So the waterfall is out by Pobokton? Is that the new trail you were talking about? Trail 132 - Brazeau on Trailforks? That hike (from Wilcox) is on my wish list. How was the ride? The description in Trailforks doesn't sound too enticing...

#18 ·
That description seems off. Might be unpleasant and very wet early season. Mostly climbing from the Poboktan parking lot. Some mud. Best ridden mid summer to fall. I walked a bit through some mud but a stronger rider can ride the whole thing. Beautiful views at times. Very much a "backcountry feel" No cell coverage.

#19 ·
Awesome, thanks! Our two kid-less weeks are beginning of July so if it's been fairly warm and dry, sounds like that would be a great ride!

How's the valley looking right now? We will probably be in Jasper for Easter or for the weekend before. Trying to decide if we should bring our bikes, our cross-country skis, both or neither!

#21 ·
Hey Yahsper! How are things looking now in Jasper? We are heading there tomorrow (Tuesday) and staying for the Easter weekend. Anything dry enough to ride yet? Doesn't need to be the good singletrack as we have kids, but any dry-ish trails around town would be great! If not, do you know if there is still much snow up around Maligne? Thanks!

#30 ·
Awesome! My husband will be there all next week and is looking forward to hitting the trails! Jealous we can’t go with him. Darn school....

Yes. Fingers crossed for no big fires this summers and that the Firesmarting helps keep things safe around there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.