Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GX Eagle Creaking

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  beastmaster 
#1 ·
Anybody else having their Eagle derailleur creak? I have only about 100 mile on the bike and the creaking got pretty bad on my last ride. I thought it was the bottom bracket at first, but did some research online and found this video which is the same issue I'm having.

I removed the hanger from the frame and found the hanger bolt had been over tightened and the derailleur mounting bolt was under tightened. Fixed that, cleaned up the derailleur and this seemed to minimize the creak. However, there still seems to be some residual creaking. Curious if anyone else is having this issue?

#2 ·
I had some creaking in my GX 1x11. It usually goes away if I remove the axle and retighten it to torque specs. Don't know why it happens but 90% of the time, that fixes it. The other 10% of the time, I fixed it by pulling the cassette and greasing all the contact points with the XD driver.

#3 ·
It has been two seasons since I ran Sram stuff. But I had a similar creak with my last Sram RD (XO1 1x11). It was the clutch assembly. It is supposedly self-lubricating. My mechanic showed me the move to eliminated it. With the RD dropped to the small end of the cassette, meaning the RD cage is pulled all the way back parallel to the floor, move the whole cage from full back to full front, otherwise know as its full travel path fore and aft (careful, don't twist the cage or RD!). Repeat this 10-15 times and that sound should stop. Try it! See if that works for you. It did for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.