Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Coconino 250 first timer suggestions

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Birdss 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I'm gonna try the Coco 250. I'm excited, overwhelmed, and maybe a little over my head on this one.

For those who have done this or have bikepacking experience:

What is something you wish you brought?

One thing you cannot live without when bikepacking?

Most useful item in your setup?

What's the hardest stage of the Coco 250?

Is is possible to do without a GPS and use a phone and cue sheets instead?

I've done a few overnighters here and there to get gear setup, and to make sure I have what I need.

I'm looking for items like superglue, which can be used in multiple ways.

I will be camping out the first 2 nights, then I have a room in Williams for the 3rd night.

Thanks much and happy riding!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Best of luck out there!! It's a tough route, but really good.

Can't say I missed anything while out there. Just be sure to do your due diligence re: weather. First year I did it, it was below freezing up on Mingus for night 2, the next time was pleasant. Both years had weather issues, started in Sedona the first time and bypassed parts of the AZT south of Flag the second due to death mud.

Water filter!! I'm currently using a Katadyn BeFree filter. Love that thing.

Most useful?? Burrito. Gets me over mountains and such. Seriously though, tire sealant. Make sure that stuff is topped off and carry extra. There are sections out there that can be loaded with goat heads.

GPS vs. Phone. I'm partial to the GPS. Could you do the route via cues & phone, sure, but it may be a PITA in some sections. Namely Sedona and the final miles into Flagstaff have a ton of turns that are easy to miss.

#3 ·
Oh yeah, hardest day? Day 3. It's long, can be hot, all your supplies were hopefully purchased the day before in Cottonwood and the toughest part is at the end going up/over Bill Williams Mtn. It's rather tempting to stay straight on the pavement and skip BW in favor of a smooth 4 mile downhill coast into town. I caved and did just that the second time. Since this is your first run, you gotta go over BW!!

#5 ·
What is something you wish you brought?
>warm socks for nighttime

One thing you cannot live without when bikepacking?
>a copy of Siddhartha

Most useful item in your setup?
>other than the bike, my Mountain Hardware Phantom 32 bag

What's the hardest stage of the Coco 250?
>Mingus to Williams....but depends on the Wx...for instance, Lime Kiln can be a junk punch because if it's dry, you'll be pushing downhill in fine sand in spots

Is is possible to do without a GPS and use a phone and cue sheets instead?
>Possible with cue sheets, don't rely on phone (even if you have Verizon which is best in rural areas of the state)...but GPS is recommended....parts of the sedona to cottonwood are a bit obscure on the route (Lime Kiln)

#7 ·
A few suggestions...
1. Assuming a normal Flagstaff start (if weather is good), day 1 is the easiest...no need to start at the crack of dawn if you don't want to.
2. Days 2 and 3 (Top of Schnebly to Top of Mingus, Top of Mingus to Williams) are tough ones back to back. Try and get a super early start on both of those days or you'll be rolling in the dark.
3. Hit the BBQ joint in Cottonwood on route before heading up Mingus...good solid food there. And be sure to carry all the water you'll need to get you to the Verde. No good or reliable sources on that stretch.
4. Wear your good HAB shoes...you'll need them up Mingus and for other parts of the route.
5. If there's a heavy dew on morning one at the top of Schnebly, you'll wanna dry your stuff out in the sun before night 2...do that while you're eating BBQ!
6. Have fun! The stage format is cool...

#8 ·
To add to Ray and John.

First, I would never recommend using a phone for navigation. My <$200 eTrex 30 is far more rugged, with much greater battery life.

The most important thing you can bring is a sense of humor. When you are going up Mingus and the ciimb gets ludicrous steep, don't get mad - just have a good laugh at how ridiculous it is. And when you are pushing your bike up Bill Williams - even though there is a nice dirt road very close to the trail - you just gotta laugh and say "because AES".

My wife and I started before dawn on days 2 and 3 and were glad we did so. Those days are long and and have the most difficult sections in the 2nd half of the day.

Pro tip. On day one, before you cross 17, go north on the freeway to Munds and pick up a six pack from one of the gas stations. It is a short day and you should have time to go get some some brews to share with other riders at the most incredible camping spot.

One more. Like Ray said, stop at the barbecue place before MIngus, and get an extra sandwich for dinner or lunch the next day. Can never have too many calories.

This is a memorable ride. Enjoy!

#9 ·
I'd definitely go with GPS with the track loaded. I wasn't able to get a track loaded when I did Coco. Fortunately Schillingsworth was nice enough to let me tag along with him. Looking at cue sheets at the time there's no way I would have been able to follow them alone, and phone apps weren't a thing yet. It might be easier now with Trailforks, but even so you will spend a lot of time trying to navigate. These are long enough days you'll want to be able to spend that time pedaling instead.

Sedona to Mingus was the hardest day for me, which was our day 1. We got a late-ish start after changing start location due to rain. Even with the extra miles I thought Mingus to Williams was easier. The HAB/climb up Williams isn't as steep as Mingus and you aren't carrying a load of food/water for the next day.

Some other good advice is to come prepared. Rides can take longer than you think and all sorts of things can go wrong. Make sure you have a few key spare parts and tools to address things that could otherwise ruin your ride: derailleur hanger, spare shifter cable, spare brake pads and spreader clip, spare tubes, spare clipless cleat and bolts, extra sealant etc. Bring tools to fix flats. Carry enough battery life capacity for lights/devices to get you through night rides and long days. Bring a spare light like a camping headlamp in case something goes wrong with your main one. Read up on past trip reports to give you a better idea of what to expect, where you can resupply/eat, and where issues might arise. You can't bring everything with you, but you'll want to bring more than you would for a normal day ride.

#10 ·
Thanks much! I really appreciate all this information. Makes me feel much better about the experience to come. I do plan on going to Munds to stock up.

I will be getting early starts on day 2 and 3, great advice!!

Evdog, thanks for the list of gear, I see things in there I've not thought of.

I have ridden Flag to Sedona and Flag to Jerome, so I know what some of this will include. I'm going to assume that most the AZT is marked well. I'm familiar with Schnebly to Redrock State Park. I raced single speed at Fire on the Rim for the 45er, so I know HAB.

Looks like I will be renting/borrowing a GPS to be on the safe side.

Once again, thanks!

#11 ·
I raced single speed at Fire on the Rim for the 45er, so I know HAB.
Now that's funny. Don't take this the wrong way, but there's no comparison to the FotR HAB and what lies on 'ol man Mingus & Bill Williams. The Mingus HAB still ranks in my top 3 all time, CTR included. As Jeff noted, keep your sense of humor!!

#17 ·
some pretty important info on the route over on the Coco web page. Maverick being closed is a pretty big deal since that is the last resupply until Williams.
https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/5-coconino-250-and-350/

Chris Seistrup | September 29, 2017 at 7:30 am
A few things to note from my ITT last weekend, Be very careful on the way down from Stage Stop One, the trail is washed out and should be walked for a second. Broken Arrow in Sedona has been rerouted, watch for and follow the signs. Lime Kiln Trail is very difficult to follow but is all rideable. Pay close attention to the track, and the cairns to spot the route. The grass in many portions is waist high. Maverick in Cottonwood is closed for renovations, refill in Old Town if you can. As usual, there are lots of trees down on the Bill Williams descent, use caution if riding down in the dark. Have fun, be safe! Coconino 250 ITT - Lost On A Bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.