Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Does anyone actually own the 2017 hawk hill?

10K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  shekky 
#1 ·
Does anyone actually own the new hawk hill? there are a lot of glowing reviews from people demoing the bike but I have not seen anyone who actually owns it.

#7 ·
I bought mine in April. It's my first full suspension bike. I'm coming off a GT hardtail. I've been on roughly 20 rides with it here in Florida. Mostly Snowhill in Central Florida and once at Alafia state park. The trails I ride have lots of roots and sand so the the bike takes a beating. I've had no problems to date. For the price I paid I'm happy with it.

#8 ·
Its hard to get a good review of them. Everything ive read just praises it for its price point.

I just like single pivot bikes, so im interested. Im on a giant reign right now, and Ive had a trance, and kona dawg, and Ive ridden a bunch of other bikes.

How does it pedal? Is it fun to ride compared to similar 120mm bikes? How is the leverage curve? Does it bottom easily, or does it ramp up appropriately?

The geometry of the bike otherwise looks great. Its modern and up to date, Im just curious how the bike really performs. Not just how it performs for the price, but how it performs, period.

#9 ·
I did see a UK based video comparing it to the best but and they picked the beastnut do to the better rear shock. I think Marin is on to something with this bike but the lack of user reviews and the fact that no shop seems to stock it has me scratching my head. I have been to my local Marin dealer and another one 3 hours away and neither shop seemed to be interested in selling me one. This is kind of pushing me to db. I am pretty bummed to see the Hawkhill 2 only sporting an nx group. I was really expecting to see xls or gx at that price point.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Hey all, I would strongly advise against getting the base model and opt for the nicer two. The base model is strange in that it uses a rear end with dropouts made for a 12x148 thru axle with adapters that allow Marin to spec a regular quick release hub with the bike. However, the adapters supplied came loose on two of the bikes that I know of and would have put gouges in the dropouts if ridden for much longer. Marin has acknowledged it is an issue and has supplied replacement adapters and thru axle wheelsets to rectify the issue. With that said, keep an eye on yours if you bought one and check the rear wheel for play.

#13 ·
links please!!! this is the first i've heard of this issue.

seriously. i've just spent a half hour checking into this using several different search terms. there is nothing on marin's site, this site or anyplace else i've looked. nothing is coming up when i look for replacement adaptors, either.

replacement adaptors AND thru axle wheelsets? with this frame, it's either one or the other. if this information is indeed accurate which one is it?

where did you get this information?

#16 ·
honda guy, i see from some of your previous posts you work in a bike shop.

please give us a little more information about this spacer issue.
Yeah was just reading this review from a couple days ago(assume it's current as I don't recall seeing it while checking out the HH earlier in the year)and didn't see anything mentioned.
Review: Marin Hawk Hill 27.5 - Dirt Rag

#17 ·
Bump

A couple weeks have gone by since last posts in here. I started a thread over in the AMtn forum and wondering what if any of the more educated riders on here would think this bike would perform running a stiffer 130 fork and 2.4r/2.5f tires respectively?

#18 ·
A couple weeks have gone by since last posts in here. I started a thread over in the AMtn forum and wondering what if any of the more educated riders on here would think this bike would perform running a stiffer 130 fork and 2.4r/2.5f tires respectively?
i looked but couldn't find the thread. can you please be so kind as provide a link?

#27 ·
Got my 2 Friday . Rode Saturday and Sunday 11 mile loop both days. 1300 plus up. When I could ride, it's a climbing beast , some walking involved. Extremely out of shape.
Loved it!!!!!
Good - awesome brakes, dropper seats rule, no need for lockouts any way., tires( maybe) not sure yet, I want grip shift thumb levers suck,seat might be my favorite ever, grips are fine. I might weigh 15 # than I thought, so everything might get even more interesting next week? No one won't see you on the trail.

Bad- bars maybe slightly wide, did I mention I hate thumb levers? Maybe slightly longer stem, bought xt pedals- Had atac, think I might still be an atac fan. Nothing else.
Excellent buy for the $ . Can't wait for Downieville in June. " MADE FOR FUN " Is perfect. Orin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.