Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Opinions Wanted

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  gravelynp 
#1 ·
So, I'm looking for opinions on which bike you would choose if you had $5,000 for a bike to handle gravel, road and singletrack. I'm looking for a bike that could be toured or taken on some mountain bike trails. Two that are on my list to check out are Salsa Cutthroat and Cannondale Slate. What bikes would be on your list and why?

#5 ·
For the singletrack I wouldn't be looking at anything too technical with major jumps or drops. I'm looking more at bikepacking, tour divide-style rides for the majority of its use, but would like the option for some trails if I get the notion. The budget is a total at the high-end to be able to include a variety bikes. If you're suggestion doesn't bother to use it all, great.

The Slate just intrigues me with its Lefty and its kind of in-between geometry. The Cutthroat is just a badass bike on paper. I have yet to try one. Actually have yet to try either one.

#7 ·
lightweight hardtail in the $2-2500 range that could double as a monstercross setup with a rigid fork and dirt drops and a nice wheelset. This could be a do it all setup with a second wheelset.

If you'd rather have two bikes instead of two setups, a $1.5-2k cross/gravel bike with a steel frame. Soma DCD or Wolverine come to mind, maybe a Kona Rove. More nice wheels with any money left over.

#11 ·
I vote for rigid fork which is part of the beauty of a cx, gravel, rigid (mtb or fatbike). The simplicity and lack of maintenance is a highlight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#12 ·
A couple of years ago, I found a brand new carbon Dedacchi Supercross Disc frame on eBay for $400. I put on some Chinese carbon wheels, SRAM Force shifters/ derailleurs and carbon crank. Built up the complete bike for around $1500.
This bike is pretty much my " go to" bike. I've raced cross and gravel on it, do long off road rides and lots of singletrack. Love this bike. It does not have thru axles and that is probably the only thing that is not modern( I don't really feel the need for them). The geometry is spot on and it accepts tires up to 45's, although I've been running 42's lately

#15 ·
The Slate absolutely rips in single-track. I love mine... ride it on single-track, fire-roads, road, race cross on it. It doesn't add-up on paper, but it puts a grin on my face.

Couple of Slate drawbacks to understand going in(not deal killers)...
>Wheel size limits mixed terrain tires available, but there are some good ones. I love the G-Ones.
>Not available in carbon. The alloy frame feels nice and the Lefty helps... but it's not carbon. Pretty pricey for an alloy bike.
>Factory gearing on my 105 was too tall for extended climbing. It's fine for milder terrain, but if you want to open up more MTB territory...I went to smaller rings and larger cassette.
>Lastly, the Lefty Oliver that comes on the Slate is not super-plush. It takes the edges off the bumps, but it is not a MTB fork. Personally, I prefer it... a plush, bouncy fork would drive me nuts on a drop-bar bike. It has a limited travel.

#16 ·
I love my Slate 105. Upgrades include KS LEV Integra seat post, Surly Knards, 50-34 chainrings and 11-32 cassette, XT clipless pedals, seat bag with spare tube and CO2 cartridges, steerer tube mounted tool, and two Lezyne flow cages. All this for quite a bit less than your max budget and spare parts to change it back to original form (I doubt that will happen)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.