Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Texas State Parks bump... if you love Colorado Bend State Park...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dimitrin 
#1 ·
This is from a member on the Friends of Colorado Bend State Park board and was one of the 3 board members who went to the Texans for State Parks meetings this weekend. She took many notes on the status and issues of our Texas parks and asked to forward this to all of you. As you can see, there are some issues that need to be addressed.
Thanks!

Fellow Friends of Colorado Bend State Park, please speak up and contact Governor Abbot https://gov.texas.gov/contact/ Click on the link, click on "I need assistance" then choose "other" and copy and paste the text below or something in your own wording in the provided field, add your name, done. It took me less than a minute.

The below points were highlights from notes from Texans for State Park meeting.

Together, we have a voice, the more of us speak up, the better. It is easy.

Honorable Governor Gregg Abbot

I am a concerned citizen and friend of Texas State Parks and request your assistance:

Concern #1: Current Hiring freeze:

State Parks have seen increased visitations and require more staff. I am glad Texas State Parks received special dispensation and were allowed 300 extra positions, however; I do not agree with the 3 million dollar cost offset in return. This means State Parks must cut $10,000.00 in other park related expenses per each added employee position. Parks are already extremely tight for funding. Please put in a word to help remove the cost off set.

Concern #2: Relating to House Bill 158:

Texas legislature is considering changing appropriations of the Fishing and Sporting Goods sales tax to State Parks from currently 94% to 70%. Revenue from sporting goods sales tax has increased by 20%. The increased revenue correlates directly with the exponential increase in park visitations.

I am a concerned citizen request consideration to keep the sporting goods sales Tax appropriation at 97 % to help with upkeep of our State parks.

Concern #3: Cutting of funding:

Instead of cutting funding to Texas State Parks, more funding is needed to help with following issues:

1. Flood damage- 51 million dollars are needed for repairs. Almost 50 parks were affected, some are still closed.

2. $700 million is needed in deferred maintenance to help repair and improve old, broken, outdated, outgrown, unsafe Park infrastructure.

3. Heightened SP visitation has not been accounted for. More visitors cause more wear on current infrastructure (e.g bathrooms, camp sites, trails etc.)

4. State Parks need increased funding for Texas State Game Wardens

Please help us keep Texas State parks in good condition. Texas State Parks are a true gem and invaluable asset for our great state of Texas.

Thank you for reading my concerns. I am looking forward for your support.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm fairly certain every one of this state's representatives and elected officials have my email and phone number and anything from my name blocked at this point, but will do as well.

Also, phone calls in conjunction with letters or emails or contact forms, work immeasurably better than just electronic communications alone. It's so easy to ignore or not read a letter, but when you waste theirs and their administration's time on the phone, they notice...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.