Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Are hardtails good for heavier dudes?

957 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  londonlad 
#1 ·
I'm 240lbs and ride a P3. I feel I'm about to break it when I jump over small stuff (3' to flat).

Would you still get the hardtail if you were in this weight range? Or does it completely rule out, for you, the possibilty of getting one. Just curious...

#3 ·
The evil wont break under you any time soon, but its expensive as hell and its seat angle and head tube angle are ABSOLUTELY REDICULIOUS! thats my opinion. If you buy a full suspension i think you'll end up spending alot of money getting parts with will hold up under your weight (no offense in anyway) but the parts are out there. for example the 03 monster t, avalanche rear shcok which would be valved for your weight and riding style, its expensive but worth it. Youd probably have to have a pretty burly frame, such as a banshee scream. I guess what im trying to say is there are defenitly hardtails that will hold up for your weight and riding, there are also alot of full suspension options but you'll end up throwing down BIG BUCKS if you go in that direct. good luck.

#4 ·
Banshee Rider said:
The evil wont break under you any time soon, but its expensive as hell and its seat angle and head tube angle are ABSOLUTELY REDICULIOUS! thats my opinion. If you buy a full suspension i think you'll end up spending alot of money getting parts with will hold up under your weight (no offense in anyway) but the parts are out there. for example the 03 monster t, avalanche rear shcok which would be valved for your weight and riding style, its expensive but worth it. Youd probably have to have a pretty burly frame, such as a banshee scream. I guess what im trying to say is there are defenitly hardtails that will hold up for your weight and riding, there are also alot of full suspension options but you'll end up throwing down BIG BUCKS if you go in that direct. good luck.
I'm not doing DH or mad hucking, just the occasional stairgap or dock... I still want to commute on it, so the Monster is more than I need... I think.

Landing with my hardtail is just violent, and I'm not that much of a bad lander.
I thought it's because of my weight.

#5 ·
roee said:
I'm not doing DH or mad hucking, just the occasional stairgap or dock... I still want to commute on it, so the Monster is more than I need... I think.

Landing with my hardtail is just violent, and I'm not that much of a bad lander.
I thought it's because of my weight.
I am 6', 230, and ride both. I have an iron horse sgs, and a trek bruiser 2. My bruiser has nearly nothing stock on it anymore though. I have broken 2 handlebars, 3 forks, 2 sets of cranks, and one frame. The wheelset, brakes, seatpost, and rotors are the only things left from the original build. I ride mainly street, park and djs on it. Once you get past the drops to flat phase of urban riding the bike will hold up much better. I have gone pretty big on the bruiser, and even made some downhill runs on it. My current setup, Built for maximum strength, at the lowest cost. Redline bmx cranks, wellgo b-28s, gack usa 3" chromo bars, evil/e13 crown chainwheel/bashring, dj3, cheapo steel bmx stem, pig dh headset, ruffians, 6" avids, azonic big drop seat, and k-rads. I painted my warranty return frame black. Not too bad. It is holding up relatively well. I highly recommend the k-rads. They rule the world for urban park and street.

#6 ·
homepiece said:
I am 6', 230, and ride both. I have an iron horse sgs, and a trek bruiser 2. My bruiser has nearly nothing stock on it anymore though. I have broken 2 handlebars, 3 forks, 2 sets of cranks, and one frame. The wheelset, brakes, seatpost, and rotors are the only things left from the original build. I ride mainly street, park and djs on it. Once you get past the drops to flat phase of urban riding the bike will hold up much better. I have gone pretty big on the bruiser, and even made some downhill runs on it. My current setup, Built for maximum strength, at the lowest cost. Redline bmx cranks, wellgo b-28s, gack usa 3" chromo bars, evil/e13 crown chainwheel/bashring, dj3, cheapo steel bmx stem, pig dh headset, ruffians, 6" avids, azonic big drop seat, and k-rads. I painted my warranty return frame black. Not too bad. It is holding up relatively well. I highly recommend the k-rads. They rule the world for urban park and street.
What model Bruiser is that? The 2005s are rolling out and seem pretty nice:
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/mountain/bruiser2.jsp

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.