Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ebike legal?

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  ol-crank 
#1 ·
Are ebike allowed on durham forest trails?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Kay, do you mean they aren't covered by the no motorized vehicle rule or that the issue just hasn't come up yet?

The only ones that I have seen on the trails in Durham Forest were at a demo day.

I am sure that probably sooner rather than later we will start to see them show up in the forest. It would probably be a good idea for the various land managers to make a decision on whether they are permitted or not.

#7 ·
You may or may not be correct in this case (I don't know) but are you really comfortable making that statement about regulations relating to a question from the OP about a specific trail network that isn't even in your country?

#9 ·
#11 ·
No in Ontario electric assisted bikes or e-bikes are not considered motor vehicles.
some cities will have different by-laws
I think you will find that these are different things. The "not motor vehicle" is for the application of the Highway Traffic Act.
Motorized definition would be up to the local authority.

I remember reading in the Ottawa newspaper that for the Capital bike paths, Ebikes that looked like bicycles were acceptable on the paths, Ebikes that looked like scooters etc. were not.

Damn, here I am posting on a Picard thread. Who would have thought.

#16 ·
if motor vehicles are not allowed and if e-bikes are motor vehicles (criminal code) wouldn't that mean that e-bikes are not allowed. I shutter when I think that an e-bike can weigh up to 120 kg (plus rider) and can go 32 KPH. This could possibly do a lot of damage to the MTB freedom we enjoy on the trails. For 20 some years I have been an ambassador on the trails, always being careful around horses, hikers, dogs and so on as I never know who is on the board for the conservation area ready to disallow biking on the trails because of irresponsible riders tearing up the trails with no regard for other trail users. E-bikes might be one more step closer to losing our privilege.

#17 ·
E-bikes in Ontario must have:
steering handlebars
working pedals
an electric motor not exceeding 500 Watts
a maximum speed of 32 km/h
a maximum weight of 120 kg
a permanent label from the manufacturer in both English and French stating that your e-bike conforms to the federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle

as per Ride an e-bike

e-bikes in that range are not considered a motor vehicle. and a mtb can be going 32 kph on trails going downhill as well, not saying I agree with it but it is what it is and it will be up to the land managers and conservation authorities to regulate it.

#18 ·
Q7: What are the penalties for riding an e-bike while drunk?

Drinking and driving a motor vehicle is a Criminal Code offence and charges are laid under the Criminal Code of Canada. Under the Criminal Code, the definition of a "motor vehicle" includes an e-bike, and anyone operating an e-bike intoxicated could be charged for impaired driving. If convicted, the offender would be subject to the Criminal Code penalties, including a fine or jail time, and a driving prohibition.

Under the Highway Traffic Act, an e-bike is not classified as a motor vehicle, so penalties for impaired driving under the Act would not apply.

It is kind of splitting hairs and like many laws, there are numerous authorities that each make rules, like HTA, city by laws, etc. I really hope that we do not see any motorized vehicle, that is any vehicle, including bicycle, with a motor, on the hiking/mtb trails. It is not a big stretch from e-bike, to scooter, to small motorcycle and so on.

#22 ·
i personally don't want to see e-bikes on trails...certainly not the scoooter-looking 120 KG variety.

The power assisted bicycles like Specialized, Giant, Haibike and others make....sure.

#23 ·
maybe it's time to change my thinking,

i personally don't want to see e-bikes on trails...certainly not the scoooter-looking 120 KG variety.

The power assisted bicycles like Specialized, Giant, Haibike and others make....sure.
I can see e-bikes on a trail like the rail trail, but somehow on the dedicated MTB trails, it seems weird to me. And no, I haven't test rode the Specialized Turbo or any of the other electric MTBs. I dearly hope that this whole e-bike thing is not a game changer. BUT, it would help me up firepit.

#25 ·
The reality is this discussion is about E Bike use on dirt trails.

When I ride down in Ellicottville up behind Holiday Valley, the trails are built by MTBers for MTBing and I seldom see hikers or horses. The occasional "small game" hunter in the fall. Trail usage on these trails is probably pretty secure.
At home I ride up Chedoke Trail, across the 403 and into Dundas Valley. (No need to put the bike on the car bike rack.) For about 20 years I have considered myself lucky to have such easy access to decent trails. Once in a while I do consider these guys, Board Members | Hamilton Conservation Authority and would like to keep them on our side. I don't know when I am out on the trail who is sharing the trail, hiking, dog walking or riding a horse so I am careful with everyone. The people on MTBs are usually pretty considerate and maybe they also are thinking about our image. If E-bikes are allowed, it is a whole new breed of cat. Not necessarily our type. They might not have the same appreciation for the privilege we enjoy. I vote no to E-bikes on the trails. Anywhere else, I am fine with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.