Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just starting out, which bike?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RedKMan 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm just starting out and looking to get a budget priced hardtail. I will probably use it on some bike paths (tarmac, concrete) and some very basic dirt trails (gravel, like you find on paths around resevoirs).

I've done some research and decided on 27.5" tyres and narrowed my search down to the following (my max spending is £500 UK Pounds or $620.00 USD. I just needs some advice on which are better. I will be visiting stores and trying them out to see how they feel. Just after some opinions before I go:-

Cannondale Trail 6 2017.
Giant ATX 27.5 1
GIANT Talon 27.5 3
GT Avalanche Sport 2017
Kona Lanai 2017
SCOTT Aspect 750 2017
Specialized Pitch Sport 650B 2017
Trek Marlin 7.

Thanks,

#2 ·
They are all fairly comparable. Within a given price point, bike companies usually have a very common spec. The Trek Marlin is a 29" wheel except for the 15.5" frame. The others are all 27.5" wheels. The different wheel sizes will ride differently. Which you like better is up to you. 29" has better roll-over, covers more ground, and better maintains speed and momentum. It is also heavier, slower to get up to speed, can flex more and is less maneuverable. These are grossly general and relative comparisons, but not universal truths. You'll find a ton of opinions and endless debate as to the relative merits of the different wheel sizes. It comes down to how you feel. The Marlin also is spec'd with Rock Shox 30 fork whereas the others have Suntour XCT, I believe. Not a ton of difference but the Rock Shox has 30mm stanchions (diameter of the upper silver portion of the fork legs) compared to 28mm on the Suntour. The larger diameter will provide better tracking with less flex. That said, with the riding you've described I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference unless you're really big. The Specialized has the steepest head angle which makes for quicker handling but also can be twitchier and less stable at speed or in technical terrain. Probably won't make a noticeable difference for the riding you described, but you asked for differences. The ATX has a spec that's a step below the others; e.g., 7 speed cassette and mechanical disc brakes. The others are 8 speed or 9 speed (Trek) with hydraulic disc brakes. The 7 speed will have a narrower range with smaller big cogs. The cassette is the group of cogs on the rear wheel (the rear "gears"). The larger cogs make it easier to pedal for climbing. 8 and 9 speed cassettes have larger cogs compared to 7 speed. The additional cogs are the larger ones added to the cassette. Hydraulic brakes are stronger and typically have better feel than mechanical breaks. The downside is they need to be bled every so often. The mechanicals are cable actuated and the cables and housing need to be periodically changed out. Try out as many different bikes as you can. Ask a ton of questions. Buy the bike that feels the best from the shop that gives you the best service. Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.