Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

5 cyclists killed in Michigan

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  honkinunit 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Absolutely horrendous. This has been blowing up my social media feed. My wife is from SW Michigan, so her family has been talking about it. Plus all of the nearby cyclings groups are talking about it, plus several national cycling pages I follow. I'll be honest that it had me a bit jittery on my commutes today (less than 2.5mi each way, but still).

The shop where I work started having a run on safety gear last night with mirrors, lights, helmets, and stuff like that.

#4 ·
This is a terrible incident. Almost as terrible is the victim blaming going on in news comment sections across the country. It is scary how many people believe that cyclists are to be blamed in any incident like this. If the reports are true that people had been calling 911 for 30 minutes prior to the incident reporting the truck weaving on the road dangerously, I'm guessing the guy was blasted out of his mind. I'll put money down that he is a serial DUI offender, too. Think there will be any outrage over that? No, it will be "those damn cyclists".

There was an incident in Lyons, Colorado a few years ago where a wasted old guy in a truck killed a cyclist on a downtown street. It took three years to get a conviction, and he only got eight years. Had he creamed a pedestrian or a motorcyclist, he would have gotten the max, I'm sure.

If this guy doesn't get life, it will be an injustice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.