Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help me get my Spark under 21lb

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Crossmaxx 
#1 ·
This is my Scott Spark that I built up for racing. It's already pretty light and I'm working on losing a few more pounds myself, but I wanted to see if there were any relatively quick and easy ways to shed some weight and get to sub 21lbs. It's currently 21.3lb with pedals (egg beater 11 not pictured).

A few ideas so far; switch to ESI grips, Race Face Next SL crankset. Everything else is pretty light. Not sure what else to do.

I'm getting faster on the bike but being a smaller rider (5'6") there's only so much muscle I can put on. If I can improve my power to weight ratio just a bit maybe I can be more competitive against bigger stronger racers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Ya, I know. I'm still working on things. I could loose a few pounds and get stronger. This is my first real season of racing and taking training seriously and it's my first season racing this bike.

The post is great. I cut a bunch off and it weighs less than any carbon bar. The stem is good. It has the right length and negative rise without being too heavy.

#4 ·
Just realized you asked about the seat...sorry

The seat is great. Comfy if you use good chamois. The rails need carbon assembly compound and torqued to spec to stay put otherwise they can creak

#10 ·
Height has nothing to do with power . I am nearly 6ft and can lift far heavier than people taller than me . I weight train and I'm nearly 80kg of mostly muscle . I can deadlift over 200kg (240 to be exact) . So your height isn't an issue .

I am a true WW so i would say lose quite a few parts . If you're racing the bike then the best thing is to just lighten some and not all parts so things like the saddle (go for MCFK) , seatpost (go for Schmolke TLO), handlebar (go for MCFK) and grips (go for Extralite) .

#11 ·
Seatpost: I can't tell if that's an Elite or Masterpiece. 31.6 Elite in 367mm length is 223 grams. A 350mm Masterpiece is 193grams. You could swap in an ENVE 400mm seatpost at 204 grams if you have an elite. 19 grams saved and it now matches your bars! I have a syntace hiflex and love it but it's not particularly light.

Grips: It looks like most ODI Grips are in the 100-120gram range. Assuming you have the lightest lockons, ESI chunky are 60grams. 40gram loss at least and (in my opinion) an increase in comfort. You could lose more with the DSP grips, but the tape is a pain.

Crank: I believe the spark uses a pressfit 24mm spindle bottom bracket. If you go Next SL you will have to use the pressfit BB with the tiny bearings. If you use the bike a lot and ride in less than perfect conditions I'd stick with a more traditional BB. It's not like the XX1 crank is a pig.

So total loss of 59g which doesn't put you at your goal. I think that you have a very solid build and parts that can withstand XC racing/daily trail use. You could chase more grams easily but (in my opinion) you would be spending lots of $$ for marginal gains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.