Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pmp

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Mrwhlr 
#1 ·
Got my first ride in today after a month. Started the morning a little rough as i broke the head off my presta core. Damn. Had about 15psi so I rode anyway.

Caught up to a horseback rider just east of rocky ridge. Rang my bell but no response. Rang again, still nothing. Got closer and heard her radio blaring. Rang again and got her attention. She stopped and asked if I could get around. Np. I got off the bike and walked into the brush and around her. A couple min later I hear yelling and screaming behind me. I turn around to see her and her steed barreling at 25 mph ? maybe out of control. I dart off the trail immediately and watch her fly by as she is failing to control her horse. Within seconds she is around a bend and out of sight. I continue on and eventually find her cowboy hat on the trail. Uh oh... I pick it up and proceed but it is difficult to use the front brake with that hand. I'm wondering if she's ok when I see her heading back towards me. The horse seems to be under control. She says she was coming back for the hat and thanks me. I start to reach out to her in front, and she warns me to hand it to her from the side or back as that spooks her horse. I hand it to her from the side and ask her what happened. She says something really sppooked her horse. It's Starting to get agitated again so I take off again.
Just before the end of my ride I came up on a hiker. I rang. Nothing. Rang again. Nothing. Eventually I see the ear buds, wait for a widening in the trail then carefully proceed around her.

Another morning on the pmp.

Hope the horseback rider made it safely to wherever she was going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I truly don't get why these horse people would knowingly take their "easy to spook" overgrown pets to PMP...
yeah, I had a very similar experience with some hikers at Browns this morning...headphones on and first I ring my bell a few times...then I say "hello"...then "HELLO!!!!!"....nuthin. Fine...first opportunity and I blast around them. Love it when they get upset...

#4 ·
I know it's wrong, but this season has got me super grumpy. When I come up behind another user, I assume they have earbuds in. Bells annoy me, so I use my voice. They get a friendly "Good morning" as soon as I think I'm in earshot. If they don't react (like 90% don't due to music) I'll give them one more chance with a "Morning, bike back" when I'm about 20-25' off.
Two greetings is enough, then I hammer on the cranks and pass them as if they weren't there. I *almost* hope someone gets startled and pissy so we can have a conversation about trail etiquette and ear buds.

I'll give right of way to anyone who's courteous, even if I'm the climber, and I don't give two shits about KOMs, but %^&damn, I hate people who can't share the trail.

To be fair, horses have seemed to be less of a hassle recently than in previous times. I'd have a hard time being polite to a horse rider that can't control their animal, though... good on you. I'd have run over her hat out of spite and not bothered to tell her where it was. I'm kidding.

#7 ·
I do ride with earbuds on occasion but the rule of thumb for me is to keep the volume low enough to hear my tires rolling. Yeah, I can't hear every single note of every song but it's better than being "that guy"....

#9 ·
The relationship between drivers and roadies mirrors the one between mtb'rs and hikers. You have impatient faster travelers getting all hot and bothered by slower travelers interrupting their belief of righteous entitlement to precious flow, all while criticizing the slower people that are out just trying to have some fun and exercise.

Funny, most hikers I have encountered happily breach the right of way rules and almost always step aside for mtb'rs so they can maintain their precious flow addiction. Also funny, I don't recall ever being late for something because a hiker using headphones interrupted my ride. I've been riding MUT's for only a short time. Only half my life, so perhaps I need to ride more before I encounter these nasty headphone abusers that need rehab.

#10 ·
was out riding the other day and came up on a couple hiking with the huge noise canceling headphones on. didnt hear my bell, yelled. no response. walking side by side covering the whole trail. and as always im the ass hole.

although I was at apache wash yesterday. absolutely packed. all hikers were polite and moved aside.

#12 ·
There are stories of out of control horse, just like there are stories about out of control mountain bikers. I actually like seeing the horses on the trails. If you want to be perfectly safe, stay at home or buy your own private riding area.

Headphone issues are just as common for riders too. It is a little annoying, but fairly temporary.

Darth, Cool of you to grab her hat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.