Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Has anybody test fit a 29er wheel in a 27.5 DH fork (or willing to?)

25K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Dougal 
#1 ·
Of course, you'd never do this. It's forbidden. It's dangerous. Your friends would make fun of you.

But, if anybody has a Fox 40 or Boxxer 27.5 and a 29er front wheel lying around, I'd be curious to see if the tire clears the arch. Of course, clearing the crown would be another issue, entirely.

If anybody else is interested in knowing (or not, but is kinda bored), I'd love to see what you find.

#10 ·
"Stiffness has always been the bane of the inverted fork design, but DVO has struck a good middle ground with the Emerald. There's no denying that it isn't as stiff as a FOX 40" Pinkbike on DVO
"I did notice the fork flexing"jungleracing.com on the DVO
"Another issue that some of us noticed if paying attention you might notice that the fork is a little more flexible than a conventional fork."downhillnews.com on Dorado Pro

These are great forks and everyone who runs USD forks is great.

I just want a conventional fork for my oddball project. Really didn't want a debate about fork types, thanks.

#11 · (Edited)
ok ...so you have read this and whatever.....most of us are not pros and need a fork that is that stiff...

lets put it this way.....you are going through a heavy heavy rock garden....do you want a fork that is super stiff ??? well that will bounce you around a lot more

A fork with a little flex actually absorbes side hits and frward backward motion....making you have a smoother ride and being able to control your bike better. It is actually better.

So people saying there is flex and saying it is all bad are just people who don't understand and spit out uninformed information....Pros yes, but everyday riders will never notice the flex....In reality everyday riders will actually be smoother on a upside down fork.
.....a great amount of fork flex is very bad, but those in dorados or especially the DVO Emerald....I will ride those and have a smoother experience through rock gardens then your bouncy "stifffer" fork

#14 ·
Inverted forks are stiffer front/back but softer in torsion.

Poeple also seem to forget that EVERYTHING flexes. The only difference is how much. If you have a fork that is twice as stiff then it might deflect 1mm where another fork would deflect 2mm.

It would take a fork 10x as stiff to only deflect 1mm when another deflects 10mm.

#19 ·
Curious, I compared the axle-to-crown of my DVO Diamond 29er 160 to my Lyric 27.5 170. They were almost exactly the same. I think the DVO is a little taller than the Pike.

I doubt this is helpful, but I was thinking I'd try my factory-rebuilt and custom tuned DVO on my new 27.5 bike. Only the short steerer tube on the DVO kept me from doing it.

#31 ·
Uh huh, but only raced enduro. Cole looked to be doing alright on that wagon wheeler while still recovering from injury. I didn't think to check the fork out. There were lots of DVO Dorados but no White Dorados or even Dorado Dorados. There was a decent showing of 29ers in the enduro race including the Evil bike and the new Santa Cruz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.