Phoenix city parks to charge $5 fee for parking- Mtbr.com
    JohnniO

Phoenix city parks to charge $5 fee for parking

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p....html#comments

This ought to cut down on the nasty little blue bags of poop. Awesome!

mtbr member
    At San Tan Regional it is $6 a day. I was shocked when I went to So Mo and didn't have to pay to get in.
    Eric

Black and Sticky
    I don't particularly mind paying a fee to use City facilities. I would gladly purchase a yearly permit like I do for County parks. The problem I have is this statement:

"Laura Bell, chairman of the parks board, said the fee is necessary because of the Parks and Recreation Department's need to find $500,000, which will go into the general fund with the hope that it could be used for park programs."

I would feel a lot better about this if I knew the fee was for sure going to be used for parks related things. I also believe a parking fee will cause problems like that mentioned in the article such as people parking in neighborhoods to avoid the fee. That's already a problem in some areas. This will obviously be very controversial.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just read the story. I guess I don't really have a problem with it, but I doubt the fees will go toward park/trail maintenance. I do feel sorry for those who live on residential streets around the parks.

mtbr member

On second thought . . .

My knee-jerk when I read this article was, "what the . . ., this is bull . . . ." Then I started thinking about how much I invest yearly in mountain biking and put it a little more in perspective. I went into Cactus Bikes last week and didn't flinch dropping $60 on a new Maxxis tire. Derailleur hangers, brake pads, spokes, etc., cost me a boat-load annually what's another $70-100? Don't get me wrong, money doesn't grow on trees but a pass is probably about 1/16 of what I spend on this addictive habit every year. And, hopefully the funds will end up improving the parks and cutting down on the traffic. Maybe I'll change my tune but that's how it looks from a 100,000 feet.

Tiny

sixsixtysix
    I say good, its about time they started charging because as everyone screams "I already pay taxes!" Our parks are in dire need of funding, end of story. I'll be grabbing my annual pass as soon as the website goes live.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I'll be grabbing my annual pass as soon as the website goes live.
    Me too

mtbr member
    Awesome!!! I park in parking areas maybe once or twice a year because I just ride to the trails, however I will purchase one of the passes as soon as it is available!!

EDR
    I'll gladly pay the annual fee if it means keeping the park open (which it won't, with keywords like "hope" and "could be used" in reference to parks programs.)

I have a real problem with this statement and it's misleading tone.....the parks are not free, they ARE payed for, by the tax payers.

"But maybe it's time for people not to take their parks for granted," he said. "Traditionally, things have been free"

Sure, out of towners don't directly pay, but really, what's the yearly percentage of park users who are not local? Sigh...I hate politics.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 07-03-2010 at 09:21 AM.

slow uphill
    I generally don't mind incurrence/use taxes, but something tells me that this income is needed because the tax proceeds from state income tax, sales tax, etc. are not allocated efficiently. in other words, funds weren't spent appropriately so now the tax payers need to pay more.

all else equal, I'm not adverse to paying a fee to use parks with the understanding that those fees are put towards funding those parks. but we already know that isn't going to happen.

Eleven - it's one louder
    After paying $6 a visit at MMP many, many times, I just last week heard that you can buy an annual pass for $75 that's good for all but a couple of the county parks (I forget which are excluded). I plan to purchase one. I'm assuming that the city parks parking pass mentioned in the article is separate from the county parks parking pass. Anyone know? Sheesh. We've got the State Trust Land Use permit & parking pass. I'm gonna need to add an extra glove compartment to the truck just to haul around all these passes!
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    I don't particularly mind paying a fee to use City facilities. I would gladly purchase a yearly permit like I do for County parks. The problem I have is this statement:

"Laura Bell, chairman of the parks board, said the fee is necessary because of the Parks and Recreation Department's need to find $500,000, which will go into the general fund with the hope that it could be used for park programs."

I would feel a lot better about this if I knew the fee was for sure going to be used for parks related things. I also believe a parking fee will cause problems like that mentioned in the article such as people parking in neighborhoods to avoid the fee. That's already a problem in some areas. This will obviously be very controversial.

Bob
    I agree completely, this was my first reaction after reading what you quoted in the article.

Sure id pay the fee if i knew those funds were 100% going to be funding the park system in question and upkeep etc.

But to me it seems like their exploiting OUR preserves for the benefit of the "general" fund. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the money at all makes it towards park services.

Similarly with the tax increase of 1cent, sure id pay 1cent towards education, but show me that is actually going to happen, as far as ive seen its not a lack of taxes, but a lack of competency in budgeting. we have had the same issues year after year.

mtbr member
    Maybe if they put more pump tracks in parks they would get more money... I would gladly pay 5 buck to ride a variety of pump tracks all over town. (yes! I have one TRACK mind right now).

"No Clue Crew"
    I really don't mind paying to park at MMP right now because it is a manned gaurd station and I know this cuts down on break ins when I'm out on the trail. If they do this at somo, I'd gladly pay, even though I almost always ride to the trailhead.

I'm tired of the BS from Park officials about "free" parks. I pay for these "free" parks every day I go to work but if you put someone in those unused booths at somo, I will pay th yearly and still ride to the trailhead.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadConrad
    I'm gonna need to add an extra glove compartment to the truck just to haul around all these passes!
    don't forget a Tonto pass ($6) to use the lakes...
    why don't they come up with a yearly pass?
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    I say good, its about time they started charging because as everyone screams "I already pay taxes!" Our parks are in dire need of funding, end of story. I'll be grabbing my annual pass as soon as the website goes live.
    The one scary quote from this however is "Laura Bell, chairman of the parks board, said the fee is necessary because of the Parks and Recreation Department's need to find $500,000, which will go into the general fund with the hope that it could be used for park programs."

No guarantee the money will go to the Parks and Rec. But as others have said, I really don't have a problem with this.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Wait, what!?
    I dont REALLY like the sound of this. They way things are worded and presented now can come across so different what they really are. Now, I dont know for sure if this is one of those cases or not, but it makes sense that it would be. We will see I suppose.

On the other hand.... Is any one interested in starting up a local business here? Maybe one that actually can and DOES give back to our City Parks?

'Dolesh suggests the city find a company willing to set up a kiosk that would allow people to use a credit card to purchase a pass.'

Downhill Spokesmodel

Good job! It's about time! -- at least for SoMo.

Maybe this will reduce some of the traffic on the hill.
    However, the enforcement of the collection seems to be a little lax. Rely on people to buy a pass online or risk getting a ticket for how much? If the rangers are able to enforce it.
    And letting visitors get in free?
    If they are really serious about bringing in revenue, they need to control road and parking lot access.
    I realize that not all of the parks have gated access like South Mountain.
    Just use the current gates and make sure everyone pays or has a pass.
    Instant guaranteed income.
    At least hire a gate attendant to collect fees on the weekend. Only takes 2 cars for $10.00 hr P/T wage.
    Maybe find a way to set up a pass kiosk outside the gates.
    Controlled access to the park should reduce casual traffic and, how should I say, undesirable elements.

I'll buy my pass, I just wish they would require me to show it to get in the park.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    don't forget a Tonto pass ($6) to use the lakes...
    why don't they come up with a yearly pass?
    Kaboose, I have one it's called "America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass". It will get you on to Saguaro Lake, Canyon Lake, Apache Lake and I used it at Lake Powell and probably much more.

See it here:
    http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

I got mine at the U Forest Service office in Mesa.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    Maybe this will reduce some of the traffic on the hill.
    I know its just a poll but it seems plenty of folks were irked enough to click on this one.

THE QUESTION
    Will a $5 fee for parking at Phoenix parks keep you from visiting them as often?
    Yes. 63.33%
    No. 26.48%
    Not sure. 10.19%
    Total Votes: 1707

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Didn't they used to charge some fee to get into South Mountain a long time ago? At least that's what I remember. But I also am afflicted with CRS, so maybe not.

Zipper
    I can say this:
    Parking at The Gulch is going to be over run with road bikers and hikers very soon unless they incorporate it into the park officially. So those of you (you know who you are) are allowed to park at my place for Shredsday shuttles if it comes to that.
    Zipper aka Rob

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtcha
    I can say this:
    Parking at The Gulch is going to be over run with road bikers and hikers very soon unless they incorporate it into the park officially. So those of you (you know who you are) are allowed to park at my place for Shredsday shuttles if it comes to that.
    I wonder how this will affect shuttles in general. I guess I will just park in the big lot and ride over to wherever we are gathering.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Seems a bit sketchy to me. I live in Goodyear and ride the Estrella Competitive track regularly, and have for years. It was free to park until the park decided it was going to expand its RV capacity for PIR. They installed a self pay station for $5 a pop and graded the entire hillside for the RV's on race weekends. I'm not sure how my already preserved, unmaintained, volunteer built, trail system, benefitted from that. Not for or against. Just puzzling to me how money or land that has already been set aside and fixed to our tax base annually, gets lost in the mix or mismanaged, and we have to pay the price.
    I'm currious to know how often we pay for the exact same things over and over and... Just another opportunity for folks to shut the yap and moooove over.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    I wonder how this will affect shuttles in general. I guess I will just park in the big lot and ride over to wherever we are gathering.
    This should not affect shuttles as the pass is technically for parking in the park. So even if the shuttle vehicle 'parks' in the park, a single parking pass is all that is necessary for the shuttle vehicle. I can't see where there would be a problem with shuttling, it reduces the number of vehicles on the park roads, reducing emissions.
    @rbtcha - technically Scorpion Gulch is part of the park and should require a parking pass as well.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    Many of us have had this conversation a few different times, during SoMo shuttles, I'm right there with you, hermano.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I'll gladly pay the annual fee if it means keeping the park open (which it won't, with keywords like "hope" and "could be used" in reference to parks programs.)

I have a real problem with this statement and it's misleading tone.....the parks are not free, they ARE payed for, by the tax payers.

"But maybe it's time for people not to take their parks for granted," he said. "Traditionally, things have been free"

Sure, out of towners don't directly pay, but really, what's the yearly percentage of park users who are not local? Sigh...I hate politics.
    Great observation/point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    I know its just a poll but it seems plenty of folks were irked enough to click on this one.

THE QUESTION
    Will a $5 fee for parking at Phoenix parks keep you from visiting them as often?
    Yes. 63.33%
    No. 26.48%
    Not sure. 10.19%
    Total Votes: 1707
    Best news I've heard all day! but it's only 7:30am. Can you imagine 63% less people on a weekend Natty or Holbert run, or in ABCHawk's case, Tr 100. Awesome! And the fees would still generate revenue, for the state, regardless of what it gets spent on.

NardoSS

f that idea

I live in the condos right outside of the somo pima entrance and I get fk heads at 430am with bass pumping and radio blaring because they already can't park early enough. Now, if they start charging $5 a head then my street will be full of ******bags taking all of the residential parking because they're cheap.

It's not always about the greater good. Perhaps we could take some of the Obama money being used to pave already nice streets and curbs in Tukee/Phoenix and dump it into the park.

parenting for gnarness
    generally, i favor usage fees as they are about the fairest form of taxation. however, this plan seems somewhat half-@$$ed to me in that enforcement may be uneven, funds will not necessarily goto the park, and its bogus to not have any purchase options at the park. Additionally, a fee should come with some increase in service like parking lot security.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    generally, i favor usage fees as they are about the fairest form of taxation. however, this plan seems somewhat half-@$$ed to me in that enforcement may be uneven, funds will not necessarily goto the park, and its bogus to not have any purchase options at the park. Additionally, a fee should come with some increase in service like parking lot security.
    FTW!

NardoSS
    ...funds will not necessarily goto the park.
    The fees are for the city of Phoenix, not for the city parks of Phoenix.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by NardoSS
    if true, then its just another redistributive tax on low-hanging fruit. I would not pay it.

if it truly does go to the parks, I'd feel very very differently.

JohnniO
    Who cares. It keeps the hiker population down, I'll just park at your home for wayward boys.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    Who cares. It keeps the hiker population down, I'll just park at your home for wayward boys.

whew!
    i thought you were going soft for a while there Johnni.

JohnniO
    whew!
    Nah, the anger and demons just come in waves these days.

NardoSS
    whew!
    He's no longer a priest, but still thinks that everyone else has home for "wayward boys".

JohnniO
    He's no longer a priest, but still thinks that everyone else has home for "wayward boys".
    Let it go Nardo. It's in the past. You can overcome the "Priest Incident".

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I all ready pay for the year pass, They should make that count for all the parks. other wise you spend $150. in season passes. The other thing is, I just seen the city putting more fish in to cortez park. whos paying for that. Some parks cost money to maintain and but the ones we ride and hike are almost maintaince free. Why charging for the parks where there is no maintance, Theres no grass to cut , lakes to clean. Just unlock the gates and let us ride and hike.

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm Apparently...

They changed their collective minds and lowered the price: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...-%242-parking-
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMonk
    They changed their collective minds and lowered the price: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...-%242-parking-

Yep, it looks like 2 bones a day or 50 clams/ 6 months. I'm not a big fan of the semi annual pass, and will prolly dip into my nude-e bar kwan.

Here are the deets:

Phoenix Parks and Recreation officials, who originally considered charging up to $5 a day to visit the city's mountain parks and preserves, have settled on $2 a day. A $50 six-month pass is also available.

The department has decided to require the new Phoenix Mountain Pass at only five trailhead areas: the Pima Canyon area of South Mountain; the Echo Canyon area of Camelback Mountain; Phoenix Mountains Park and Recreation Area (Piestewa Peak); Dreamy Draw Recreation Area; and North Mountain Park.

City officials said this will leave multiple free trail access points at all the major preserve areas in the city preserve and mountain park system.

The fee will not be enforced during a six-month introductory period that won't begin, now, until Aug. 30.

Envelopes will be available at the five trailheads to let visitors mail in payment. Passes will be available online beginning Aug. 23.

Details of the program are now finalized and more information is available at phoenix.gov/PRL/passupdate.html. You can also access it from the Phoenix Mountain Pass button on the department homepage at phoenix.gov/parks.

The new fee is to help the city cope with recent budget constraints. The money generated will go into the city's general fund but parks and recreation board members hope to have the money funneled back into the parks department to ensure no continued loss of programming or staffing.

Members who have read this thread: 0