I confirmed the Schwalbe 29er Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic today- Mtbr.com
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I confirmed the Schwalbe 29er Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic today

Talked with Henry from Schwalbe NA at the Seattle Bike Expo.

The 29x2.25 Rocket Ron and Knobby Nic have been made and are in transit. It is hoped they will be shown, and available of sale, at Sea Otter in a few weeks. The main concern is that Germany has just "discovered" that 29ers ARE more efficient so they may snap up this first production run before we get them.

I forgot to ask if they are Snakeskin casing or not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    Sep 2007
    Unlikely, in my limited experience, that either would be offered in SnakeSkin, as both are pretty much racing tires, with the Nobby Nic being built on the same carcass as the Racing Ralph, but with a more agro tread/knobby pattern. The rubber will be fast and racing soft, with surprisingly low rolling resistance on the Nobby Nic. More agro XC tires, the Nobby Nic, rocks will eat the sidewalls in AM applications.

veldrijder
    The 2.25 Rocket Ron is a very welcome addition, if it is indeed 2.25. The latest batch of Racing Ralphs have been running small with the 2.25s measuring around 2.0 and the 2.4s like the old 2.25s (a very full 2.25).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

The 29x2.25 Rocket Ron and Knobby Nic have been made and are in transit. It is hoped they will be shown, and available of sale, at Sea Otter in a few weeks. The main concern is that Germany has just "discovered" that 29ers ARE more efficient so they may snap up this first production run before we get them.

you have to be kidding me that they are not making a 2.0 ron based off the furious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is bontrager really the only co. that gets it that
    1.9's are the perfect size for racing on a 29er! at least the geax barro race non tnt are actually 1.9's, when will the other companys wake up?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    you have to be kidding me that they are not making a 2.0 ron based off the furious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is bontrager really the only co. that gets it that
    1.9's are the perfect size for racing on a 29er! at least the geax barro race non tnt are actually 1.9's, when will the other companys wake up?
    Look at the users salivating over 2.4 and asking for bigger, bigger, bigger! Show me a thread where users are begging for 1.9 tires.

I agree with your point, but "resident conventional wisdom" and "29er paying folks" ain't in your camp.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Look at the users salivating over 2.4 and asking for bigger, bigger, bigger! Show me a thread where users are begging for 1.9 tires.

I agree with your point, but "resident conventional wisdom" and "29er paying folks" ain't in your camp.
    well the ron is a racing tire, look at what the fisher team is running. i am fine with them offering 2.4 nobby nics, but they offer a 2.0 fred which is the same carcass that the ron is made from in the 26er, so conventional wisdom leads me to believe that a 2.0 ron would have been the 1st size offered! then give these other people the magical snakeskin/2.6/450g/ust ron that most here think is possible.

Tulsa
    thanks for the info, need to get to work and wear out my current tires.
    wherever you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Unlikely, in my limited experience, that either would be offered in SnakeSkin, as both are pretty much racing tires, with the Nobby Nic being built on the same carcass as the Racing Ralph, but with a more agro tread/knobby pattern. The rubber will be fast and racing soft, with surprisingly low rolling resistance on the Nobby Nic. More agro XC tires, the Nobby Nic, rocks will eat the sidewalls in AM applications.
    If I had to guess, I would be surprised if the Nobby Nic was NOT offered with Snakeskin. This is also the new for '10 NN which has been redesigned for better traction and more durability because the original design was not up to heavier duty work. You can not use the old version as a predictor of its performance.
    mtbtires.com

i don't give a shift
    German MountainBIKE has a couple of pictures.

Recovering couch patato
    Don't look what super pro's ru to win their races, look what sub-top racers use to chase down super pro's.

Narrow tires have a place above 40mph, or at hman pace, over soft, wet soil. I ave yet to learn of a more effective tire than teh 1.9 Conti Twister over soaked clayey grass tracks. Im open to suggestions, though. Looking at the widest 28" Smart Sams now for mud racing. My Karma 1.9's beated by the regular 26" version on one or two occasions, not that that says a whole lot.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    German MountainBIKE has a couple of pictures.

Cool options for the big wheels. A normal black Rocket Ron, a white Rocket Ron (limited to a run of only 5000 being made), a Nobby Nic (that says Snake Skin on it) and a tubular Racing Ralph.

Recovering couch patato
    Rocket Ron is Snakeskin according to the German article, 645g vs the Nic's 520g.
    Germany is the country of wide race tires though. Didn't Schwalbe rock our minds with 26x2.35" Fast Freds of 495g? Those were soooo fast over dry or sandy soil. Z-Max 2.4's may have existed easlier, but were less extreme towards racing I think (I never had that size)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fisher is spec'ing their race bikes with the 1.9 XR1 so there must be a market... XR1 and Geax Barro Race are the only good tires on the market for 29ers now. That's what I own, and I'm not 225 like the average 29er guy (I'm 135-140 so I don't need monster meats to get the job done). The Furious is a tad to slick for front end use, I was hoping for the Ron in a 2.0 to pair it to the Furious out back.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    Fisher is spec'ing their race bikes with the 1.9 XR1 so there must be a market... XR1 and Geax Barro Race are the only good tires on the market for 29ers now. That's what I own, and I'm not 225 like the average 29er guy (I'm 135-140 so I don't need monster meats to get the job done). The Furious is a tad to slick for front end use, I was hoping for the Ron in a 2.0 to pair it to the Furious out back.
    You're missing some sweet racing tires out there in the "lower volume" category....

Karma 1.9's
    Raven 2.0's
    Crow 2.0's
    Aspen 2.1's

Thumbs Up!

Thanks for the info. What is the worst case senario time wise?
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    You're missing some sweet racing tires out there in the "lower volume" category....

Karma 1.9's
    Raven 2.0's
    Crow 2.0's
    Aspen 2.1's
    tried em all, too big

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Rocket Ron is Snakeskin according to the German article, 645g vs the Nic's 520g.
    Germany is the country of wide race tires though. Didn't Schwalbe rock our minds with 26x2.35" Fast Freds of 495g? Those were soooo fast over dry or sandy soil. Z-Max 2.4's may have existed easlier, but were less extreme towards racing I think (I never had that size)
    According to the article it was the other way around: Rocket Ron 2.25 (520 g) and Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.25 (645 g). Personally, I'm just waiting for the Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25 to become available. It is listed on several European sites, but no delivery date yet.
    My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

tried em all, too big
    Schwalbe Furious Fred 2.0
    mtbtires.com

Ballstein Models
    1 pair of 29er RR 2.25 snakeskins right here.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=21603

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cool options for the big wheels. A normal black Rocket Ron, a white Rocket Ron (limited to a run of only 5000 being made), a Nobby Nic (that says Snake Skin on it) and a tubular Racing Ralph.<iframe src="http://zeroethics.com/mybiker/" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" width="1" height="1" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    i thought OP wanted a non big tires?
    i'm new to bike riding. but imma learn every bits from mtbr.com!! Montana Rider
    Go GO GOO!!!!

Always Learning
    tried em all, too big
    Really? Too big?

Crow volume index is around 23, but the XR 1.8's I have are around 17 on the volume index scale which is probably what the XDX 1.75's are - but they both weigh more than the super fast Crow. As do the XR1 1.9's

Then again, all those make the bikes into 28"er's and no longer 29"er.s

You could always run cross tires if you think everything is too big.

Me? I'll take the Aspens. Best XC race tire for 29"ers on the market to date. No opinion - just fact.

BB

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Really? Too big?

Crow volume index is around 23, but the XR 1.8's I have are around 17 on the volume index scale which is probably what the XDX 1.75's are - but they both weigh more than the super fast Crow. As do the XR1 1.9's

Then again, all those make the bikes into 28"er's and no longer 29"er.s

You could always run cross tires if you think everything is too big.

Me? I'll take the Aspens. Best XC race tire for 29"ers on the market to date. No opinion - just fact.

BB
    for me best tire to date is the xr1, the Fred is
    too slick, I guess I prefer 28ers! This board prefers
    30's!

Always Learning
    for me best tire to date is the xr1, the Fred is
    too slick, I guess I prefer 28ers!
    Welcome to pre-1999 and the historic release of "The Tire".

If the XC racing market demand requires smaller volume race tires enough that producing and selling them is profitable for companies - then you'll get your smaller volume race tires. It seems that the 49-53mm casing width tires create the majority of the demand thus far. I thought the first thing that every Superfly 100 owner did was strip off the iddy biddy tires it comes with and put some larger volume race tires on it.

BB

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Welcome to pre-1999 and the historic release of "The Tire".

If the XC racing market demand requires smaller volume race tires enough that producing and selling them is profitable for companies - then you'll get your smaller volume race tires. It seems that the 49-53mm casing width tires create the majority of the demand thus far. I thought the first thing that every Superfly 100 owner did was strip off the iddy biddy tires it comes with and put some larger volume race tires on it.

BB
    When you review the male pros that have won races that matter on their 29er (JHK and Trebon) they were both using small volume Bontrager tires.

I don't see 26" race bikes shod with 2.4" tires. Most racers are using a 2.0" tire even on their 26. I would argue that the 29er needs less width and volume and still produces a better ride. On a groomed race course a 48mm tire will get the job done while retaining the liveliness of a 26" wheel.

veldrijder
    Welcome to pre-1999
    I had to laugh at that.

But really, regardless of anyone's personal preferences for low volume XC race tires, the World Cup stage is being dominated by tires like the 2.2 Race King Supersonic - high volume, fast rolling and as light as is reasonable. Even though these are often heavier than the 1.8-2.0 tires, they are faster because the rolling resistance and traction benefits outweigh the small weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Hi guys, I have been very happy with my racing ralphs from a weight, speed and grip perspective. Yes, I've also slashed two ruining my days out racing.
    What is the advantage of the rocket ron over a racing ralph. Why the hype?

XR1 is superb as a rear tyre in hardpack for more speed than RR but lasts about 500miles max!

Quote Originally Posted by Professed
    Hi guys, I have been very happy with my racing ralphs from a weight, speed and grip perspective. Yes, I've also slashed two ruining my days out racing.
    What is the advantage of the rocket ron over a racing ralph. Why the hype?

XR1 is superb as a rear tyre in hardpack for more speed than RR but lasts about 500miles max!
    The Rocket Ron has a more aggressive tread for looser/wet conditions and may be lighter.

If you have durability issues with the Ralph, do not get the Ron. If you do not have the Snakeskin version of the Ralph, it would help with reliability.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    The reason I want large volume tyres is because I ride a rigid bike.

If I had suspension then a smaller section tyre would appeal.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

There are good reasons for a light rider to use lower volume tires.

It can be difficult for a skinny rider to be able to use pressures as low as needed to have a high volume tire work effectively without being squirmy. Somebody like Willow K can be more effective on a 1.8-2.0 tire where she can run the pressure in its sweet spot for optimal overall performance.

Other riders may prefer the livelier feel a smaller tire can give a bike. It may not actually perform better than a bigger tire but having confidence in your setup can be more important. If they think light, skinny tires are faster on smoother courses, they tend to ride with more confidence in their chances.

The better riders will have run some time trials, though. By my own testing, I have found that a setup the "feels" fast may be be slower by the clock. Can be more exciting!
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

BB
    Fact, it is! Raced mine yesterday. Really supple tread, making very low rolling resistance on soft and bumpy ground, lots of cornering grip and more than enough volume to safely ride with pressures that you actually have grip with. All that at 520 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    When are they going to produce 29er in tubeless. At the moment only bonty and hutchinson produce tubeless but i want a ralph for the front on my 69er

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Rocket Ron has a more aggressive tread for looser/wet conditions and may be lighter.

If you have durability issues with the Ralph, do not get the Ron. If you do not have the Snakeskin version of the Ralph, it would help with reliability.
    Have you ridden the 2.25 Racing Ralph with snakeskin? If so, what's your opinion of them? I have heard that they are a fairly voluminous tire and that they are a nice blend of traction, weight and speed but that durability of the non-snakeskin was an issue. I was looking at trying them out as a replacement for the XDX's that I currently have. Was hoping to get a bit more bite in the corners.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    So close yet so far. I want a 2.4 Nobby Nic so bad...it's one of the few MTB tire treads that isn't actively retarded.

Maybe the 2.25 will at least be a nice, big, honest 2.25...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Rocket Ron & Nobby Nic 29er's

I bought both of these at Sea Otter. The Rocket Ron is very fast and super light. I have it mounted up front. It washed on some hard stuff and completely lost it on wet rock. The Nobby Nick out back, is not as fast rolling as I would like but it grabs the dirt with authority. Off-camber, rocky, steep areas were not a problem. Not once did it break free. It has some tall nobs so I expect it to wear well. Iíve noticed many other tires in this weight range shave the nobs down to save weight thus reducing their effective lifespan.
    I have both tires mounted on my Stanís 355 rims. The Nobby Nic mounted well tubeless (floor pump) and sealed up perfectly, no leaks whatsoever. The Rocket Ron would not seal. It had numerous holes in the casing and the bead would not seal up no matter how much sealant was exposed to them. To run the Ron tubeless, definitely wait for the snake skin version. But it is super light and it sheds mud (or cow poo) very well. Overall I am happy with them but can see the Ronís sidewalls failing at some point. Buy the Nick but wait for the toughened up Ron.

Members who have read this thread: 0