commuter rack for 1x1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

commuter rack for 1x1

Looking for suggestions for a rack/pack to convert my 1x1 to a work commuter.
    Setup: rigid with disk brakes

Need to carry:
    Complete change of clothes (will work out at company gym and shower at work before I start) ie: slacks, collared shirt, shoes etc
    Small leather binder
    Lunch

Thanks
    Last edited by muddywings; 11-30-2009 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have the same setup. Got an explorer rach that was disc compatible. Works fine, just had to get a different tuggnut because the bulky surly one blocks the mounting holes. Since there are no rack connector holes on the rear triangle you have to get a little creative in connecting the front of the rack to the frame. I acquired a few rubber coated clamp ring thingys to connect it to the tubes. You can also connect to the seatpost.

mtbr member
    bump...

I found that sunlite makes a seatpost clamp that has rack braze-ons for it but the smallest is 31.8 and the 1x1 needs a 30mm. Anybody know of someone who makes one of those small enough for a 1x1. If not, Surly should make that!!! edit:I sent Surly an email with the recommendation...guess that is all I can do for now unless someone knows anybody who makes one that small....thanks
    Last edited by muddywings; 12-03-2009 at 11:40 PM.

mtbr member

axiom trekk

Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    bump...

I found that sunlite makes a seatpost clamp that has rack braze-ons for it but the smallest is 31.8 and the 1x1 needs a 30mm. Anybody know of someone who makes one of those small enough for a 1x1. If not, Surly should make that!!! edit:I sent Surly an email with the recommendation...guess that is all I can do for now unless someone knows anybody who makes one that small....thanks
    Trevor from Surly wrote me back in record time. Surly won't be making a clamp with brazeons anytime soon....but he did say that there are two manufacturers making them. One is the Axiom Trekk.

Great customer service!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I previously used four P-clips (little aforementioned clamps) to fit a Madison Trail rack. It seemed very secure.

mtbr member

Finished

To conclude my Surly 1x1 commuter convert I bought a Topeak Explorer disk mount rack and a Topeak MTX DXP Trunkbag.
    Some issues as stated in other treads with the tugnut so Iíll start there. I had to hacksaw the ďshark fins/bottle openersĒ off the top of the tugnut. Even with doing that I was going to run into an issue so I went to the LBS got a longer bolt for 45 cents and placed some spacers to push the mount out past the tugnut. Iím pretty sure I would still need to cut those fins off even with the spacers but I had my limit on how much I wanted to cut out of there. It was quiet the effort with a hand clamp, work table and a sawzall/metal blade but it came off. Itís unfortunate and pained me a bit to do it as I liked their design.
    The second issue, which has also has been discussed in other threads is no rear triangle braze-ons on the 1x1. I sent Surly customer service an email suggesting/hoping that they should make one and I had a response the next day (outstanding customer service/quick response). They recommended the Trekk Axiom 29.8mm collar which worked great. Ordered through Amazon.com and shipped from Niagara Cycles (or something like that in New York).
    Youíll notice the rack connector bars fit nicely without any need to be bent. The bike is a small so anything larger youíll need to arch them as per the Topeak instructions.
    I have a full work attire in one pannier (slacks, dress shirt/undershirt, dress shoes, belt etc) and workout clothes to include running shoes/small towel in the other. As of now the top part is empty so my lunch/a few bike supplies will probably go in there. I rode it around the block as a test ride and it rode great with no issues. I havenít started my new job yet so after a week or so of getting the lay of the land Iíll start riding and update my report. To continue my ramblings: as of now the shoulder strap is only connected to the rear clip and folded up into the water bottle pouch with the plan being that Iíll carry a bottle on the bike and then once at work connect the shoulder strap and relocate the bottle to the pouch on the bag.
    Iíll admit, I thought the bag would be bigger. Iíve seen them in person at an LBS but didnít go looking right before I bought. For all the clothes I plan on riding with, it will be a tight fit but doable. If I had some size 13 feet I could be in trouble with getting everything to include shoes in there.
    See pics (if I attach them correctly!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails commuter rack for 1x1-bike1s.jpg  

commuter rack for 1x1-bike2as.jpg  

commuter rack for 1x1-tugnut1s.jpg  

commuter rack for 1x1-tugnut2s.jpg  

commuter rack for 1x1-trekk-axiom1s.jpg  

commuter rack for 1x1-pack2s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Nice work! Looks solid.

What's that smell?
    Chiming in late. My 22" frame required a bit of a bend...

Love it though. Carries everything I need:

mtbr member
    Just curious, how easy does that bag come off of the rack?

bored ex-shop rat

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti
    .....how easy does that bag come off of the rack?
    The Topeak racks have a rail for the Topeak trunk bags, it works very good, fast and easy
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

mtbr member
    Muddywings or Phxartboy, was there any legal mumbo-jumbo or anything about a weight limit to the Axiom seatpost clamps?

Backcountryeti, there is a button to push, then pull the bag off the rail/track system. Simple, yet very secure. On my C'dale I can switch between a trunk and the Topeak kid seat, empy of course, in just about 30 seconds.

mtbr member

nope

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMike
    Muddywings or Phxartboy, was there any legal mumbo-jumbo or anything about a weight limit to the Axiom seatpost clamps?

Backcountryeti, there is a button to push, then pull the bag off the rail/track system. Simple, yet very secure. On my C'dale I can switch between a trunk and the Topeak kid seat, empy of course, in just about 30 seconds.

No weight limit legalize that i saw. I would say that 99% of the weight from the rack is transferred to the rear triangle vs the seatpost...that just stabilizes the rack vs bearing any real weight. I've had a lot of groceries loaded up in that bag/rack with no issues

What's that smell?
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    No weight limit legalize that i saw. I would say that 99% of the weight from the rack is transferred to the rear triangle vs the seatpost...that just stabilizes the rack vs bearing any real weight. I've had a lot of groceries loaded up in that bag/rack with no issues
    What he said.

mtbr member

OMM [Old Man Mountain] Racks work great on bikes that are easy to setup with a rack. I use 8 of them I like 'em so much!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Tires
    I realize P-Clips, or tubing clamps work, but I just don't like 'em. I need racks on my 1x1 (disc only) so painfully bad. I've been searching high and low, but nothing really flogs my log, so to speak.

I've ground the canti-braze-ons off, so up front there is the hole in the crown, and the two threaded eyelets at the bottom, under the curved fork blades. All three of these areas perfectly cater to a front fender - but not a rack currently available on the internet, unless I use "spacers/washers" to space (bend) out the lower rack supports, to clear the fork blade tubes - which adds leverage to the stress exponentially on the threaded eyelets - not good. The longer you spacer it out, the more terrible the load will bear on those little pieces of hardware. Just like the P-Clips, I don't want spacers down there.

The only think I can think of, are "J" shaped lower struts, where they meet the threaded eyelets at the bottom of the fork blades. "J" shaped to curve under the fork, so it doesn't have to be spaced outwards. I guess it totally has to be some custom job, but really, only these attachment arms, or lower struts, or rack stays, or whatever you call them.

So... does anybody make a front rack that has "J" shaped arms? Better yet would be a frame mounted front Porteur Rack that is somehow quick release.

I also have this same problem in the rear. I don't really need a "Big Dummy" if I'm able to add dual racks - in my circumstance, I don't need to haul ladders and building supplies or children on my bicycle - plus I have a Bob Trailer for bigger stuff, but I dream of one day having the practicality of dual racks on my mountain bike.

Yes, I realize the Surly Troll would allow all of my dreams to come true, except that I hate straight blade forks (where the rake is designed into the angle of the fork blades, as opposed to in the drop-outs, like BMX forks) - also, I already have a bike, I just need to customize it. I also don't like sloping top tubes, and extra burly gussets.

I also don't want to source a curved blade fork that already has all the eyelets and braze-ons for all the racks on the internet, because then it wouldn't be a Surly 1x1=11 fork - even though I could match the paint pretty well, and no one would know, I would hate it - because I'm totally obsessive and anal like that. It sucks, but I can't help myself.

I know I dig my own grave, and no one can help me out, but somehow, some way... if there's a will there's a way... that's what they say. Okay.

I love my bicycle. I don't want to buy another bicycle specifically designed to carry loads, or with proper braze-ons. I just want some magical elves to come in the night and cobble up some custom racks that work with dual Surly Tuggnut tensioners, and disc brakes, and quick release OR solid axles, and even internally geared hubs... That can still attach a Bob trailer. I'm going to have to buy a stupid Troll, aren't I? I hate this.

I'll have to buy a Troll, then saw it's rear dropouts off, and swap 'em for my 1x1's drops, because of geometry and sloping top tubes and all that. Then I'll have to braze a bunch of stuff to my fork. After all this, I'll feel really stupid.

Why do I have to be so difficult? What is wrong with me? I know what I want, and it doesn't exist. I almost have what I want, but it's just not quite there (yet). I wish I had the capital to invest in a jig with a TIG and go nuts with (expensive) tubing and eyelets everywhere and create my own frames. Wait. I would just integrate all the racking into the design of the frame. What am I talking about? I wouldn't need eyelets - unless I wanted the whole rig to be modular. Which would add to the... everything.
    Last edited by Gritter; 04-02-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlť

mtbr member
    Damn Gritter, bit of a rant there. You sure Old man mountain racks wouldnt work? I have an instigator that I wanna add racks too, I think thats who I will have to go with. Went with Sun rynolite rims so I have V brakes in the rear so i could use a rack, just dont like rim brakes and rim brake rims period so will probably get a rear rack that will work with discs anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 1