My new video- Mtbr.com

Thread: My new video

mtbr member

My new video

Here's my new video. I filmed it yesterday and put it together this morning. Unfortunately I didn't have time to use a static camera for a third angle, but will be adding that next time.

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3399969&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3399969&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/3399969">Palmer Park mountain biking</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1237428">Tony Frasher</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

Cracker
    makes me dizzy when i watch it
    It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    nice. i liked it. at 1:16 that looked steep as hell. what camera did u use? a gopro?

mtbr member
    Ha ha, I'm glad that came off as steep as it actually was. I was just following another guy that knew trail and found out just how steep it was too late to bail.

I'm using the POV1. I made a mount using a U-bolt and a plumbing clamp.

Feb 2009
    IMO, B-roll, filler footage.

mtbr member
    You would know.....

Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    You would know.....
    Yes, you're correct.

That kind of B-roll, filler footage does not grab the audience, does not make them "feel like they were there," etc.

It's filler footage, at best.

Don't believe me/butt-hurt by honest feedback? Just watch a quality commercial/pro video and see how much of that "hey, I'm an ant sitting on a chain stay and this is what I see as you're tootling along the trail!" footage is included in a decent video.

mtbr member
    Awesome.

I love all the video's you've posted. Top quality.

Feb 2009
    Awesome.

I love all the video's[sic] you've posted. Top quality.
    Hold on a second there.

Someone has to have posted their videos before they can share their opinion of how uninteresting B-roll footage is?

Is that what you're implying or did I misinterpret your catty reply?

mtbr member
    i like more your Beaver Creek Pow Days vid
    Last edited by juros; 02-27-2009 at 11:40 PM.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    So how do you like the POV? I am really on the fence about this one.

I am not looking for HD quality but how would you say it compares to a standard camcorder in recording quality?

mtbr member
    I really like it so far. I'm pretty rough on stuff, and it's held up fine so far. I wouldn't feel safe using something like the GoPro on a trail like that where I had it mounted. As far as quality goes, it's better than my other option, which is just a point and shoot in video mode. I'm a total newbie to this, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. That being said, when I play them back in full resolution, it looks really good to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by braunschweiger
    Hold on a second there.

Someone has to have posted their videos before they can share their opinion of how uninteresting B-roll footage is?

Is that what you're implying or did I misinterpret your catty reply?

When you make comments the way you did, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Ya know, I've been here almost 6 months now. I've had people here write extensively helping me get my suspension set up, helping me remove and install a headset, and just last week I had a group of guys from here wait for my slow ass multiple times on 30 mile ride(my longest to date). Why? Because they enjoy this sport and want others to enjoy it as well.

I've had my camera all of 7 weeks, and just learned to edit videos within the last 3 weeks. I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm not a pro, I don't have the time or resources to even attempt it. I'm learning. I'm posting here to learn. People that make helpful critiques are teaching me.

So that brings us to your original post. You had 3 options.

1-Say nothing. You couldn't do that though, my clip was much to shitty to do that.
    2-Be helpful. You could have passed on your extensive knowledge to a fellow member and actually added something positive to this community.
    3-Make a quick, snide, useless comment. Ahhhh, now this is the choice of all internet trolls.

You really had no choice though. You had to make the comment you made. How else would you possibly refill that quickly deflating ego. You know when you make the kinds of comments you made here, and reading the other posts you've made in the last 3 days you've been a member here, that you can get people riled up, and maybe, just maybe they'll respond. This will allow you to make another snarky comment and keep on feeding air to that ego. It's either that or you have time to think about just how pathetic you are, sitting behind that keyboard, harboring an attitude towards every post you read. Of course that's probably better than thinking of what the real issue is. Why everyone in your real life has abandoned you. Well I'll let you know. It's because you're a dick.

So, that being said, I'm going to continue filming my outings, because I enjoy it. Some of the people here enjoy it. I know I enjoy seeing trails I don't know, no matter what the quality is. This is good news for you though, because I want you to come back and refill your ego as much as you want on every clip I post. We all know you need it.

Feb 2009
    When you make comments the way you did, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Ya know, I've been here almost 6 months now. I've had people here write extensively helping me get my suspension set up, helping me remove and install a headset, and just last week I had a group of guys from here wait for my slow ass multiple times on 30 mile ride(my longest to date). Why? Because they enjoy this sport and want others to enjoy it as well.

I've had my camera all of 7 weeks, and just learned to edit videos within the last 3 weeks. I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm not a pro, I don't have the time or resources to even attempt it. I'm learning. I'm posting here to learn. People that make helpful critiques are teaching me.

So that brings us to your original post. You had 3 options.

1-Say nothing. You couldn't do that though, my clip was much to shitty to do that.
    2-Be helpful. You could have passed on your extensive knowledge to a fellow member and actually added something positive to this community.
    3-Make a quick, snide, useless comment. Ahhhh, now this is the choice of all internet trolls.

You really had no choice though. You had to make the comment you made. How else would you possibly refill that quickly deflating ego. You know when you make the kinds of comments you made here, and reading the other posts you've made in the last 3 days you've been a member here, that you can get people riled up, and maybe, just maybe they'll respond. This will allow you to make another snarky comment and keep on feeding air to that ego. It's either that or you have time to think about just how pathetic you are, sitting behind that keyboard, harboring an attitude towards every post you read. Of course that's probably better than thinking of what the real issue is. Why everyone in your real life has abandoned you. Well I'll let you know. It's because you're a dick.

So, that being said, I'm going to continue filming my outings, because I enjoy it. Some of the people here enjoy it. I know I enjoy seeing trails I don't know, no matter what the quality is. This is good news for you though, because I want you to come back and refill your ego as much as you want on every clip I post. We all know you need it.
    Thank you. That truly made me laugh out loud.

The ole "you upset me so you don't have a life/no friends, etc. etc. etc." fallacy that insecure folks post when they get bent out of shape and are flailing around trying to make themselves feel better. It's an incredibly weak reply, but the humor factor is off the charts!

Here's what happened:

1. You posted some video on a discussion forum.
    2. Folks discussed it.
    3. My reply was very mellow, and factual, in my opinion. (IMO, B-roll, filler footage.)
    4. You got insulted and snapped back.

Maybe you should google "b roll" and try to understand the way that I used the term. You might feel better about yourself.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    [QUOTE=hitek79]When you make comments the way you did, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. /QUOTE]

Don't sweat it too much. If you look at the age of the account, the number of posts, and the general content of the posts, it is a troll. Don't let it get to you.

Some people get their jollies out of tormenting others through an anonymous source. That makes them a cowardly bully. It is kind of like a chihuahua that is a guard dog - all bark but a joke of a guard dog.

It's a piss ant. Not worth your effort.

My guess is its profile is new because it was already kicked off for cyber bullying.

mtbr member
    Don't worry, that's why I invited him back. Actually helping someone won't appease him, that's why I hope he comes back often and gets all the therapy he needs. Read his response to the above thread, he needs all he can get.

mtbr member
    What I like most about your video is the amount of detail the POV picks up in the trail (when mounted so low to the ground). When I first got my POV, I mounted it to my helmet and it was too far away from the ground to really focus on the trail detail.

You picked a great day to film.

I think having the POV mounted to the seatpost facing backwards may be a good complement to your chainstay-facing-forward view. For this view, I used the POV tube clamp with a zip tie (as long as it is not too cold). Another fun view is under the bottom bracket facing rear.

I enjoyed this video,

Bri

mtbr member
    I've thought about the BB view, but I'm not sure if I'm that daring yet. The rocks are just too big out here.

I like the idea of the seat post mount as well, and I'll be trying it out next go round.

Feb 2009
    Don't worry, that's why I invited him back.
    No, you didn't invite me back. Your crazy, fanciful post just begged for a rational reply.

Actually helping someone won't appease him,
    What you fail to understand, because you're blinded by your hurt feelings, is that my post was very helpful.

The fact is that the kind of b-roll footage that you used is uninteresting/wears thin for most viewers after the first couple of videos of that type.

It doesn't resonate with people because it's an awkward point of view. How many times have you been riding along with your head 4" off the ground?

Look at quality MTB videos, auto videos, ski videos, wakeboarding videos, Moto videos, street bike videos, etc, etc. and then think about how many of them use the type of b roll pov that you used, for your entire video.

Yes, it's helpful.

You'll just have to try to rise above your bruised ego to see my feedback for what it truly is.

mtbr member
    So again, lets see what you have to offer. Teach me. You have yet to tell me anything that will help improve my videos.
    Last edited by hitek79; 03-02-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Feb 2009
    So again, lets see what you have to offer. Teach me. You have yet to tell me anything that will help improve my videos.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Here is what I have posted that will help improve your videos:

"The fact is that the kind of b-roll footage that you used is uninteresting/wears thin for most viewers after the first couple of videos of that type.

It doesn't resonate with people because it's an awkward point of view. How many times have you been riding along with your head 4" off the ground?

Look at quality MTB videos, auto videos, ski videos, wakeboarding videos, Moto videos, street bike videos, etc, etc. and then think about how many of them use the type of b roll pov that you used, for your entire video."

If it would help you understand, I probably could figure out a way to post that in crayon.

Just let me know.

mtbr member
    So come on, post a video of yours. Lets see what quality is.

Feb 2009
    So come on, post a video of yours. Lets see what quality is.
    So did I tell you something that will help improve your videos?

mtbr member
    So come on, post a video of yours. Let's see what quality is.

Feb 2009
    So come on, post a video of yours. Let's see what quality is.
    Why are you afraid to answer such a simple question?

So did I tell you something that will help improve your videos?

If you grow some balls and answer my simple question I'll post up a video.

Pretty simple, eh?

mtbr member
    No, you did not. Post a video so I can see.

Feb 2009
    No, you did not. Post a video so I can see.
    That's hilarious. Ok, you're just mighty confused then.

Here's what I have posted that will help improve your videos, one last time:

"The fact is that the kind of b-roll footage that you used is uninteresting/wears thin for most viewers after the first couple of videos of that type.

Look at quality MTB videos, auto videos, ski videos, wakeboarding videos, Moto videos, street bike videos, etc, etc. and then think about how many of them use the type of b roll pov that you used, for your entire video."

Here's your cookie for finding the courage to answer the question:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/sedona.wmv

mtbr member
    LOL!!!!

You are a troll. I knew it. What happened to the last 2 handles you had?????

Feb 2009
    LOL!!!!

You are a troll. I knew it. What happened to the last 2 handles you had?????
    Nope, not a troll. That's the weak defense of folks like yourself who get bent out of shape when they don't get the type of feedback that they expect. You get extra points for all of the

As far as "handles" go, you'll have to take that up with the fragile folks who whine to the equally weak folks like Gregg or Francis. It's really funny, for reasons that you wouldn't understand.

The simple fact is that I posted a helpful critique, which is what you claim to have been looking for ('People that make helpful critiques are teaching me.").

It's too bad that you're apparently too insecure to actually learn from a helpful critique.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, and that video was average, at best.

Feb 2009
    Oh yeah, and that video was average, at best.
    If that makes you feel better, I'm happy for you.

Really. And truly.

I don't need any kind of validation from some insecure newb who thinks that the ant's-eye video view is da bomb...

mtbr member

You showed your true colors. That's all that really matters here. Good luck not getting booted again. Maybe it has more to do with you, than the other people here. Don't reflect on that too much though.

Feb 2009
    You showed your true colors. That's all that really matters here.
    Yeah, I provided feedback, as you have asked for in the past.

This time your panties got extremely bunched.

The last time, you thanked me.

Maybe it has more to do with you, than with me. Don't reflect on that too much though.

p.s. getting "booted" doesn't matter in the least. It's actually very funny, in ways that you wouldn't be expected to understand.

mtbr member
    So how many handles do you have?

Feb 2009
    So how many handles do you have?
    Only one active handle at a time, why do you ask and what does that have to do with your inability to recognize helpful critique when you read it ?

mtbr member
    That's all I needed to know. Thanks for playing, it was fun.

mtbr member
    Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKaeWkYbqk

I've been accused of putting b-roll footage up here before. I totally understand that if I were making a professional mountain bike video that was 20 minutes or more in length, that someone may tire of some of my camera angles. Actually, I really don't care to make a video that long.

Personally, I like seeing a 1-2 minute chainstay mount or other creative mount video especially if the trail is interesting. Getting the camera that close to the ground really does pick up some interesting trail detail.

I don't take myself too seriously, this is just fun for me. I love seeing new videos. If anyone on this site has some footage that they are excited about, post it! I enjoy watching them.

The only videos I don't personally like are straight helmet cam footage where there is no helmet visor and no part of the bike in view. Even if the helmet cam is following another rider, unless that rider is of the opposite sex, it's not interesting to me.

That's just my take,

Bri

Masher
    Eat less braunschwieger. You guys are slooooooooooooow.

mtbr member
    I agree 100% Bri.

mtbr member
    I stopped reading about half way down cause that dude is a true dick and should be banned.. Anyway, I loved the video and was wondering what kind of pedals your using? Looks like you had to put a foot down and got out of them really quick.
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Full XT cockpit
    Thompson X4 Elite Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Handlebars / Seatpost

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by braunschweiger
    Here's your cookie for finding the courage to answer the question:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/sedona.wmv
    Am I supposed to be impressed? I am not.

mtbr member
    Indeed. B-roll filler footage... can you not spend thousands of dollars on professional camera equipment to make a Pro. video?? sheesh

I like the camera angle, detail the camera picks up, smooth shots, smooth riding, and the trail looks awesome!

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmetCamGod
    Am I supposed to be impressed? I am not.
    X2 helmet cam vids suck

but to the OP nice vid, I like it a lot the quality is really clear & smooth.
    Interesting pov but personally not my 1st choice for video shoots. I much prefer to shoot 3rd person pov & if I'm gonna ride then I'll get some1 else to hold & shoot the vid for me rather than a helmet cam. As far as I'm concerned all you see with a helmet cam is the track & not the actual ride boooooooring.
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

mtbr member
    I liked the video. For some funny reason, I have the strange sudden urge to go buy some Maxxis tires and a DT wheelset!

lol... the labels of your wheelset are like subliminal messages flashing on and off.
    Klein Attitude & Palomino replaced with an 09 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite.

mtbr member
    Hi hitek, in your first video (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=491999) there's a shot of your POV.1 on the fork brace above the wheel looking forward. I recently tried to put my POV.1 lens there (using the C clamp on the wide flange base) on my Enduro but because the fork leans back the lens points into the air. In your video the top of the front wheel is in view so I was wondering how you mounted the lens in that position?

Thanks

Steve

Colorado
    Dude,

This is a cool shot, that is for sure. I think what the troll was saying is that it's B-Roll if you decide to create a season long compilation of footage, which I don't think is your goal if you're showing us little clips at a time (like most people do). So yeah, that dude was/is a troll.

Anyway, cool shot, I'm going to try and mix it up with mine and add a shot like that into the mix of my regular helmet view POV.

Thanks for sharing.

Members who have read this thread: 0