Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxxis Aspen

not so super...

Maxxis Aspen

Since it was displayed at eurobike and mentioned in another thread by the engineer I thought it might be ok to talk about this tire a little.

I rode the 2.25 version most of the summer on my 5 Spot and loved nearly every minute. It rules the hardpack. Sooooo freakin fast! Even with the minimal tread pattern it corners and brakes well.

Now what I want is a 29'r version of the 2.25!!!!!!!!!! Are you listening Maxxis?

mtbr member

Aspens Specs & Info

The Aspen 26x2.25 is still in the testing / development phase, and so the specs have not been finalized. Here are a few photos- it's a large tire.

I won't be posting any rider evaluations of the tire, but expect Geoff Kabush and Mathieu Toulouse to be riding it quite a bit next year.
    Last edited by bholwell; 10-03-2008 at 09:00 AM.

not so super...
    29'r version????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    29'r version????
    Perhaps for 2010

not so super...
    just in time for my 2010 DW link Turner Sultan.

I dig trails!
    Just when I had settled down with my tire choices, you pull this!

Looks like a really nice rear tire to match with an Ardent front.

Would the 2.25 version be a 60tpi and ~600-650g? (I would actually prefer 700g for more sidewall )

Also is the 62a the Maxxpro compound? or another?

Thanks for bringing a fast roller to a larger size.

P

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here in the UK we have mixture of conditions, one day its dry, next wet and muddy. The trails in Wales have a real mixture of rock gardens to roots and mud to hard pack in the same trail so it makes it really hard to pick one tire. I am currently running 2.1 Nevegals and am pretty happy just fancy trying something different! What do you think is the best Maxxis all rounder?

Thanks for you help..
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Just when I had settled down with my tire choices, you pull this!

Looks like a really nice rear tire to match with an Ardent front.

Would the 2.25 version be a 60tpi and ~600-650g? (I would actually prefer 700g for more sidewall )

Also is the 62a the Maxxpro compound? or another?

Thanks for bringing a fast roller to a larger size.

P
    Sorry, the specs have not yet been finalized. I will post more info when I'm able.

No good in rock gardens..
    Maxxis really are bringing out some nice treads of late.
    Less isn't MOAR

I like to ride my bike.
    Yeah, I think that looks awesome. I can't wait to try it as a front tire.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBR1
    Here in the UK we have mixture of conditions, one day its dry, next wet and muddy. The trails in Wales have a real mixture of rock gardens to roots and mud to hard pack in the same trail so it makes it really hard to pick one tire. I am currently running 2.1 Nevegals and am pretty happy just fancy trying something different! What do you think is the best Maxxis all rounder?

Thanks for you help..
    It's a bit tough to recommend tires for trails I've never ridden; usually the best advice is to observe what others in your area are riding. Having said that, take a look at the Ardent 2.25 front, and the ADvantage rear.

Kinda sorta reminds me of the Hutchinson Jumbo of a few years back.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sorry if this has been asked previously, but...
    Approximately when can we expect to see this tire for sale in the 26" x 2.35?
    Thanks!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by undead
    Sorry if this has been asked previously, but...
    Approximately when can we expect to see this tire for sale in the 26" x 2.35?
    Thanks!

probably never. Biggest size planned AFIK is a 2.25

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    yup, meant 26x2.25.
    thanks for pointing out my ADD!

bi-winning
    Hmm, i like how that tread pattern looks.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    It's a bit tough to recommend tires for trails I've never ridden; usually the best advice is to observe what others in your area are riding. Having said that, take a look at the Ardent 2.25 front, and the ADvantage rear.
    Hi bholwell,

I kinda took your advise, ended up with a 2.4 Ardent front and a 2.25 Ardent rear. Now its starting to dry up a little here I was looking at the Aspen as a rear tyre!

When will these be out in the UK, I see they are for sale in Germany!

Cheers

GBR1
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So when is this tire supposed to be out? Is it already out? If so where?
    Thanks,
    Mctigre

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Any ideas about the weight? When they want to make a fast roller hardpack tire (racing tire), it should have racing weight...
    If You want Plush, Buy a Couch...
    If you want to go Fast, Buy a 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Apparently these tires are already available in Europe. Does anyone know how I can get a set? I have found a company called Silberfische.net, I think a German company, has them for sale but I have not bought anything overseas. A local company contacted Maxxis who told him that is was up to the Destributor for the U.S. whom decides when certain tires and types ie Different durometers of tires are released and where. Case in point, a person in Europe can get a Maxxis Larson TT Downhill spec. casing but you cannot get one here.
    Anyway I just would like to try this tire for a race coming up soon.
    Thanks,
    Mctigre
    Last edited by MCtigre; 03-24-2009 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Did some prototype testing for the Aspen, 2.25 and 2.1. My favorite tire! I run the 2.25 on the front and 2.1 on the rear, and it's an amazingly fast yet controllable combination. Can't wait for them to be available for sale, because I've worn out all my test subjects

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zecanon
    Did some prototype testing for the Aspen, 2.25 and 2.1. My favorite tire! I run the 2.25 on the front and 2.1 on the rear, and it's an amazingly fast yet controllable combination. Can't wait for them to be available for sale, because I've worn out all my test subjects
    What type of riding were you using them for and how were they in the wet??

Cheers
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    What type of riding were you using them for and how were they in the wet??
    For 90% of my riding I run a Aspen 2.1 or 2.25 on the rear, and an Ardent 2.25 or Aspen 2.25 on the front. The Aspen performs surprisingly well in wet conditions, as long as it's not too deep or isn't the peanut butter GA red clay we have in the South (nothing does well in that stuff, though). The relatively open tread sheds mud pretty well.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They do pretty well in the mud, I was kind of surprised. I have never used them in front range CO mud, because our mud is cement in disguise and I'm not of fan of wrecking trails, but I did get the chance to use both the 2.1 and 2.25 in Vermont for a short while, including nationals last year. The stick very well to wet roots and rocks, and as long as the mud isn't super deep you are good to go. They shed everything off super fast once you get back on dry land. Treads are open and low, like bholwell said, so nothing stays on there.

On my hardtail running 2.25 front and rear was great, because it's such a high volume tire. For the FS the 2.1 is plenty squishy for the rear end. Weight is pretty good as well, and they go tubeless easily in my experience, even with ghetto tape/homemade sealant. I really can't wait for them to be for sale! I can't think of anything I would rather run for racing in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Any chance they will be available in a 650b?

Last year the rumor was Kenda and Maxxis were going to make 650b tires; so far we only have a Nevegal. I'd love to put a Ardent on the front w/ a Aspen on the back...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the replys, they sound like the tyre for me. Does anyone know when these will go on sale in the UK/Europe??
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So I answered my own question, found a site that was selling them in the UK. They only had the 2.1. I have mounted it on a Shimano 08XT wheel at 40psi. I guess this may stretch a little so will let you know in a few days. Pics tell the story, at the moment its coming up a touch small! Tread looks great though..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

not so super...
    Now how about that 29r version???
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Pics tell the story, at the moment its coming up a touch small! Tread looks great though..
    Not really. The prototypes measured roughly 2.06" at the casing, and 2.11" at the tread at 65 psi. The casing will stretch over the next couple of weeks, though.

I'm glad you like the tread. You can clearly notice the two different tread compounds in your pic. Now go get it dirty!
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

not so super...
    Now how about that 29r version???
    Nothing to see here.

Underskilled

Thanks for you help..
    GBR, I ride the same places as you, cut off every other transition knob on your nevegals, it massively improves the tyre for uk conditions.
    It reduces rolling resistance, increases traction on sandy trails and most importantly stops the tyre clogging with mud.

trust me on this, huge improvment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    GBR, I ride the same places as you, cut off every other transition knob on your nevegals, it massively improves the tyre for uk conditions.
    It reduces rolling resistance, increases traction on sandy trails and most importantly stops the tyre clogging with mud.

trust me on this, huge improvment.

Thanks for the info. I no longer have the Nev's, I now run the Ardents in Wales, much better IMO than the Nev, better grip/traction and less rolling resistance!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

Underskilled
    I was looking at the ardents, might try one when I get through my box of Nevs (bulk order from unicycle.co.uk, really good prices for 29er stuff)

Underskilled
    though these aspens are also on my list, as are a racing ralph... so about 2015 I might get around to it

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not really. The prototypes measured roughly 2.06" at the casing, and 2.11" at the tread at 65 psi. The casing will stretch over the next couple of weeks, though.

I'm glad you like the tread. You can clearly notice the two different tread compounds in your pic. Now go get it dirty!
    Sir, any idea when these will be widely available in the US market?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanVise
    Sir, any idea when these will be widely available in the US market?
    Maxxis (as do other bicycle part manufacturers) generally showcases new products at Eurobike and Interbike in September, so be on the lookout for them then.

Now guys, don't ask me any more questions you know I can't answer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The casing will stretch over the next couple of weeks, though.
    I inflated the tyre to 65PSI over night and then went for a ride today as the weather was great, it happens 2/3 times a year here in the UK

I measured when I got back and sure enough it was up to 2.1, so there you go!

The ride was great, just a local ride so a real mixture of gravel tracks, grass, hard and wet mud. Too early to tell too much but so far so good, its definitely fast!!!

For your info I ran it with a 2.25 Ardent up front on my hardtail, I think this will be my combo for the year!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

mtbr member
    For your info I ran it with a 2.25 Ardent up front, I think this will be my combo for the year!
    Great combo! My favorite for most conditions on the FS.

not so super...
    bhowell - If you make a 29'r Aspen I promise to be very gentle with it!!

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    For 90% of my riding I run a Aspen 2.1 or 2.25 on the rear, and an Ardent 2.25 or Aspen 2.25 on the front. The Aspen performs surprisingly well in wet conditions, as long as it's not too deep or isn't the peanut butter GA red clay we have in the South (nothing does well in that stuff, though). The relatively open tread sheds mud pretty well.

Wondering if you have run the aspen's with Stans?? I picked up a 2.25 today and think I may run it on the back of my Mojo, the side walls seem fairly thin, probably a touch thinner than the Ardent it may replace..

Thanks for the help..
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

not so super...
    Wondering if you have run the aspen's with Stans?? I picked up a 2.25 today and think I may run it on the back of my Mojo, the side walls seem fairly thin, probably a touch thinner than the Ardent it may replace..

Thanks for the help..

Works well with Stans goop on Stan's rims. Not sure about other rims.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member

Thanks for the help..
    Yes, the casing of both the Aspen 2.1 and 2.25 are 120 tpi, while the Ardent 2.25 has a 60 tpi casing.

I like to ride my bike.
    I saw Kabush racing them.

It looks like a great tire, I just hope they will release it SOON!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have been using some Aspen 2.1s converted with Stans for the past month or so. Rode a couple of stages of the BC bike race with them and have done pretty rugged trails and they have held up well.

A UST version would be great.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    I have been using some Aspen 2.1s converted with Stans for the past month or so. Rode a couple of stages of the BC bike race with them and have done pretty rugged trails and they have held up well.

A UST version would be great.
    Verrrry interesting.

I'll be submitting an application for sponsorship to Maxxis this fall, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    maxxis aspen=rubena CHARYBDIS

or viceversa

full images here -->http://www.rubena.co.hu/english/kuls...charybdis.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by talvin
    I don't see any similarities besides some cosmetic lines in the center of the rubena tire.

mtbr member

or viceversa

full images here -->http://www.rubena.co.hu/english/kuls...charybdis.html
    I've been running a pair for several months and I don't see any similarities to the Rubena. The Aspen is a FANTASTIC lightweight racing tire, and have proven to be very durable as well.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    and rubena saurus?? it s not similar to monorail??

the same center treahd
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    and rubena saurus?? it s not similar to monorail??
    Are you implying that Maxxis is copying Rubena's tread designs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Are you implying that Maxxis is copying Rubena's tread designs?
    No, I am amazed to see so many similarities

I never said he was inspired by whom

maxxis=rubena or viceversa

mtbr member
    Any word on release date for these tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 743power
    Any word on release date for these tires?
    The Aspen 26x2.1, 26x2.25, and 29x2.1 were released at Interbike last week, along with the Ardent 29x2.4, the MudWrestler 700x35C CX tire, and the Radiale 700x23C and 22C road tires. Check the website - www.maxxis.com

They're on the water right now, and should arrive in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks for the super quick reply. I'm picking up a set of the aspen exceptions as soon as they hit the distros.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Aspen 26x2.1, 26x2.25, and 29x2.1 were released at Interbike last week, along with the Ardent 29x2.4, the MudWrestler 700x35C CX tire, and the Radiale 700x23C and 22C road tires. Check the website - www.maxxis.com

They're on the water right now, and should arrive in a few weeks.
    Plans for UST versions of these tires?

swl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Maxxis Aspen

Sorry deleted.
    Last edited by swl; 09-28-2009 at 08:17 AM.
    SWL
    Connellsville, PA (Temp)
    Chicago, IL

Did I catch a niner+?
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Aspen.aspx

I would've like a larger 29er, this looks like it would excel so much more as a front vs a rear plus I am a heavier guy and prefer a wider tire.

Anyone see if GT had a write up on these yet?

pink

mtbr member
    These are now in stock and available for purchase through the Maxxis e-store.

mtbr member
    I have some on the way and I am very excited to try them. The maxxis exception tires are the best thing going.

Fat guy on a bike
    These are now in stock and available for purchase through the Maxxis e-store.
    And through folks like Universal Cycles (which probably means QBP listed).

mtbr member
    Got the tires mounted up on friday, they look nice inflated. We just got a crazy amount of rain here today, so I won't be testing them for a few days. I weighed them before I put them on, 460 and 461g, super light. The sidewalls seem a bit thinner than the crossmark exceptions they are replacing, but they aren't as thin as a schwalbe evo or conti SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was thinking about trying the aspen 2.25 as my rear tire. I ride in NC. Currently I have a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 as my rear tire. Does anyone know how these compare to each other in terms of rolling resistance, cornering traction and stopping power. The Crossmarks are fast but I was looking for a higher volume tire. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wraydp
    I was thinking about trying the aspen 2.25 as my rear tire. I ride in NC. Currently I have a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 as my rear tire. Does anyone know how these compare to each other in terms of rolling resistance, cornering traction and stopping power. The Crossmarks are fast but I was looking for a higher volume tire. Thanks.
    I would say the Aspen 2.25 has comparable rolling resistance and braking traction, and better cornering traction and climbing traction than the CM 2.1. I think it will suit your needs.

mtbr member
    I don't have the time to write a full review, but I will say that these are probably my favorite tires yet. They remind me of a cross between monorails and crossmarks. There is a lot more grip than you would think by looking at them. I went out for my benchmark 17mile loop at my local trails, which are very rooty, mostly twisty, narrow singletrack, with some paved bike paths, smooth doubletrack, and about 1mile of road thrown in the middle. The trails have received quite the soaking of rain over the past two weeks, but I let them dry out enough to not feel guilty about rutting them up. The combination of wet leaves covering basically every trail, with hidden patches of deep slippery mud made for a n eyes wide open ride. You were constantly trudging through either soft dirt or thick leaves, putting extra effort in to go a normal speed and then all of a sudden you would hit a turn and instantly start sliding from the leaves. In these sketchy turns, the aspens provided a progressive slide before the side knobs hit and dug in. Much like the crossmarks react in a turn. On the roots, you could feel the center knobs actually grabbing and pushing the bike forward. On the smoother parts of trail and the paved sections of the ride especially, you could really appreciate the low, low rolling resistance and round overall tire profile. The one thing I was particularly impressed with was the tires mud shedding ability. There are a couple of low lying sections of trail that were quite muddy. There was one section that had that kind of quicksand like mud where your single objective is to keep the bike moving forward, even if it is at 4 or 5mph, so that you dont get stuck. When I got out of the muck and back onto terra firma, the tires were cleared completely out after no more than 30 feet of riding on solid trail. That is a nice change from the crossmarks that like to hold onto mud and spray it all over your face for a mile before they clear out. The icing on the cake for these tires are that they sealed up instantly with stans (I know, I know) and they are incredibly light, over 120g savings over the crossmarks. There are a few XC races I am looking forward to using these tires next season, I just wish I had these in the summer, with hardpack, where I am sure these tires would shine ever more than they have already.

Mudder
    I would really like to know how these tires are in loose soil!! If anyone has tried them would you please let me know, just all aspects......in loose or somewhat slick conditions..... cornering, climbing, etc.....

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Has anyone managed to mount the 29x2.1 on Arch rims without a compressor? I've used crossmarks, ardents and rampages before only needing my floor pump to inflate them.
    My normal method is to inflate with a tube, unseal one bead to remove the tube, work the bead back into place and then inflate. The problem I'm having with the Aspens is I just can't get the second bead into place.

Mudder
    Any notes about the any flats people who set them up tubeless? Just would like to know if they are pretty durable as they are not tubeless tires or tubeless ready, but do they hold up good and everything tubeless?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone have some IRL weights especially the Aspen in 2.1 Exception?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slalomnorth65
    Any notes about the any flats people who set them up tubeless? Just would like to know if they are pretty durable as they are not tubeless tires or tubeless ready, but do they hold up good and everything tubeless?
    I have a pair setup tubeless on Crossmax SLR's. No problem mounting them and I've had no flats. I've ridden them in some extremely rocky conditions that have shredded other tires and they've held up really well.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    Anyone have some IRL weights especially the Aspen in 2.1 Exception?
    I think they went pretty conservative with the advertised weight (475g), so your chances of getting one lighter than that are pretty good.

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Aspen.aspx

It's carbon dontcha know.
    2 rides, 120 miles on my Aspens now. Fast, good traction for what they are. But they don't seem to be holding the air tubeless, they got very soft towards the end of a 6 hour endurance race yesterday. I need to try and find where they might be leaking if I was to use them for any longer races.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    2 rides, 120 miles on my Aspens now. Fast, good traction for what they are. But they don't seem to be holding the air tubeless, they got very soft towards the end of a 6 hour endurance race yesterday. I need to try and find where they might be leaking if I was to use them for any longer races.
    took about 2 weeks for mine to totally seal up.
    Nothing to see here.

Mudder
    If anyone's got pictures of the tires mounted on their bike feel free to post =)

STS
    mtbr member
    ho do you mount the aspen in the rear?
    If I mount it like in the front, for better rolling, will it have enough traction in technical uphills?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STS
    ho do you mount the aspen in the rear?
    If I mount it like in the front, for better rolling, will it have enough traction in technical uphills?

thanks

I would mount it in the indicated direction- I don't think you'll gain much climbing traction by reversing it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the traction, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    how would they compare vs. Race Kings? My only complaint re the Race Kings (2.2) is they can be sketchy through corners in loose over hardback. Seems like the Aspen might hold better with the side knobs?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Aspen 2.1 Exception

Purchased a Aspen 2.1 Xception recently and set it up as tubless (30psi) on a Stans 355 rim with rim tape only (ie. no rim strip)

Tyre weighs a true 445g and would seem only a mm or so off being a fullbag 2.1 like the Advantage Xception 2.1.

It's easy to see how there's such a difference in weight compared to the Advantage Xception 2.1 (526g) as the tread depth/side knob height is at least half, if not 1/3 of the tread compared to the Advantage, but.....this means that the Aspen rolls heaps better on any dry terrain.

Although the packaging says it's a XC tyre, trailriders in dry climates will find that it's a great rear tyre. I expect though that when it's wet you'd have to manage the lack of traction, also this would apply after you've logged a few hundred miles (terrain pending.

Well, I'm pretty happy with the Aspen other than Maxxis producing an Ardent 2.1 Xception looks like I've found a true 2.1 fast rolling rear tyre........

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes, the casing of both the Aspen 2.1 and 2.25 are 120 tpi, while the Ardent 2.25 has a 60 tpi casing.
    the maxxis website lists the Aspen 2.25 (TB72557500) as 60tpi (and heavy at 695 grams) and it appears the only 120tpi online for sale is the 2.1 - does that mean the 2.25 120tpi Aspen is not available in the US market?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    the maxxis website lists the Aspen 2.25 (TB72557500) as 60tpi (and heavy at 695 grams) and it appears the only 120tpi online for sale is the 2.1 - does that mean the 2.25 120tpi Aspen is not available in the US market?
    Correct. The decision was made to only bring in the 2.25 model in a 60 tpi casing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Correct. The decision was made to only bring in the 2.25 model in a 60 tpi casing.
    thanks for the info - ordered some 2.1's and eager to try them here in So Cal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    wondering what pressure people are finding work well for the Aspens (2.1)

Bikehard
    Mounted a 2.1 Exception tire to my rear DT Swiss 4.2d last night... bead set really easily however....after putting some stans fluid in and letting it sit over night they where down to about 20psi... got some soapy water and sprayed the tire to see where the leaks where coming from and comes to find out it is coming through the sidewalls of the tire....

Ive never seen a tire leak so much air through the side wall as i usually get some leaks where the bead is.... I am hoping it will seal itself up so i can give em a good ride.
    08 Turner 5 Spot.... 28lbs of Squish

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This tire is great. I've never had a tire that rolled so fast, and accelerate so easily. That being said I just tore through my sidewall on my front tire yesterday, (I was rideing pretty aggressively). I don't think I will be using this tire on the front anymore, probably stick with a highroller. Extra traction on the front tire can't be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by buildthis
    Mounted a 2.1 Exception tire to my rear DT Swiss 4.2d last night... bead set really easily however....after putting some stans fluid in and letting it sit over night they where down to about 20psi... got some soapy water and sprayed the tire to see where the leaks where coming from and comes to find out it is coming through the sidewalls of the tire....

Ive never seen a tire leak so much air through the side wall as i usually get some leaks where the bead is.... I am hoping it will seal itself up so i can give em a good ride.
    I'm betting that won't improve with wear.

Exceptions are pretty thin in the sidewall - my rear Monorail Exception is looking a bit threadbare on the sidewall for it's young age, and has been a cut a couple of times. I can see the carcass threads through the thin top coat of rubber.

Great tyres if there are no sharp rocks around, but they get cut up too easy around here, as do most light tyres .
    Less isn't MOAR

The Netherlands

2.1 or 2.25 size?

I'd really like to try out the Aspen, but I'm not sure whether I should go for the 2.1 or 2.25 size. I've had the Geax Mezcals 2.1 for some time. A good tire, but it lacked some grip in the front at times.

The conditions I'd like to use the Aspen for are mostly dry, on trails with hard mud and with some roots. There are hardly any uphill or downhill sections here.

Perhaps a 2.25 on the front and a 2.1 on the back?

The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Unwritten
    I'd really like to try out the Aspen, but I'm not sure whether I should go for the 2.1 or 2.25 size. I've had the Geax Mezcals 2.1 for some time. A good tire, but it lacked some grip in the front at times.

The conditions I'd like to use the Aspen for are mostly dry, on trails with hard mud and with some roots. There are hardly any uphill or downhill sections here.

Still haven't decided on 2.25 or 2.1. According to Maxxis.com, the weight difference between the two is 220g, which is quite much if you ask me.

The trails I ride, have a lot of corners and some roots. Perhaps the 2.25 might be more suitable, but I'm slightly concerned about the weight.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Unwritten]Still haven't decided on 2.25 or 2.1.QUOTE]

Please consider the Ardent 2.25 front, Aspen 2.1 rear. I think you'll enjoy this combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I run the aspens tubeless with 3 scoops of stans solution on my 29er, so far the rear is holding up the air and the front is a working progress. Im still shaking and turning inthe last 4 days now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    with these stubborn cases it often helps to deviate from standard procedure: simply put the wheel flat on the floor. It's now tilted, e.g. only a small part of the tire touches the floor. This is where all the sealant is now. Leave it there for any time but at least a few minutes. Then work your way around the tire always leaving the presently floor-touching section sit for a few minutes (or longer). Do the other side.

Laying out the wheel on a box is often not sufficient since it's never really flat and there is too little sealant to cover the entire sidewall around the entire wheel (which of course depends on the tire size). For some micro-leaks it simply takes some time to penetrate the sidewall, I mean, in the end it's just some porous material.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would say the Aspen 2.25 has comparable rolling resistance and braking traction, and better cornering traction and climbing traction than the CM 2.1. I think it will suit your needs.

How does the aspen 2.1 and the crossmark 2.1 compare in terms of rolling resistance and cornering and stopping power?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wraydp
    How does the aspen 2.1 and the crossmark 2.1 compare in terms of rolling resistance and cornering and stopping power?
    I would say the Aspen 2.1 has less rolling resistance, comparable cornering grip, and less braking grip on loose surfaces compared to the CM 2.1.

mtbr member
    I agree with Mr Holwell on this one. I have been switching back and forth between the two lately. The aspen rolls really fast, you can tell by how quiet it is on pavement. The crossmark and aspen are extremely similar in terms of absolute cornering grip. You have to lean into them both, but I haven't found the aspen to be any worse. Where the crossmarks shine compared to the aspens is in sloppy conditions, as the crossmarks track alot straighter, and in loose over hard, like leaves over rocks, as the aspen simply doesnt have enough tread depth to cut through onto the grippy part of the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I loved my Aspens. They were definitely the fastest tires that I ever put on my mountain bike. I never had any traction problems with my Aspens that I didn't have with my High Rollers, (once I learned that you had to lean the bike over). The problem with them was the sidewall. I went through the sidewall of my front and rear pair in 1 month. I guess when they say race tire they mean it. Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a set of tires every month, but if I do begin racing I am running these.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Unwritten

Try thr Geax Segauro 2.2 .Better corner grip and faster than an ardent and possibly an aspen?

mtbr member
    Did anybody weight them ?

mtbr member
    It's been a while, but if I remember, my exceptions were around 460g each. I hope to be putting them back on soon now that we are getting into normal trail conditions here and I will re-weigh them.

mtbr member
    Anybody here who uses them have some more miles on them ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex11
    Anybody here who uses them have some more miles on them ?
    What exactly do you want to know?

mtbr member
    In general some more ride-reports.

And hoping somebody could compare them to a Continental RaceKing 2.2 Supersonic,
    my favorite tire, but with one downside.
    They have very thin sidewalls, I already cut 2 on some rocky downhills.
    If i read some reports en specs. off the Aspen here, it can be a good replacement.
    So, in short...Can you compare those tires ? Or somebody else ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Ust?

What exactly do you want to know?
    When is the UST version being released? This is a super fast, light, and grippy tire. My only complaint is that I could not reliably run them tubeless. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.