TT L: 22.5"
    CS L: 15.9"
    BB H: 12.5"
    HTA: 72
    STA: 73.5
    S/O: 27" in the middle
    Weight: Ugly
    Ride: Lovely

I picked up this bike on Saturday for a song. The guy also gave me a Kinesis aluminum fork, but I strapped on an 80RLT since it has been criminally underused. The frame's got a few scratches, but no bruises or dents. It has short, rear-facing ends, but couldn't take the slack of my gearing choice, so a Rohloff has taken care of that duty. I'm looking into a half-link so that I can get rid of it.

I haven't done a real ride yet. It's only seen about a mile of singletrack under me on the way to work. I was bobbing a lot because I wasn't used to the fork. It hops high, even though she's girth-y. I believe she was built as a trials/all mountain/jumpy kind of bike back anywhere from '94-'97. Sounds about right for my area, especially since they were made in PA. This should be a fun bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    VERY Cool looking bike!

Have fun and post if the half link works. I am wanting to do the same thing myself to get rid of the tensioner.

May 2004
    Sweet! I've got an EWR as well, although it's no longer built since I transferred a lot of parts to my Chameleon. Mine is an E-Motion, and too big for me, the TT is 23.5" long.

Here's a crappy picture if what it looked like when it was together:

The 15.9" chainstays and 12.5" bb rock.

Any chance you'd want to part with that Kinesis fork?

try driving your car less
    nice ride! ditch the tensioner: just change your gearing, no halflings required.
    I like the grips. Very fashion-coordinated.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Nice ride. Gotta love the Big Cheese grips and the rare/beautiful Rohloff tensioner.

dd..'''

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Nice! Hopefully I'll run into you at Schaefer so I can take a closer look at it. Back in the late 90's I was searching for an EWR mod bike. Unfortunately it was around the time Jay was packing up the operation. They were unknowingly ahead of their time with respect to the trials community. I even used to see Jay and his fellow trials rider Jason McLean (formerly of Grove Innovations) with relative frequency out at odd trials events up until a few years ago when I stopped competing regularly.

Very cool bike indeed.

Out spokin'
    Very cool indeed, although the army green exhaust pipe is a little over the top.

All kidding aside, I've always thought EWRs were way innovative and desirable. Truly one of those instances where both form and function were combined to their ultimate potential.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Very cool - a buddy of mine has an EWR - I believe he said his was from 1996.
    They are beefy frames for sure - built to last and take a beating. I noticed your down tube is different than his - haven't seen one like that before.

May 2004
    You should be able to tell the year of production by the serial number on the bb shell. Looks like a '97 from here. I had a freind at Penn State with the same exact frame (color and decals) , his was a '97.

Aug 2004
    never heard of that company but the unique frame & color scheme with the flite saddle looks great

Aug 2004
    Very sweet...

Good stuff man!

Aug 2004

tensioner

it looks like you have horizontal droppouts to me. If so, no tensioner required
    have fun

Witty McWitterson
    coooooll! I love old vintage rides like that one...
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Great looking bike Drevil. I bet I could break the frame. Good luck with it.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by punk
    ...Any chance you'd want to part with that Kinesis fork?
    Nah, it's going on my wife's commuter. However, the guy that sold me the bike is also selling a new Kinesis fork: http://more-mtb.org/forum/showthread...=3663#post3663

Sep 2004
    Dude, that makes me want to dust off my Grove Innovations Hardcore and take it out for a spin. Hahahaha... I'll get to work on that. The east coast hardtails are amazing for riding in this area.

Great bike.

Peter

formerly Giantxc
    Was that the one advertised on MORE's site? I was very tempted but couldn't justify considering I have two naked frames at home as is!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    Was that the one advertised on MORE's site? I was very tempted but couldn't justify considering I have two naked frames at home as is!
    Yassir. I did a ride on it last night, and to say the least, I need to adjust to it. It's very different from the Chester. A few crashes and wipeouts involved, but the slick logs didn't help. I'll try it again at Schaeffer tonight.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

EWR Serial # solution

Do a thread search on here. I forget how the #'s go but Jay DeJesus himself posted how to read them. The HE- stands for Hairy Eyeball, etc., etc.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    Here's the other thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=21597

jdrp_stuntboy only made this single posting:

Quote Originally Posted by jdrp_stuntboy
    You guys just made my evening. Yes, this is the real Jay de Jesius. I have been considering making EWR frames again, and have been testing a prototype Bergwerk LSD from with a 4" travel rear that I would most likely be incorporating into an updated Original Woods Bike design (for 4X racing, jumping and the like). I am really interested in doing Original Woods Frames w/updated geometry and construction as well. I would love to see more user photos; please post more here, or you could email them to me at [email protected] as the fine chap with the disc mount did. Yes, the vertical drop'd Woods frames were from the last 2 runs - water jet cut custom cro-mo plate drop outs became rare, and Breezers are very trick. The orange ones we from the very last run, and Joe Williams make sweet frames. Did great work for me as well (Fresh Frame was THE place to go to for paintwork). I am so stoked to see so much interest out there, and that is what will make my descision to do this all again (though on a different scale).

I do have a few frames, but sorry, I cannot part with any.

Thanks again!

BTW: R-HE-119-7-94 as follows
    R (?), HE (Hairy Eyeball, almost became the name), 119 (first "1" meant nothing, second "1" meant 1st production run, "9" meant 9th frame in batch), 7 (July), 94 (self explanetory)

There 'ya have it...

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Do a thread search on here. I forget how the #'s go but Jay DeJesus himself posted how to read them. The HE- stands for Hairy Eyeball, etc., etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by punk
    Sweet! I've got an EWR as well, although it's no longer built since I transferred a lot of parts to my Chameleon. Mine is an E-Motion, and too big for me, the TT is 23.5" long.

Here's a crappy picture if what it looked like when it was together:

The 15.9" chainstays and 12.5" bb rock.

Any chance you'd want to part with that Kinesis fork?
    Hey punk, any chance you still have the EWR and would be willing to part with it? PM me if you want. I'd be VERY interested.

Fixed and single.
    Hey Drevil, didn't I see you on that at the Punk Bike Enduro back in January?

Fixed and single.
    Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    Hey Drevil, didn't I see you on that at the Punk Bike Enduro back in January?
    Nevermind i've had one too many and didn't read the date of your post. sweet ride regardless!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Mike, it's me, rickyd.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Nat
    mtbr member
    Dr. Evil, I can't stop looking at your bike. It's so cool! Are you still riding it? Is it your main bike?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Dr. Evil, I can't stop looking at your bike. It's so cool! Are you still riding it? Is it your main bike?
    It was never my main bike. Its geometry is very different from my Matt Chester so there was always an adjustment period when flip-flopping between the two bikes. The EWR is a "trialsy" bike.

However, like you, I've had a 29er epiphany. After a single ride on a borrowed Monkey, I sold a bunch of 26er stuff so I could get my own. They're that good.

Alas, the EWR sits dejected in a basement corner, dreading the day I'll sell her off. It'll probably be soon...
    Last edited by Drevil; 03-04-2005 at 09:36 AM.

[email protected] da dumb
    let's see that monkey. there's still some of us that haven't experienced the 29" enlightenment. we need some encouragement!

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    It was never my main bike. It's geometry is very different from my Matt Chester so there was always an adjustment period when flip-flopping between the two bikes. The EWR is a "trialsy" bike.

However, like you, I've had a 29er epiphany. After a single ride on a borrowed Monkey, I sold a bunch of 26er stuff so I could get my own. They're that good.

Alas, the EWR sits dejected in a basement corner, dreading the day I'll sell her off. It'll probably be soon...
    That thing looks so sweet. There are a bunch of big rocks in the woods here that would be so fun on that, rather than a true XC bike. Big step ups at slow speeds, with large roll offs that are not straight ahead, so you have to turn sharply and get way back. I have seen some skilled riders really do some incredible stuff. Then again, I doubt that I would all of a sudden become this trailsin' virtuoso on a different bike! But that's a cool bike. I have always wanted to just see how much difference just the frame geometry would make.
    Only boring people get bored.

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride1x1
    let's see that monkey. there's still some of us that haven't experienced the 29" enlightenment. we need some encouragement!
    Here is one

Fixed and single.

Hey Ricky!

Mike, it's me, rickyd.
    Yeah I was lit up the other night. 'you riding this weekend?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    Here is one
    Okay Motoman, time to bust out the camera and grab a few fresh pics. That's a sweet bike, but the parking garage setting is getting stale.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    My monkey approves of , er, the new Monkey!

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Okay Motoman, time to bust out the camera and grab a few fresh pics. That's a sweet bike, but the parking garage setting is getting stale.
    I completely agree with you Nat! I have subjected you guys to enough of my garage shots. The next shots will be of my new Wily! (The Monkey is either getting gears or getting fixed... not sure which yet)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    It was never my main bike. Its geometry is very different from my Matt Chester so there was always an adjustment period when flip-flopping between the two bikes. The EWR is a "trialsy" bike.

Dang-O-Pete! I must have missed this thread when it was new. The EWR frames are cool.
    Please let my know if and when you want to sell it, Drevil.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Drevil, when you decide to part....

When you want to part with your EWR Woods Bike, please drop me a line.Thanks!
    Eastcoaster

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Based on the thread posted above, your EWR should be...

Should be older than a '97, correct? Earlier runs of the Woods Bike had your type drop outs, later had Breezer drops I believe. Just interested...
    Thanks!

Sep 2004
    My monkey approves of , er, the new Monkey!
    There must be something in the water. The influx of monkeys in the area is quite astounding.

See you out there Drevil.

Peter