$20 Carbon Bar?- Mtbr.com

Thread: $20 Carbon Bar?

Uncle

$20 Carbon Bar?

Anyone using one of these?
    http://bobs-bicycles.com/itemdetails...gId=39&id=1518

Useful feedback welcome.

pedal pusher
    Sometime low prices are a good thing, and sometimes they plain scare me. This is one of those "plain scare me" times.

Jun 2003

Scary.

Words like Yikes, No, Trouble, and Scary come to mind.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Its a zoom bar without the brand decal on it, they're carbon wrapped aluminium and they're perfectly fine. I use Zoom carbon risers on a bunch of my bikes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Sometime low prices are a good thing, and sometimes they plain scare me. This is one of those "plain scare me" times.
    yep....don't buy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Its a zoom bar without the brand decal on it, they're carbon wrapped aluminium and they're perfectly fine. I use Zoom carbon risers on a bunch of my bikes.
    Buy it for looks Is there any engineering benefit to this? I somehow doubt it.

But if your into style over substance then I guess the $20.00 bar is right up your alley. I personally don't mind people kowing I'm a cheap a$$ and proudly rock my naked AL Bontrager bar tha I got from the LBS for $20.00.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Uncle

Q2 -- KHS stock(ing) stuff(er)

These came stock on some of the hi end 06 KHS XC bikes. Low rise, an ideal XC width, & they come in ~220g -- I think it'll do the job just fine. The matching stem was an alloy piece with a carbon overlay / wrap. Sounds like a dumb way to construct a component really, but the function I'm seeking from it pertains to the size & shape of it.

Zoom makes these? Do they also produce OEM branded stuff for other companies? I ask because I'm curious about the production of my other carbon bar, an ARC by/for Yeti. Was thinking that perhaps it's really a Bontrager piece, based on some faint memory that Yetis came with some Bontrager parts some time back, or that Yeti & Trek had some occasional connection...

Any chance you know of a website that shows the Zoom product line?
    thx for the feedback.

Carbon Wrapped Alloy is actually a very safe way to build a part to a light weight. The carbon compensates for the worse properties of the alloy and vice versa. In the case of bars and stems, the alloy underneath resists crushing loads better while the carbon on top adds stiffness and impact strength.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Currently in Exile
    Carbon Wrapped Alloy is actually a very safe way to build a part to a light weight. The carbon compensates for the worse properties of the alloy and vice versa. In the case of bars and stems, the alloy underneath resists crushing loads better while the carbon on top adds stiffness and impact strength.
    OK, the advertised weight of this bar is 219 grams. That's only 6 grams less than Eastons DH carbon bar. Would you trust this product for DH/freeride use? I wouldn't. But I would trust the Easton bar (yes, it does cost like 6 times as much). I again suspect that the carbon wrapped AL bar is more about style over substance. The argument that putting the two together to make some sort of light weight super component doesn't hold water with me. It reads more like marketing than anything else.

The Easton Monkeylite SL bar comes in @ 146 grams. My Aluminum Bontrager XC (circa 1999) bar weighs in at only 160 grams on my scale. Either of these bars made of a single material weigh less than the mixed bag bar that the OP linked to. Either of these items come from a manufacturer with a name and warrenty. Does the OEM bar come with a warrenty from the internet retailer? No. If the bar came specked on a bike that I was purchasing, I'm sure that I would use it. But I have too many questions about it to buy grey market from an online retailer that I've never heard of. If indeed this is a Kooka bar without a name, maybe the OP should look at the Kooka bar. At least that way he's getting a compenent with a company and a name that should stand behind the product if something were to go wrong.

Keith Bontrager said it best, "Strong, Light, or Cheap, pick any two."

On the other hand, Hell, it's only $20.00. Go for it.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

7hz
    Old newbie
    Carbon Bar - $20
    Set of false teeth to replace the ones you broke because your cheap ass bar failed - Priceless!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    OK, the advertised weight of this bar is 219 grams. That's only 6 grams less than Eastons DH carbon bar. Would you trust this product for DH/freeride use? I wouldn't.
    Maybe if you filled it with expanding foam from home depot ?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

pedal pusher
    The description reads: "This lightweight carbon bar has all the features of the big name brands and then some. Both ends are capped with aluminum to prevent damage if your bike tips over, and they allow a good area for you to install bar ends."

They're advertising it as carbon, with aluminum caps on the ends. If that's not the case--if it's actually an AL bar wrapped in carbon--then that's false advertising. Before buying it (as if I would) you need to confirm what it's really made of.

OK, the advertised weight of this bar is 219 grams. That's only 6 grams less than Eastons DH carbon bar. Would you trust this product for DH/freeride use? I wouldn't.
    No but I knew they weren't DH bars. Hell the fact that they were OEM on KHS XC bikes kinda clearly points to the fact they're not DH bars.

Keith Bontrager said it best, "Strong, Light, or Cheap, pick any two."
    On the other hand, Hell, it's only $20.00. Go for it.
    KB's a tool. He hasn't really designed anything himself in years and that statement attributed to him is an even older engineering axiom. In any case, 219 grams for a carbon riser bar is NOT light... so the strong / cheap two are covered.

Currently in Exile
    No but I knew they weren't DH bars. Hell the fact that they were OEM on KHS XC bikes kinda clearly points to the fact they're not DH bars.
    My point is that these XC bars weigh in close to the same weight of a QUALITY carbon down hill bar.

KB's a tool. He hasn't really designed anything himself in years and that statement attributed to him is an even older engineering axiom. In any case, 219 grams for a carbon riser bar is NOT light... so the strong / cheap two are covered.
    Regardless of who said it, it is usually true. Crazy thing is, I think that we really agree on this one. We just came at it from different angles.

My point is that these XC bars weigh in close to the same weight of a QUALITY carbon down hill bar.
    Easton bars tend to be exceptions as what they call a DH bar if you're going by weight is often lighter than many pure aluminium XC risers that come stock on many bikes. As such, a 219g carbon/alloy riser bar is still an upgrade for most bike owners. Sticking to the original issue, if I wasn't already a Zoom dealer and thus paying wholesale on their bars, including the lighter ones they make, I might be tempted to buy one of these.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Words like Yikes, No, Trouble, and Scary come to mind.
    You left out "Good Luck . . . Cross your fingers. . . . Pray . . . "

I'd agree. Too bad the weight weenies aren't paying attention.

DeForest Stump
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K
    Maybe if you filled it with expanding foam from home depot ?
    I think I'm going to fill my bars with foam. And those little holes in my frame - drill 'em out and foam away. In the unlikely event of a water landing, my bike just might float!

mtbr member
    it's like the old Scott Black Magic bar, carbon wrapping an aluminum bar. Nothing terribly new here.The insert in the end of the handlebar used to rip out when you crashed with bar-ends on them. I Did that in a race and had a nice jagged lump of metal to rest my hand on for the limp out.

Don't crash and life will be good...
    Alea Jacta Est

Uncle

Agreed on this point

Quote Originally Posted by bbbr
    Don't crash and life will be good...
    Thanks all for the insights. My project HT (Giant Rainier) came second hand with a wide Koski (Kalloy?) DH type bar -- 12 deg sweep, 2" rise, and I was searching for an XC low rise bar: ~ 8deg sweep, < 1" rise, & ~ 26" wide or less, to replace it. This meets my sizing criteria, and despite having once seen several Kore, Forte, & Sette bars for less than $20, it's the cheapest bar I could find today.

Price= , size= . Carbon, Carbon/Alloy combo = not all that important so long as structural integrity isn't a concern. And as stated, @ 220g, it's not the lightest carbonish bar out there, but it's about 120g lighter than the anchor that's on the bike now.

The original question was "Is anyone using one of these?" Would have asked in the KHS forum, but I can't find one...

Members who have read this thread: 0