mtbr dismember

Auburn, CA ride pics

Yesterday (12/3) I had a great ride at Auburn, California with UncleMTB, Dan'ger, 8Trak, Ibisguy, Zon and Pffft. The Auburn State Recreation Area is a huge, rugged park in the Sierra Foothills along the North and Middle Forks of the American River. I have driven across the Foresthill bridge, nearly 800 feet above the ravine, and it is quite impressive. But given the steepness of the ravine I had always hesitated to try riding out of it. But I'm desperate for another winter riding place so I decided to give it a try.

We parked at the bottom of the ravine and headed up the Clementine Trail to the Connector Trail. About eight miles in something overcame me and I thought I was going to die. Whatever it was, it mostly passed after a bit of a rest and a Clifshot. We then went around Forest Hill Divide counterclockwise, came back via the Connector Trail, and then took the Culvert Trail down to the Confluence Trail and back to the start. At 25 miles and about 3,300 ft. of climbing it was a pretty good workout.

It was near freezing at the start, perhaps 40-45 degrees in the sun on the trail, but sometimes near freezing, very humid and a bit frosty along the trails in the shade. So the speedsters went at their own pace and occasionally waited for Ibisguy and myself. However, Ibisguy has come a long way in the past few months and he was moving pretty well. The Connector Trail on the return, north side of Foresthill Divide and the Confluence were the most fun. Here is a map of the trails. Below are a few photos, a few more will be posted on my site.

Cool at the start

American River

Ibisguy and 8Track ready to rock

Dan'ger, Zon, UncleMTB stylin'

Downed tree portage, it was gone on the return!

The river below

UncleMTB, Ibisguy, Pffft

Connector Trail

Ibisguy in the Culvert tunnel

Out of focus Pffft on the Culvert Trail

Confluence Trail

More river

Pffft on Confluence Trail

Pffft on Confluence Trail (stay with me and you get your picture taken)

The bridges

8Trak and Dan'ger post ride

UncleMTB post ride

I Just Ride....

Good job! Such Memories!

I rode these same trails back in January when i ws in the Sacramento area for work.
    AndyF, hooked me up.
    That's an incredible network of trails there.
    Thanks for the memories!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice pix, doesn't look muddy at all, wish i coulda been there....amazing how much less light there is this time of year...

mtbr member

What a day!

That was a great ride! I will agree it was a bit cold at the start, but once we got on to forresthill divide and the sun hit me I warmed right up. You had me a little nervous when you and UncleMTB weren't right behind me at the end of the connector trail. I know was riding a little faster than I have the past few rides, but I know I wasn't riding that fast. Too many good trails I don't know what I liked the best... I do know the connector, culvert, and confluence will have to be ridden again. It's kinda spooky going through that culvert. I couldn't even see you, it's really a good thing you said you were there. Once again it was great to share the trails with you and everyone else. Oh I think I owe a big thanks to Pffft for running sweep. So Wherewolf when are we going back?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Great ride pics guys. Good to see the sun was out but I'm sure it was freezing in some of those protected canyons.

I didn't see any beeers!!!

francois

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Great ride pics guys. Good to see the sun was out but I'm sure it was freezing in some of those protected canyons.

I didn't see any beeers!!!

francois
    Beer was enjoyed post ride at Maria's along with some burrito's and fish taco's.

Feeling a little taller
    Thanks for the pictures! It was a great day!

This is my 3rd time riding those trails but the first time I've gotten to do it at my pace. Hammering is fun but getting to smell the flowers and enjoy the scenery made it a different experience for me this time.

Thanks to Steve and Tim for the concept!

The pace that Zon set was very close to my own - thanks, Bob!

The trails were perfectly tacky. I haven't railed corners like that since, well, last late fall! Looking forward to it again some time soon.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr dismember

So...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Hammering is fun but getting to smell the flowers and enjoy the scenery made it a different experience for me this time.
    So, I am as slow as I say!

mtbr dismember

Talk to Cohenfive

Quote Originally Posted by ibisGuy
    So Wherewolf when are we going back?
    Talk to Cohenfive, I think he is ready to lead another trip in two weeks. Seems like you are ready to start leading some rides too.

mtbr dismember

Video posted

I managed to get a few minutes out of the one tape that worked. The video is posted here.

MTBr ReMember

Steve the ride was ...

...excellent we can go there again!!!
    The pics are awesome and still only hint at how much fun that loop is.
    I also enjoyed meeting a bunch of new friends and catching up on MTBnews...

BTW the fleece shorts made a huge difference...My toes were the only thing on me that stayed cold.

Let me know where the next ride is...till then I'll be at Boggs.

Tim

pewpewpew Moderator
    Looks like an awesome ride!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Great pix!! Thanks for posting them up. I had a great ride guys,, it was very fun to ride with some "out a towners" especially MTBR'ers. I look forwrd to riding with you guys again soon.
    If you can ever get up here for a night ride let me know and we can go do a little "cat hunting'.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Great pic's Steve! Let me know if you want to drive another 1/2 hour and do a ride in Nevada City next time.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

The Uber Carnivore

Wonderful pix

They helped make a Moanday morning bearable.

mtbr dismember

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Great pic's Steve! Let me know if you want to drive another 1/2 hour and do a ride in Nevada City next time.
    Thanks, but I'm too old and too slow for you. But how does the South Yuba compare to Auburn?

It "is" about the bike..
    Jan 2004

Nice work Wherewolf!

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Thanks, but I'm too old and too slow for you. But how does the South Yuba compare to Auburn?
    Cool pics & video. It's fun to see video of our local rides! Gotta get me one of them video cams!

South Yuba is another great winter ride. In fact we just rode there the previous weekend. It's alot of up & down rollers along the river, so you don't get the long descents like you do in Auburn, but it's pure singletrack and you'll be good and whooped by the end of the ride! I have a few photos here:

South Yuba - Late Fall 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    LOL!! I'm 45 years old, how old are you?
    The S Yuba is a blast, not to technical and great scenery, and a bunch of short steep climbs. Let me know if you plan a ride up hear
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr dismember

Twilight years

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    LOL!! I'm 45 years old, how old are you? The S Yuba is a blast, not to technical and great scenery, and a bunch of short steep climbs. Let me know if you plan a ride up hear
    As I said, I'm too old and slow to ride with you. I know you race. I ride once a week. Short steep climbs kill my knees but perhaps I'll try S. Yuba someday. Auburn wasn't as bad on them as I expected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

december 17th return to foothills area??

weather permitting would anyone here be interested in either a do-over on the loop ridden last weekend or another ride in the area (like s yuba)?? i'm finally clear to do an all day ride, have been totally out of commission for about a month now. it was so bad i got on my road bike last weekend, had to get out somewhere even if only for 90 minutes. my daughter thought i looked strange with my non-spandex north face pants and mtn bike baggies over them!!

if it seems there is interest in a ride i'll post a seperate thread....

c5

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    weather permitting would anyone here be interested in either a do-over on the loop ridden last weekend or another ride in the area (like s yuba)??
    Count me in!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    weather permitting would anyone here be interested in either a do-over on the loop ridden last weekend or another ride in the area (like s yuba)?? i'm finally clear to do an all day ride, have been totally out of commission for about a month now. it was so bad i got on my road bike last weekend, had to get out somewhere even if only for 90 minutes. my daughter thought i looked strange with my non-spandex north face pants and mtn bike baggies over them!!

if it seems there is interest in a ride i'll post a seperate thread....

c5
    Hard for me to comit, but I'm most certainly interested. It's possible I will be working overtime the next couple of Saturday's. If I can make it, I won't know until the last minute or so. I'd like to check out the South Yuba area, but would have no problems riding Saturday's loop again.

mtbr member

South Yuba Loop or Auburn this Sunday

If interested....respond to my post on the NORCAL Board

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

tag a long

I love to ride at Auburn, the problem is that I have to ride alone most of the time if I want to get a workout. My friends are out of shape and most can't make it up to the top, and a double or triple loop is out of the question. I would appreciate it if you would let me join in one of the next rides. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0