Which Zoch model should I buy?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Which Zoch model should I buy?

I will be building my newest toy within the next two years. I am looking at a trailbike (whatever that means) like a Titus, ellsworth Epiphany, or a Foes 2X1, etc.

While Im willing to shell out the dough to piece together my dream ride (building everything but the wheels) I want to keep stuff within the realm of reality. (read as Fox forks are way too much cash for way too much stuff that I will break) I want to stick to Marzocchi because every fork of theirs has lasted through years of use and abuse with almost zero problems (not caused by my stupidity.) Also have had excellent customer service with them every time. they even serviced an old MCR at the Sea Otter, and it runs like new.

I have looked at several of the models like the MX, EXR, FR SL, z1 light, AM, etc. I am leaning towards something like the All Mountain or FR because of the simplicity of coil/oil, and abillity to take years of punishment without complaint. I am not all that concerned about weight as I pedal aound a 43 lb urban assault hard tail on a few trails, but would like to keep the rig 35lbs or under. (the comp will be mix of Race Face, XT, etc)

If anyone has experience with the All Mountain line I would love some feedback. Also, if you have any of the 06 models like the Z1 light, etc. let me know how it works. I am kind of leery about getting something air sprung, but how does the Marzocchi air spring system hold up.

Also, if you have any ideas about an awesome trail bike frame let me know. (prefer a made in the USA)

Thanks.

Freshly Fujified

Do your homework

You're on the right track in looking at the All Mountain, AM, Z series and other forks that are geared towards more aggressive riding. Waht you need to be careful of is what damping and coil system each fork uses. For example, the All Mountain and AM series forks are not dual coil. They are either a coil/air hybrid, or dual air, depending on the model. Same with the Z series and 66 series. There are pros and cons to all of these. I'm a dual coil fan myself, but the newer model dual coil Marzocchi forks use SSV damping, which may not be as supple as the hybrid coil/air forks in the '05 and '06 models. From my perspective, the best dual coil forks Marzocchi has produced over the years are those with HSCV damping. This can be found in '03 and '04 Z-1 Freeride forks, and probably a few others in their longer travel forks. It was also used in '03 and '04 Marathon S forks, but they are more XC oriented.

It's a very confusing proposition, trying to sort through all of this. I should know, as I just went through all of this myself recently. I ended up buying a used '03 Z-1 freeride, and haven't looked back. FWIW, I my second choice would have been the '05 All Mountain 1. Too much money, too many bells and whistles, and I love the HSCV damping system.

Best wishes in finding the right fork, and I hope I've been helpful.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Also Consider Thru Axle

My $0.02 for the discussion would be to also look at 20mm thru axle models. I have had several Z1's over the years, and have had good results with every one. I tried a Fox RLC for a bit, but have gone back to Marzocchi. I went with a 20mm thru axle this time around, and have been pleased with the stiffness and tracking it offers. I went with a 150 Z1 FR3, and reduced the travel to 130. It is a dual coil with SSV damping on both sides, but on hindsight, wish I had went with a model that offered external rebound damping.

Jul 2006
    Thanks for the info Clyde. I have a Z1 FR on my urban/DH hardtail and have three lucious years on it. I doubt that I could find another 04 in new condition, but I will try.

Jul 2006
    Have the 20mm on my FR, and wont go back to standard except on a lightweight XC bike. Im not one for much fiddling with adjustments either. I set the sag and the rebound where I want it and go, so not too worried about all the piddly bells and whistles. thats why i like the Marzocchi coil/oil. Easy, durable, no muss, no fuss.

Jun 2006
    Marzocchis hybride forks seem to give the best of both worlds, and I haven't read about problems with the air side on any reviews. as a bonus you get coil performance with the ability to add air to adjust spring rate instead of having to change out the spring to match your weight.

Ive been running an am1 for a bout a month and a half now and it's stout, plush, and smooth--but aren't all zokes?

My fork has 5 different external adjustments and at times it boggles my mind, But eta is a must for steep climbs and tst seems to be useful if you can get your air set right (so you can use all adjustments), but I could do without it. External rebound is would be sweet if I knew what I was doing.

Apr 2006

Quote Originally Posted by cooper5
    I will be building my newest toy within the next two years. I am looking at a trailbike (whatever that means) like a Titus, ellsworth Epiphany, or a Foes 2X1, etc.

While Im willing to shell out the dough to piece together my dream ride (building everything but the wheels) I want to keep stuff within the realm of reality. (read as Fox forks are way too much cash for way too much stuff that I will break) I want to stick to Marzocchi because every fork of theirs has lasted through years of use and abuse with almost zero problems (not caused by my stupidity.) Also have had excellent customer service with them every time. they even serviced an old MCR at the Sea Otter, and it runs like new.

I have looked at several of the models like the MX, EXR, FR SL, z1 light, AM, etc. I am leaning towards something like the All Mountain or FR because of the simplicity of coil/oil, and abillity to take years of punishment without complaint. I am not all that concerned about weight as I pedal aound a 43 lb urban assault hard tail on a few trails, but would like to keep the rig 35lbs or under. (the comp will be mix of Race Face, XT, etc)

If anyone has experience with the All Mountain line I would love some feedback. Also, if you have any of the 06 models like the Z1 light, etc. let me know how it works. I am kind of leery about getting something air sprung, but how does the Marzocchi air spring system hold up.

Also, if you have any ideas about an awesome trail bike frame let me know. (prefer a made in the USA)

Thanks.

take a look at the Chumba Evo and Marzocchi Z1 special at adrenaline bikes...www.adrenalinebikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0