Zip tie on fork tube- Mtbr.com
    powered by bacon

Zip tie on fork tube

Probably most people here use or have used a zip tie to set fork sag at one point or another, I was just wondering how many of you guys leave it on there when you go riding. Any problem with dirt or dust scratching the fork?

UBER Addict
    I leave mine on just to see what kind of travel I am using on the trails. I've never had issues with scratching yet, but I also try to keep my stanchions clean.

~Disc~Golf~
    no, I can usually see what kind of travel I'm getting from the dust dings that remain - I dunno if a zip-tie is really "bad" for the stanchions, but I can't imagine that it's good for it.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    I have always left mine on, no problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I leave mine on all the time I like to see how much travel I am using after each drop so I kind of know the limits of my suspension-if i use the dust line i dont really know where i used that much travel -was it on the three footer or the six footer? For me the zip tie provides a little more info

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave
    Any problem with dirt or dust scratching the fork?
    I have one of those low profile zip ties on my fork. I push mine down next to the fork seal at the beginning of a ride and check to see where it winds up at the end of the ride. Therefore it's being pushed, incrementally, partway up the stanchion during the ride. If it were constantly being pushed up and then back down again, there may be cause for worry about dust and dirt scratching the stanchion, but given the relatively limited movement of the zip tie during the ride, I think there's little cause for concern.

What is of greater concern is whether or not there's room for the zip tie at full compression. I measure from the fork seal to the crown to verify that this distance is greater than the maximal travel of the fork plus the width of the zip tie. If it is, I figure it's safe to leave it on full time.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    What I've been doing is taking a super thin rubber band, cutting it, wrapping it around the fork, and then tying it. If you use one of the really thin ones it's a bit smaller then an o-ring and works great.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight
    What I've been doing is taking a super thin rubber band, cutting it, wrapping it around the fork, and then tying it. If you use one of the really thin ones it's a bit smaller then an o-ring and works great.
    You are running a very high risk of sucking that rubber band down past the fork seal, and if that happens it could pull a spring from the fork seal with it that could tear up the stancion tubes which will require a new fork upper to fix.

Oct 2007
    holy worst case scenario

those seals are water/oil tight.. its not gonna suck a rubber band in.. well unless its a fox, those things are so loose you could suck in small animals!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great story: Road trip to Rampage site in Utah w/ a few friends, one who had a zip tie on his boxxer stanchion.... as it turns out he had his crowns lowered a bit too much and upon bottom out the zip tie was forced down past his fork seal. It was pretty funny! More a function of not checking clearances than zip ties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    no i dont leave it on...
    i set the sag, then take it off.
    Every few ride i check to see if theres any changes but apart from that i take it off
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

mtbr member
    I keep my pet dwarf hamster in the lowers. If he's bashed into a bloody pulp i know i used full travel. Lucky for him, i'm using a fox air fork. When i first put him in there i put an o-ring from a topeak floor pump rebuild kit on one of the stanchions to check it intermittantly.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by D34ThL0rd69
    I keep my pet dwarf hamster in the lowers. If he's bashed into a bloody pulp i know i used full travel. Lucky for him, i'm using a fox air fork. When i first put him in there i put an o-ring from a topeak floor pump rebuild kit on one of the stanchions to check it intermittantly.
    I tried something similar - but used a normal sized hamster (newb mistake)
    anyways, the bloody pulp contaminated my fork oil, bone bits jammed into the port orifice on my damper - ~6 hours rebuild time
    Honestly... ahh I give up

aka dan51
    I use the dirt line method.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    holy worst case scenario

those seals are water/oil tight.. its not gonna suck a rubber band in.. well unless its a fox, those things are so loose you could suck in small animals!
    A buddy of mine crashed a few years ago, and the blue rubber ring PUSH put on his TALAS was gone after the crash. We figured it just broke off.

6 months later we did a fork overhaul and found that the blue rubber ring actually got pushed down below the wiper. No damage happened, but I never thought the ring would be able to make it past the seal.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I use the dirt line method.

A buddy of mine crashed a few years ago, and the blue rubber ring PUSH put on his TALAS was gone after the crash. We figured it just broke off.

6 months later we did a fork overhaul and found that the blue rubber ring actually got pushed down below the wiper. No damage happened, but I never thought the ring would be able to make it past the seal.
    Yeah, I found that on my `04 TALAS the fork pretty much used the entire exposed stanchion on a bottom out, so I would think a zip tie or such could be problematic. On my Pike and Reba, There is still some stanchion exposed even at full bottom out, so I do not worry about anything getting pushed down past the wipers/seals.

ride hard take risks
    I'll drink to the dust method also. End of ride their is a ring of dust for all different amounts of travel used, unless you do a stoppie at rides end.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    holy worst case scenario

Just telling you what I have seen with my own eyes. Funny thing is 4 months after this fork came into the shop I was wrenching at the Specialized Rep. came into the shop to do a Specialized product update for us and he told us about this exact thing happening on their forks and that a zip tie should be put in place of the rubber o-ring, or nothing at all.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave
    Any problem with dirt or dust scratching the fork?
    No, it gets pushed up to the max and stays there, it doesn't rub back and forth.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by D34ThL0rd69

Simply Awesome. Thanks for the laughs

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbSupply
    Simply Awesome. Thanks for the laughs
    I don't think he's trying to be funny.
    The hamsters know he's not trying to be funny!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Zip tie never gave me any problems. But last time I rebuilt my fork, I just slid on an o-ring while I had the lowers off.

Members who have read this thread: 2