Z1 FR springs too heavy for a 100lb rider? Spring rates?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2005

Z1 FR springs too heavy for a 100lb rider? Spring rates?

I'm looking to upgrade my 2004 Kona Coiler to 6" travel at both ends - BETD plates at the rear but what to do at the front?. I had in mind a Z1 FR and read with appreciation the wisdom provided by Tscheezy, SSINGa and others - thanks guys. Marzocchi don't seem to soft springs for the Z1 and feedback here in the UK is that stock springs are probably best suited to around a 13 stone rider - double my weight. I currently ride an OEM Drop-Off Comp, which is fine, but Zokes in Italy wouldn't spare me the time to tell me whether the DO springs are lighter than those in the Z1.

Does anyone know the spring rates for the Drop Off Comp, Z1 FR1 and AM1?

Would I be better off with a Z1SL, or jsut go for a Pike with a soft spring?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Stock Z1 springs are good for about 160-170lb rider. You can remove the main coil spring, however, and use air preload to get correct sag. There's a coil in the ETA leg that's gonna make this fork still feel like a coil for at your weight.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Jun 2005
    I'm going to say Pike with soft spring. Marzocchi FR forks are not the best for making soft.

Yes, you can take a spring out and add air, but this makes for a little stichion and doesn't always feel as good as pure coil. I've done this mod to several z1 forks. They tend to come incredibly stiff with the coils.

If you go Pike you don't need air and still be super plush at your weight.

Does Marzocchi even sell softer springs these days?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Z1 SL or Pike dual air - probably your best bet.

Dec 2005

New question here. Min air pressure for Z1 SL?

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Z1 SL or Pike dual air - probably your best bet.
    Thanks for the feedback. Is there a minimum air pressure for Z1 SL's for the rebound to work right? Does stiction start to become a problem? And I guess set up might be even more of a problem than usual - would you suggest 5 wt oil?

Dec 2005

Pike with soft spring

Thanks. Do you think the extra 10mm on the Pike is worth making the change for over the Drop Off Comp? Obviously the 20mm axle would be stiffer.
    For interests sake Tim Flooks (probably the UK's No 1 suspension guru) also suggested Pike Coil with a soft spring - he knew an 8 stone rider wiith good experience with the soft spring - but should I hold out for that extra 10mm? Nixon?

mtbr member
    OK, dont get too hung up over 10mm tracel, TBH a pike with 100mm travel would feel better than a Drop Off Comp because the quality of the motion control damping is so much better. My brother is about your weight (~7 stone) and runs Pike dual Airs on his SC Bullit. They work perfectly for him, with correct sag and preload, and he gets full travel. I've ridden them myself and was very impressed with the damping feel of the forks. So yeah, I'd go with Pikes, if Flooksy says you can get away with a coil then you have a choice. In the end of the day he knows more about MTB shocks and forks than everyone else on this board combined so take his advice. If he can do Peaty and the Athertons then he can sort you out!

Members who have read this thread: 0