Yeti SB100 shock setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Yeti SB100 shock setup

I'm trying to get the correct setup for this shock but can't seem to find a good sweet spot for it.

Yeti recommends 12mm of sag (37.5 stanchion) for a 32% sag total. I weight about 205 lbs with my gear on and had to out about 255 psi in the shock to achieve this sag. Yeti also recommends 9 clicks of rebound at this pressure.

My issue is at fully open, the shock is very plush and wonderful riding down hill, but definitely gets pedal bob and sits low in its travel when pedaling up hill. If I put the shock in the Medium/Middle setting, it firms up a lot. Great pedaling uphill, but also very harsh. This setting feels almost like the Firm mode on my previous bike. I tried keeping it in open mode and adding a single click of LSC (it has only 1-3 available) and it feels almost like the Medium setting. Pretty harsh but pedals a lot better.

Can anyone give me some tips for finding a good middle ground for this bike? I'd love to kill a little bit of the pedal bob but keep a bit of the plushness. I'd prefer the bike to not feel like a hardtail if possible.

mtbr member
    Have you tried going up in volume spacer?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I haven't. Would this just add more progression to the shock?

It's already pretty progressive as I'm not using full travel even at 32% sag

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is the problem with OEM suspension, you need custom valving to make it do what you want. Otherwise, as you note, you get "blow through the travel"-mode and "jackhammer mode".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanproxy View Post
    I haven't. Would this just add more progression to the shock?

It's already pretty progressive as I'm not using full travel even at 32% sag
    Yes but could lower psi to achieve full travel at a higher sag without bottoming out..may help

Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Yes but could lower psi to achieve full travel at a higher sag without bottoming out..may help

You have to remember that a 37.5 mm stroke shock at 32% sag doesn't leave much room to have any kind of mid-stroke support.The leverage curve is a linear progression so what you need is a more volume (remove or reduce spacer)and more pressure (less sag).

There is a reason lock-outs/platforms were invented. I've installed a Cane Creek DBAir iL with a climb switch that is an adjustable platform on my XC bike because of the lack of travel means you have to make the most out of it.The stock Fox DPS isn't a great shock for a big guy with a fairly high leverage rate but it might be possible to improve it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post
    You have to remember that a 37.5 mm stroke shock at 32% sag doesn't leave much room to have any kind of mid-stroke support.The leverage curve is a linear progression so what you need is a more volume (remove or reduce spacer)and more pressure (less sag).

There is a reason lock-outs/platforms were invented. I've installed a Cane Creek DBAir iL with a climb switch that is an adjustable platform on my XC bike because of the lack of travel means you have to make the most out of it.The stock Fox DPS isn't a great shock for a big guy with a fairly high leverage rate but it might be possible to improve it.
    When I wrote to Yeti about this, they also suggested I add a spacer. They recommended a .2 or .4. I did happen to order some spacers and tried a .4 in there, but it did close to nothing to improve the issue.

Considering I'm at 255 psi and the shock only takes 300 psi max, I'm getting pretty close to the max pressure already. I guess I can remove the .4 spacer I just added and try to get the sag at around 20% and see if that helps

mtbr member
    Reduce your sag to 25 or at least 30% and you'll see a big improvement. Also go off of Fox's recommendations and NOT Yeti's (they were WAY low on air pressure and WAY too fast on rebound damping for me). Yeti's recommendations are a joke.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Reduce your sag to 25 or at least 30% and you'll see a big improvement. Also go off of Fox's recommendations and NOT Yeti's (they were WAY low on air pressure and WAY too fast on rebound damping for me). Yeti's recommendations are a joke.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Their air pressure was only about 7psi off for 32% sag for me. It recommended 248 but it took 255.

Rebound does seem very high though. 9 clicks for 255 psi seems incredibly high.

I will try upping the sag some and see what happens.

Do you think I need a volume spacer as well as decreased sag?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanproxy View Post
    Do you think I need a volume spacer as well as decreased sag?
    Only if you're bottoming out at a psi that works for you to get proper sag. What I'm finding with the new Yeti's is that they use all of their travel but don't really seem to bottom out too hard... perhaps because of the SI link?

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!