Yet another Psylo Q: diagnosis help- Mtbr.com
    Uncle

Yet another Psylo Q: diagnosis help

Hi. I just picked up a used 03 Psylo xc (U-turn, rebound adjustment, hydracoil damper) for cheap (yeah, I know... should have searched it here more first.) If there's hope that it will work fine with just an oil change, it will serve perfectly well as an occasionally ridden, rec. ride fork for my GF's best friend, so upon working, it will lead an easy life.

What I can tell thus far without installation or dissembly:

*Doesn't squirt anything out when I compress it
    *Smooth compression stroke
    *Rebound knob works
    *U-turn knob works

What's got me a bit unsure about this fork:
    When I cycle the fork, it sometimes rebounds smoothly, and other times has a bit of... um, hydraulic snag, for lack of a better term: It comes up every time, but sometimes has kind of a hick-up feel when rebounding (partially smooth/fast, then slows mid return-stroke). I haven't changed the oil yet, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Does this sound like old oil, low oil, or could this undeniably indicate a bad rebound damper?

If it COULD be that it just needs oil, I'm willing to try it. Hoping some longtime RS experts can give me a solid direction to go with this -- change the oil, or "just scrap it now cuz it's busted" kind of assistance.

Thanks for enduring yet another Psylo thread, and for any help with this.
    Josh aka 105mmop

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Change the oil.

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    It would be good to take the fork apart to clean the parts, there might be some rubbish that's blocking the orifice in your damping system, causing the wierd damping....

Mas
    "Ride it, Feel it...."

Uncle
    Changed the oil yesterday, but I didn't pull the lowers off. The old oil was likely the original stuff, and I replaced it with Motul 7wt. It's feeling better, but my gut says that the damper o-rings need some attention. I'm hopeful that I can reuse the new oil if I pull it apart.

Any other informed thoughts on this are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm the owner of a Hydracoil Psylo, and I'd say, if possible, just sell it and buy a fork with proper damping. The Psylo uses a gussied up port orifice damping system, and it's just rubbish when speeds pick up. It's not the stiffest fork either. Do yourself a HUGE favor and either buy a Fox or a new Rock Shox.

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Changed the oil yesterday, but I didn't pull the lowers off. The old oil was likely the original stuff, and I replaced it with Motul 7wt. It's feeling better, but my gut says that the damper o-rings need some attention. I'm hopeful that I can reuse the new oil if I pull it apart.

Any other informed thoughts on this are appreciated.
    Yes there i no problem in re-using the new oil, but try to filter it first before using as it might have some debris inside.....

Cheers~
    Mas
    "Ride it, Feel it...."

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I'm the owner of a Hydracoil Psylo, and I'd say, if possible, just sell it and buy a fork with proper damping. The Psylo uses a gussied up port orifice damping system, and it's just rubbish when speeds pick up. It's not the stiffest fork either. Do yourself a HUGE favor and either buy a Fox or a new Rock Shox.
    Thanks for the recommendation, bad mechanic. I agree that this isn't the best fork around, and I've no doubt that it will not perform as well as my vanilla or my F100 -- or my bombers for that matter. But, for $53 invested so far, I'm trying to get my gf outfitted with something functional. She's a fairly technically competent rider for how green she is, but she's afraid of speed. As such, I don't think the damping issues you referenced will be a big concern. If I decide not to put it on her bike, then it'll likely end up on a bike of her friend -- a very green and timid rider. Why bother, you ask? Have you ever experienced the RS Pilot C? It makes the Psylo feel like vanilla, and there's really no fixing that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Have you ever experienced the RS Pilot C?
    Say no more.

Members who have read this thread: 0