Yamaha Fork! Itís coming...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    725

    Yamaha Fork! Itís coming...

    Yamaha appear to have made their own inverted MTB fork!





    It hurts to paste this link but here we go.
    Source: https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/yamaha-e-bike-391838

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    645
    That's quite the blingy bike.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    That's quite the blingy bike.
    Yeah donít get me started , I just focused on the fork. Inverted might be somehow better for some reason but I'd be very nervous to ride my stanchions close to rocks etc... donít really know what the logic is behind that. However a fork coming from Yamaha must be pretty legit!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    198
    Looks much like X-Fusion Revel-X fork...

    -201909021200171612.jpg

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post
    Looks much like X-Fusion Revel-X fork...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201909021200171612.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	1288575
    Yes exactly the same fork.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    725
    Yamaha is more than capable to make their own forks, why would they use x-fusion?!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velodonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Yamaha is more than capable to make their own forks, why would they use x-fusion?!
    Why did Toyota use BMW to make the new Supra? Sometimes it makes sense to not invest in development and tooling costs if you can end up with a comparable product without spending that money.

  8. #8
    DOOM
    Reputation: silentG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    516
    Maybe Yamaha doesn't want to front the production costs for something that may or may not sell?

    It could be that this isn't a Yamaha fork per se but rather something gussied up to give the impression of being a Yamaha fork for promotional reasons, some fool on the Internet fronting for appearances, etc.

    Let's say Yamaha is going to roll out a fork, they could partner or purchase a suspension company to give them a jump on the process sort of like when people were speculating that Shimano was going to purchase Marzocchi/Tenneco before Fox scooped it up.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,778
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Yamaha is more than capable to make their own forks, why would they use x-fusion?!
    Because its easy and they look different so stand out.

    You can tell its a Revel when you look at the details on the fork.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    513
    They did the Kashima wrong.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Yamaha is more than capable to make their own forks, why would they use x-fusion?!
    Yamaha's production motorcycle suspension is made by Showa or KYB.
    Road race factory teams use Ohlins
    Yamaha once owned Ohlins....but sold it many years ago.
    Could they make a fork?.....sure.
    But probably not....they are too busy making pianos, motorcycles and e-bike motors ( among other things)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    725

    Yamaha Fork! Itís coming...

    Alright alright ... it seems to make sense! False alert then I guess?!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    They did the Kashima wrong.
    On MX bikes they Kashima coat the tubes and then DLC the lowers/stanchion.

    If Yamaha were going to do a fork they would farm it out to Kayaba/KYB.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    100
    I wanted a revel. I put down a deposit on the revel. It never happened. The chap from xfusion UK told me the reason was due to terrible standards, and that they couldn't support and endorse a product such as the revel.
    Basically they were apparently shite.


    Id still have one though

    Hope Yamaha have uncrapped them....

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,369
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    They did the Kashima wrong.
    They should ask these guys for help: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3qUQFDnqhM/
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,966
    They should focus on making a good Moto fork first.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Yamaha is more than capable to make their own forks, why would they use x-fusion?!
    might want to tell Yamaha that so that they quit paying Kayaba to equip their moto bikes.

  18. #18
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,229
    This is what's wrong with the mtb industry. Moto and similar companies have been putting their name on absolute shit in the mtb industry from day one. Suspension deserves so much better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This is what's wrong with the mtb industry. Moto and similar companies have been putting their name on absolute shit in the mtb industry from day one. Suspension deserves so much better.
    Stickers and paint are cheaper than engineering time. Why not just take your road racing dampers, slap them into a bike fork and see if they sell?
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    915
    Itís a show bike, they probably just wanted to make it look like an mx bike.

    Someone at Yamaha probably knows someone at X-Fusion and they were like boy have we got a fork you can use!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Stickers and paint are cheaper than engineering time. Why not just take your road racing dampers, slap them into a bike fork and see if they sell?
    Who did that ?!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC7 View Post
    Itís a show bike, they probably just wanted to make it look like an mx bike
    They sure did, looks ready for the Baja 1000 ... if you add USB ports and a portable barbecue theyíll sell even more ...

  23. #23
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,479
    I'd buy one if it came in a 29er 140mm boost!

    The X-fusion only sells a 27.5 version....bum deal imo! Let's go Yamaha!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

    https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    They should focus on making a good Moto fork first.
    What!??? Have you ridden a modern YZ or YZF?? 06 and up, best fork in the game. I have raced moto my whole life and that fork is objectively good.

    Oh I get it now, they are KYB forks yea. I think yamaha still is a big part of the R&D process on that fork, they are at least resposible for the settings that make it so good.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Skerby View Post
    What!??? Have you ridden a modern YZ or YZF?? 06 and up, best fork in the game. I have raced moto my whole life and that fork is objectively good.

    Oh I get it now, they are KYB forks yea. I think yamaha still is a big part of the R&D process on that fork, they are at least resposible for the settings that make it so good.
    Yeah, just did a bunch in Moab on a 19 yx450f and blew out both fork seals. Isn't there a huge aftermarket for their forks specifically? Really don't have much to compare it to dirt bike wise going back to 04 or so if being honest. With that, based solely on my friends input they are great bikes, & I most likely will be buying one to tool around on for next year.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Yeah donít get me started , I just focused on the fork. Inverted might be somehow better for some reason but I'd be very nervous to ride my stanchions close to rocks etc... donít really know what the logic is behind that. However a fork coming from Yamaha must be pretty legit!
    Dirt bikes have had inverted forks for 20 years now. Not sure why you would worry about them being on a mountain bike.

  27. #27
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,229
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenErik1 View Post
    Dirt bikes have had inverted forks for 20 years now. Not sure why you would worry about them being on a mountain bike.
    The reason they work on dirt bikes is different, they use massive crowns and have virtually no ďsteererĒ, the biggest reason they ďworkĒ for motorbikes is massive bushing overlap, which is precisely what you lose when you go single crown inverted. Because we donít have crowns as massive or stanchions, we need a lot more torsional rigidity from the fork, which is why mtb forks have brake arches, itís an important structural part. When you get to more than about 8Ē of travel on an mtb inverted makes sense to get enough bushing overlap, but they are inherently flexier in torsion. A single crown inverted is a noodle and not worth pursuing due to the inherent limitations. Sure, with enough exotic engineering like keyed or square stanchions it can work, but put that $$& into a conventional fork and it would end up better. There is no good reason to make a single crown inverted for a mtb.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 83
    Last Post: 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM
  2. 210kw Yamaha
    By Harryman in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2017, 10:16 AM
  3. Bosch or Yamaha mid drive
    By NEPMTBA in forum E-Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2016, 08:33 AM
  4. Yamaha BMX?
    By bing! in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 04:24 PM

Members who have read this thread: 352

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.