WTF?? Why does my Marz Z1 Fr Sl only have 4" of travel??- Mtbr.com
    Haud yer wheesht!

WTF?? Why does my Marz Z1 Fr Sl only have 4" of travel??

I was on a ride yesterday, and was looking at the guys w/ their Fox forks, and noting that they sure looked like they had more travel than I. Sure nuff, I got home & measured and I'm barely getting 4" of stanchion showing on a fork that's supposed to get 5" of travel!

What the hell's going on, here? Any ideas?

Thanks,

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 02-24-2004 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Missspellled 'stanshun.'
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I was on a ride yesterday, and was looking at the guys w/ their Fox forks, and noting that they sure looked like they had more travel than I. Sure nuff, I got home & measured and I'm barely getting 4" of stantion showing on a fork that's supposed to get 5" of travel!

What the hell's going on, here? Any ideas?

Thanks,

fp
    Wierd..it looked like a 5" fork when I saw it. It's only showing 4" of stanchion? Maybe something with the air spring because I doubt that could happen on any coil fork, maybe some how it's settled...?

Haud yer wheesht!

Steppin' on up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Wierd..it looked like a 5" fork when I saw it. It's only showing 4" of stanchion? Maybe something with the air spring because I doubt that could happen on any coil fork, maybe some how it's settled...?
    Yeah- it's settled or something. I stepped on the front wheel and tried to lift up on the bar to see if I could pull more travel out of it, to no avail.

Looks like it's going back, for the 3rd or 4th time.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Jan 2004

Wait a second...

You're showing 4" of stanchion, or 4" of travel? ie, does the 4" measurement exist between your seals and crown, or your seals and zip-tie? If it's the former (4" of stanchion), lower your negative pressure--you've created too much sag. If it's the latter, lower your positive pressure--your fork ramps up too quickly, and you're not getting full travel as a result.

If I'm jumping to conclusions, which I probably am, given that you're a reasonably competent Z1 SL owner, I'll think of what else it might be, and you let me know if either of those [obvious] fixes work.

just along for the ride
    Be glad you got an inch in the bag, cause full travel means no reserve and at sopeed its best to float over the junk than hobby horse getting the full travel out of ones fork hoping the rebound damping handles it. Let her rip and you might hit 4.5 with a bigger =)

Haud yer wheesht!

I can't believe...

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    You're showing 4" of stanchion, or 4" of travel? ie, does the 4" measurement exist between your seals and crown, or your seals and zip-tie? If it's the former (4" of stanchion), lower your negative pressure--you've created too much sag. If it's the latter, lower your positive pressure--your fork ramps up too quickly, and you're not getting full travel as a result.

If I'm jumping to conclusions, which I probably am, given that you're a reasonably competent Z1 SL owner, I'll think of what else it might be, and you let me know if either of those [obvious] fixes work.
    ...that I spelt it 'stantion.' D'oh!

Yeah- that's all that I've got showing. There's no way I could get another inch out of it, because there's no where for the legs to go.

You say I may need less negative pressure, but that's why I said I pulled up on the bars- usually when I had to much pressure, I could pull the stanchions up out of the legs. I also hate to mess with the pressures- I have yet to get the pressure correct on my own- it's always come back from Marzocchi feeling good, so there was no need. I am NOT a competent Marzocchi owner!

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Jan 2004

Don't talk.

You're not making sense, probably a result of not actually reading any posts.

Jan 2004

Naw...

None of my suggested fixes will help. The fork would extend if you yanked up on the bars if you were just running too much sag.

My [new] suggestion? Stop relying on Zoke. Dismantle the entire thing yourself, clean, lube, fill, etc, or have a really good shop do it. That said, I wouldn't recommend paying someone to work on it, as they might not be able to fix it. If you're comfortable tearing it down yourself, that should be the first step. Reassemble properly, and make sure it's got the right amount of oil. Fill it 22+ and 100-, and see where that gets you. If the same problems are still present, send it back to Zoke, and demand a NEW FORK--not just a "fixed" fork. I can't believe you got such a dud. In fact, I think you're the only person on the board having serious problems!

Haud yer wheesht!

Well...

None of my suggested fixes will help. The fork would extend if you yanked up on the bars if you were just running too much sag.

My [new] suggestion? Stop relying on Zoke. Dismantle the entire thing yourself, clean, lube, fill, etc, or have a really good shop do it. That said, I wouldn't recommend paying someone to work on it, as they might not be able to fix it. If you're comfortable tearing it down yourself, that should be the first step. Reassemble properly, and make sure it's got the right amount of oil. Fill it 22+ and 100-, and see where that gets you. If the same problems are still present, send it back to Zoke, and demand a NEW FORK--not just a "fixed" fork. I can't believe you got such a dud. In fact, I think you're the only person on the board having serious problems!
    It's only been about 3 months since 'zoke had it. I'm such an idiot when it comes to working on bikes, I would hate to fock with it. The nearest competent shop is an hour away, altho I guess that beats waiting a couple weeks for it to come back from 'zoke.

It sure does sound like I have a dud, dudn't it? Maybe I'll try and adjust it to the pressures you've recommended and see what happens...

Any other ideas? Maybe put the old, trouble-free MX Comp back on?

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Jan 2004

In the mean time...

Yes, I'd put the MX back on. I ride with a guy (in CO) who rides an MX Pro all the time, and likes it a lot, so there's no shame in that.

SLs are really easy to dismantle. You'll need two things: a socket for the top cap, and a socket (or hex wrench) for the bottom. Just unscrew both--top first, and pour the oil into an oil-pan. (Watch out for the small parts under the ETA-cap!) Once you have the pumping rods in your hands, pump them a good number of times each, and get everything out. Re-assemble the same way (really, it's really really easy. Really.). With the topcaps loose, pour 85 ml oil in the right leg, and 50 in the left. Replace topcaps, and add air. (My air suggestions are only good for my weight, obviously--155 lbs--but I know they won't induce too much sag, for testing purposes.) Good luck!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    [QUOTE=SDizzle]Yes, I'd put the MX back on. I ride with a guy (in CO) who rides an MX Pro all the time, and likes it a lot, so there's no shame in that.

yeah, but i now have buyers remorse and wish i'd gone for the z1 instead.....get that extra 10mm ya know....and it'd sure be hella stiffer; not that my 140# is having problems with the fork......

FWIW, this is the 04 mx pro 120mm eta; i think FP has last years 105mm comp eta. that was my old fork; this years pro is a whole deal better!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Jan 2004

Oi!

Lets ride sometime soon. I rode Hall yesterday, which was nice to the bench, and Backbone a few days ago, which was oh-so-choice. Chazza's leaving on Friday, so I'll be free(r) after that...

Haud yer wheesht!

Latest installment.

Yes, I'd put the MX back on. I ride with a guy (in CO) who rides an MX Pro all the time, and likes it a lot, so there's no shame in that.

SLs are really easy to dismantle. You'll need two things: a socket for the top cap, and a socket (or hex wrench) for the bottom. Just unscrew both--top first, and pour the oil into an oil-pan. (Watch out for the small parts under the ETA-cap!) Once you have the pumping rods in your hands, pump them a good number of times each, and get everything out. Re-assemble the same way (really, it's really really easy. Really.). With the topcaps loose, pour 85 ml oil in the right leg, and 50 in the left. Replace topcaps, and add air. (My air suggestions are only good for my weight, obviously--155 lbs--but I know they won't induce too much sag, for testing purposes.) Good luck!
    So, I figured I'd mess with the settings- it's storming pretty hard here and I can't ride anyway... checked the pos chambers- one at approx 25, the other at approx 30 (why does my pump gauge only have 4 increments under 50 psi???). Then checked the neg chamber- I couldn't tell what was in it. I released a little air, the fork started to pop up a little- released a little more and the fork popped up totally. I now have 5.25 inches measuring on the stanchion! Woohoo, I think- maybe that's all that needed to be done. I remove the adapter, and some foamy liquid comes out the chamber. Uh, oh. I put the cap back on & try to click the adjuster- it feels funny, like there's only 4 settings. I push down on the fork. No damping. I move the dial, and in several settings, the fork stays down. So now I have one full-travel setting w/ no damping, and the fork's all focked up on the other settings- either staying down, or coming back up sluggishly.

It's going back to 'zoke, and I will attempt to invoke the lemon law this time. I've had it with this piece of sh!t.

Anyways, thanks for your help

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There is nothing "wrong" with your fork...

I had a Z1 SL for a while. The ECC is finnicky. There is virtually no dampening difference between positions 1 and 5. Think of it as an "on-off switch" for the travel-reduction feature. And it often will come back up slowly when "locked down" and not being ridden, but this is not a problem when riding because your body weight keeps it down. The foamy liquid is just some oil spraying out when you let out the pressurized air, because it is an open-bath design. The "no rebound dampening" when in full-travel mode is because it is an air fork, and that is just how air forks feel. If you want rebound dampening, get a coil fork. And if you want no hassles, get a coil fork. And if you want ultimate plushness, get a coil fork.

If you don't like the way the fork rides, sell it and get a Z1 coil (yes they are sooooo much better). But don't bother sending yours back to Marzocchi, because it is working the same as every other Z1 SL I have heard of or ridden.

Haud yer wheesht!
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I had a Z1 SL for a while. The ECC is finnicky. There is virtually no dampening difference between positions 1 and 5. .
    I beg to differ. There was marked differences between the settings. And I love the way the fork rides, it's just being able to adjust it myself that stymies me.

Thanks-

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Jan 2004
    I guess it's probably still under warranty, but have you considered consulting a 3rd party tuning company like Hippie-Tech? They were very helpful for me, in that they basically told me what was wrong with my fork for free (I suppose assuming that I would send it to them?) while I had no help at all from the company (Stratos, not Marzocchi). Anyway, it's worth a try, although it might not help at all.

Jan 2004

Naww.... (again)

You have got a lemon, I'd guess. watermocassin didn't really put his finger on anything correct. The negative chamber always seems to hold a lot of oil; it's not just what's 'spraying out' of the valve. Mine does it, and it doesn't seem too bad.

But...the ECC thing. I agree, in that every setting feels different (though some are quite similar), and it really shouldn't do what yours is doing. I had comparitavely minor problems with my Black Elite, and Manitou replaced the fork and refunded shipping, for what it's worth. Zoke isn't known for the service Manitou is, but I wish thee the best of luck, anywhoo.

Jun 2003

What are you talking about?!?

I had a Z1 SL for a while. The ECC is finnicky. There is virtually no dampening difference between positions 1 and 5. Think of it as an "on-off switch" for the travel-reduction feature. And it often will come back up slowly when "locked down" and not being ridden, but this is not a problem when riding because your body weight keeps it down. The foamy liquid is just some oil spraying out when you let out the pressurized air, because it is an open-bath design. The "no rebound dampening" when in full-travel mode is because it is an air fork, and that is just how air forks feel. If you want rebound dampening, get a coil fork. And if you want no hassles, get a coil fork. And if you want ultimate plushness, get a coil fork.

If you don't like the way the fork rides, sell it and get a Z1 coil (yes they are sooooo much better). But don't bother sending yours back to Marzocchi, because it is working the same as every other Z1 SL I have heard of or ridden.
    What do you mean, there is no rebound damping because it is air sprung? THe air is simply the spring medium, nothing more. There still needs to be some way on controling the rebound stroke.

Haud yer wheesht!

Slowride!

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    I guess it's probably still under warranty, but have you considered consulting a 3rd party tuning company like Hippie-Tech? They were very helpful for me, in that they basically told me what was wrong with my fork for free (I suppose assuming that I would send it to them?) while I had no help at all from the company (Stratos, not Marzocchi). Anyway, it's worth a try, although it might not help at all.
    Wassup? Still listening to music?

Thanks for the tip- if Marz can't help me, maybe I'll be in touch w/ Hippie-Tech. Altho a couple of the guys are pretty damn helpful around here.

Here's a link to the audio version of mtbr- hope you can stop by once in a while. Lots of trading going on there...

http://forums.audioreview.com/forumd...php?forumid=40

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Jan 2004
    Yes! Look for my messages on that board. I've been meaning to stop by there for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Wassup? Still listening to music?

Thanks for the tip- if Marz can't help me, maybe I'll be in touch w/ Hippie-Tech. Altho a couple of the guys are pretty damn helpful around here.

Here's a link to the audio version of mtbr- hope you can stop by once in a while. Lots of trading going on there...

http://forums.audioreview.com/forumd...php?forumid=40

fp

mtbr member

Finchy, that's not normal.

I'd push Marz, and whoever you bought the fork from.
    Despite what other posters may have said, I have distinct damping differences from the various ECC clicker positions.

So foamy oil, huh? Any chance that you somehow got some water in there?
    On the roofrack in a rainstorm?
    I guess that's not it, but it's just a guess.

Try Marz, see what they say.

Oh, and I peeked at the music forum.
    Probot is inaccessible? I'm not sure if that's what I'd call it - my description would be something closer to "lame". Although I loved the idea of hearing Lemy screaming on a Ghrol song, the imagination far exceeded the reality.

I guess it's back to listening to the Grey Album for me..........
    Last edited by Mackie; 02-25-2004 at 09:01 PM.

just along for the ride
    He's a sucker for not going Fox drizzle,live and learn oil over coil is what makes the world go round, have fun jr.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    backbone twice last week, hall last week a time or two to the bench. should be getting drier on the rest soon.

hoping stuff south gets dry soon, too.

free to ride sat/sun. might hit a group road thing one of those though, and play at hall later in the afternoon.

heading to moab april 17-21st, if interested. some folks i know from boston comeing out to play for a bit.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Haud yer wheesht!

Sooooo....

Quote Originally Posted by Mackie
    I'd push Marz, and whoever you bought the fork from.
    Despite what other posters may have said, I have distinct damping differences from the various ECC clicker positions.

So foamy oil, huh? Any chance that you somehow got some water in there?
    On the roofrack in a rainstorm?
    I guess that's not it, but it's just a guess.

Try Marz, see what they say.

Oh, and I peeked at the music forum.
    Probot is inaccessible? I'm not sure if that's what I'd call it - my description would be something closer to "lame". Although I loved the idea of hearing Lemy screaming on a Ghrol song, the imagination far exceeded the reality.

I guess it's back to listening to the Grey Album for me..........
    What about the latest Killing Joke disc? Have ya experienced that, yet?

I haven't listened to the Probot enough to give it an in-depth review such as yours ...why "lame"?

fp

P.S. I haven't heard much Motorhead- what astounds me about the Lemmy/Probot track is it seems he's got two tones going on with his voice at times!
    tRump is SCUM.

mtbr member

Nope, not yet.

I have not heard the Killing Joke CD - is it any good?
    Funny, the only KJ disc I own is What's This For?, wich has got to be pretty old now...early 90's I'd guess.

I found Probot to be a let-down. I guess I was expecting something innovative or different from Grohl, which would really take advantage of some amazing vocalists, and push that genre in some new direction. In the end, each track sounds like a middle of the road song off of one of the vocalists albums. I actually checked some Voivod albums, because I could have sworn that Dictatorsaurus was a remake of one of their older tracks.

I guess i have not totally written it off - I'm still listening to it - it's in the car rght now, but other than Access Babylon, none of the tracks are really thrilling me.

Jan 2004

Keep me posted...

on the Moab details. School ends sometime around there, and I might get done super early like last semester. I'll be looking to ride with freakish frequency then, too, as I'll be leaving for Oz on the 16th of May. I'm taking my bike--hopefully I'll find some real fun in Australia.

This Saturday is good for me, but I'll be looking to get out earlier. I don't really want to fight the crowds either way, but want to ride. Want to head down south to Golden?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

clarifying...

What I meant by 'there is no rebound damping and the ECC doesn't change the rebound damping' is as follows. Yes, each ECC position feels a little bit different. But the rebound damping range is from "almost none" at the 1st position, to "not nearly enough" at the 4th position. Every air fork I have ever ridden has not had enough rebound damping, which is part of the characteristic feel of an air fork. If you are a lightweight rider, or if you like a fork with very very little rebound damping, or you ride smooth trails, it might be enough rebound damping for you.

Also the effectiveness of the ECC varied from ride to ride on my fork, sometimes easily holding the "lock-down" and sometimes coming back up, and sometimes the damping changed more for each click. A couple times it stayed locked down, as FinchPlatte described, and a couple times it wouldn't lock down.

All of these problems have been present in every Z1 SL I've seen, which is why I wrote that there's nothing "wrong" with FinchPlatte's fork -- it is working as well as it is going to. If these annoyances don't bother you, keep the fork. If they do bother you, sell it and move to a coil Marzocchi -- that is what I did, and have never ever regretted it.

As for the foamy oil, yes, there is a lot more oil in the negative air chamber. But when you release 150 psi of air, you are going to spray a little bit of that oil out, and it can easily look foamy. Nothing to worry about there.

Haud yer wheesht!

Once again...

Also the effectiveness of the ECC varied from ride to ride on my fork, sometimes easily holding the "lock-down" and sometimes coming back up, and sometimes the damping changed more for each click. A couple times it stayed locked down, as FinchPlatte described, and a couple times it wouldn't lock down.

All of these problems have been present in every Z1 SL I've seen, which is why I wrote that there's nothing "wrong" with FinchPlatte's fork -- it is working as well as it is going to. If these annoyances don't bother you, keep the fork. If they do bother you, sell it and move to a coil Marzocchi -- that is what I did, and have never ever regretted it.
    ...it's not working as well as it's going to. It's worked supremely in the past, and that's what the whole point here- it's not working like it used to. This has happened before, and I've sent it back before. 3 times it's come back, worked great for a while, then as soon as someone (me included) messed w/ the pressures, it goes to hell. This time, no one messed, and it was working fine, I just didn't have full travel.

I'll just get it fixed, then sell it. That must be what Marzocchi wants- surely they don't want me to send it back everytime I need to put air in it.

Looks like my friends were right- I should have gotten a Fox. That's what I get for wanting to be different.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Finch, Just chiming in here, but, air sprung suspension components need a fair amount of , "focking" with, to function properly. To some this is a pain in the rear, others enjoy tuning & delving into mechanical stuff to see what makes them tick. This fork is very tunable. If you're going to keep this fork you gotta do this stuff. At the very least find a low pressure shock/fork pump graduated in easy to read multipule increaments. I've always received help from the tecs @ marzzochi with a phone call durring so. cal. business hours. Call them, be specific, pick their brains, that's what they get paid for. Ask how they're setting it up for you when you send it in. Maybe you got a lemon, but looks like setup & staying on top of pressures to me. I don't profess to be the suspension guru, but I've had good luck w/this fork. Hope you figure this out so you can ride more and stress less.

Haud yer wheesht!

I know, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    Finch, Just chiming in here, but, air sprung suspension components need a fair amount of , "focking" with, to function properly. To some this is a pain in the rear, others enjoy tuning & delving into mechanical stuff to see what makes them tick. This fork is very tunable. If you're going to keep this fork you gotta do this stuff. At the very least find a low pressure shock/fork pump graduated in easy to read multipule increaments. I've always received help from the tecs @ marzzochi with a phone call durring so. cal. business hours. Call them, be specific, pick their brains, that's what they get paid for. Ask how they're setting it up for you when you send it in. Maybe you got a lemon, but looks like setup & staying on top of pressures to me. I don't profess to be the suspension guru, but I've had good luck w/this fork. Hope you figure this out so you can ride more and stress less.
    I've tried for (what seemed like) hours trying to tune it. then I took it to the LBS and the mechanic spent a long time trying. He would call 'zoke, try a different pump, call 'zoke, try different types of air (have you tried helium?), to no avail. That fork will not let a normal human being adjust it. Apparently, the guys at Marzocchi are not human.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not stressing at all. I'm glad I have the MX fork to fall back on, thank God.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

trail waggler

Try contacting Ventanarama...

At mtnhighcyclerly.com. Larry really knows his 'Zokes, and he's great to deal with.

I gotta say, I haven't done ANYTHING to my '03 Z1 FR, it has been the sweetest fork I've ever owned outta the box. I've owned a couple of RS air forks, and I had a leak on one air spring (popped the wiper right out of the lower), but I was always paranoid that I'd lose a spring in the middle of a ride. Plus, I don't think it is as important on my 32# Enduro. I'll just cut my nails, spit twice, and that should make up the difference

Hope you get 'er fixed soon.