mtbr member

Worth upgrading my RP2?

Hi all,
    I am considering upgrading my RP2 shock. I have little experience riding other shocks so don't know if it will be worth it. I am about to put a marzocchi 55 micro ti fork on the front and am now considering a roco air LO DC or a roco air tst r for the rear. I originally wanted to get a monarch plus some day but have found a couple of cheap roco's for sale.
    Can anyone let me know what changes I would feel going to either of these from a RP2. How do they compare?
    I ride a diamondback mission and have started riding faster and am now hitting a few bigger features so I grabbed a 160mm fork to replace my revelation and am thinking about a shock upgrade as well. What do you guy's think?
    Thanks
    pow77
    'keep the mission alive!'

Elitest thrill junkie
    You'd be far better off to send your shock to Push to get it revalved. They'll gut the stock piston, put in a better higher-flowing one, custom-valve it so you can have decent low-speed damping without making the bike a jack-hammer, it will work much better and transform the feel. Unless one is going to spring for a Cane Creek DB Air or Vivid Air (actually tunable shocks), it's not really worth it to spring for another shock that's given a "one size fits all" tune.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Does Push do tunes on shocks for people like me and the OP who live on the far side of the world though? Australia and NZ are a little short on shock tuners with the reputation of Push. I've got a RP2 as well, and have also wondered about whether to keep it or upgrade to something else.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Thanks Jayem but as mentioned by kiwiplague there is no push centre down this way. (as far as I know?). I have read great things about the CCDB and the vivid air but atm they are out of my price range.
    The RP2 is fine, but as I said I have not tested many others so cant really compare it to anything. I have just seen a couple of good buys and thought it might be good to upgrade the RP2 with something to compliment the marz 55 micro ti forks. I could always get the rp2 performance tuned locally but this would end up costing more than either of the shocks i am looking at.
    Basically i am just after some advice on if upgrading to either of the roco shocks will be much of an improvement? Or wait till next year to grab a CCDB?
    Cheers

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well IMO you'd get a dramatic difference by upgrading to an actually-adjustable air shock (not to many of these made currently, because air-shocks have traditionally been targeted towards XC and for some reason shock performance has always been secondary to "pedaling performance) or get it revalved with a new main piston and shims actually adjusted to your weight, which also has dramatic results. Otherwise, I don't think you'll see much improvement and would only get something else if your shock is broken. This from my experience on coil and air shocks, including custom-tuned ones.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I guess the best question to ask is what issues are you running into with the RP2? Where does it let you down?

I can tell you a good coil shock is going to remind you of the 55 when setup properly. But you've got to get the spring weight right the 1st try, so do your research.

The issue I had with many a float is that in order for it to feel even close to as supple as a coil shock I had to run lower pressure. When I ran that lower pressure I would bottom out more. Fox makes a Volume Spacer kit that reduces air volume to add more bottom of stroke resistance. With the right spacer you can help to eliminate the chance of bottoming while still getting that supple ride. I would highly recommend trying the spacers out, they make that much of a difference, are user installable in minutes and relatively cheap for a 3 size kit @ around $25 usd.

mtbr member
    ^^^ this.

The Fox spacer kit should come with every damn full suspension bike at retail. This is probably the number one thing that shops could do to 'tune' their bikes to the rider.

And you can install without taking the rear shock off!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Ok so i am thinking of getting the rp2 tuned. Contacted the local suspension crew and should be around $240 to get it fully serviced and tuned to my weight and riding style. Its due for a service soon anyway. But man that's half the cost of a CCDB!
    Things I was finding with the rp2 is due to being light 62kg or 136lbs I would have to run low pressure to get the small bumps smoothed which was fine most of the time. But lately I have been riding more and and starting to hit a few bigger drops which has bottomed out the shock a few times. I increased the pressure but find it bounces over the rough stuff to much now. I really feel this through rock gardens and especially on a couple of rooty rocky corners on my local trail. I really feel like the rear of the bike is getting bounced around alot and I loose traction. I have played around with the rebound but still cant get it right. Its only been noticeable now that i am riding faster and hitting more rough stuff, drops and jumps. I have no issues on casual XC trails etc but only when things get chunky.
    If I get it tuned I will let you know how it goes. But still considering saving the cash and put it towards a monarch plus or a CCDB??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Thanks for that, but unfortunately they wont ship them to Australia.
    Edit- found some local.
    Might have to give it a go. Would you recommend just installing the smallest one first? What would I expect? Run lower pressure?
    Thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    Run the biggest one first. You want to be able to have a major difference in feel right away so you can try to isolate if that helped. You can start at the same air pressure but it's best just to pump it up to 150psi and start checking sag to get it right. 25-30%. Use a tape measure with millimeters and use the o-ring to measure precisely. If your stroke is 50mm, you want 12-15mm of sag right there. And set it with the compression off.

Ride a section of trail the day before you make the change then ride it again as soon as the change is made.

It's not terribly difficult to change those spacers in the field. Strap wrench, a rag, a few pillow packs of Float fluid. You can install those things when the rear shock is on the bike. I've done this a few times.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Cool thanks for that. Just had a look at this Fox Float Air Volume Spacer Kit: Installed and Reviewed
    As you mentioned the fluid and the kit i bought has the fluid why isnt it mentioned in these instructions? Will I need to top the fluid up when i install the spacer?

mtbr member
    How long have you had your shock? It may be time to do the seals.
    I don't think there is anything special about float fluid. I have a bottle of Mobile One synthetic gear oil that I use...it will probably last the rest of my life.

When you pop in the spacer, you are really losing very little of the fluid. Assuming everything was nicely lubed - why is why I suggested do the air-can seals - then a few drops at most will do.

I had a spacer already in my RP2 HV...I started with the largest one and started lowering the pressure. The ride improved and I still haven't gone so low as to bottom out.

The kit really is worth it, and should either come with the shock, or be something the shop addresses when you buy the bike.
    I had read an article in Dirt Magazine about suspension tuning, and it said adjusting the spring curve - which is what you are doing here - is critical, and comes before making compression or rebound adjustments (all of this assumes you have proper sag).

Good luck.

All that being said, my Pushed RP23 arrives today

mtbr member
    Thanks,
    I have had the shock for around 2 years. Probably overdue for a service, but only run the pressure at between 130 and 140 psi so the seals shouldnt be to bad. Should I just change the seals myself? Seal kits are around $40 here in Aus? But a full service will cost me $200. Might do a bit of research to see how hard it is and what tools I may need. Do you have to use fox fluid?
    Thanks for all the help guys!

mtbr member
    It is not hard at all. No special tools.
    There are several video tutorials online to walk you through it...google it and pick one.
    Two years? You're due.
    You done have to use fox fluid, but it comes with the seal kit, so why not?

mtbr member
    Thanks reformed. Had a quick look at some guides and think I will give it a go. Was asking about the fluid as I was expecting to have to change the oils like for forks. Shows what I know!

mtbr member
    Basic rear shock service is easy. Amazingly so. A vice helps. Some isopropyl, a few clean shop rags, a set of picks (or a sharp spoke).

The service you are thinking of is the damper. Cracking open the damper is only necessary when rebound or compression stops working. That's a bit more involved, to be sure. The service intervals for basic service are more important. It's rare for funk and dirt to get way into the rear shock damper fluid.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What size shock are you running? Fox has a sizing chart that will say what sizes are permitted to minimize interference. I have a 7.875 x2 she went with the medium space and it works great.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.
    Going to try the spacers and new seals. Will see how that goes.
    Still have the urge to try a monarch plus one day but will give the rp2 a go for a while. The size is 7.875x 2 so should be fine.
    Has anyone tried a rp2 and a monarch plus? How do they compare?
    Cheers
    pow

mtbr member
    Ok things may of changed. I had a ride on my girlfriends bike yesterday to try set her bike up a bit better for her as I couldnt get the rear shock set up to her liking. Man I noticed how good my rp2 feels compared to her X-Fusion 02RLA. Her shock feels very pog stick like. Reduced the rebound and it would just wallow. So now thinking she needs an upgrade more than me to ensure she continues to ride and have fun. So started looking for a float for her and discovered my rp2 might actually fit her bike.
    Going to try it out and if it works i am thinking I will grab a monarch plus and be done with it. Win Win!! Found one for $320 new. Is that a great price? I cant remember seeing them that cheap before??

mtbr member
    Monarch Plus is rad. I love mine for sure. The newer ones have a quad seal at the back of the air can instead of an o-ring. Minor, but might save you from a bad ride.

I think MSRP on M+ is closer to $500. Make sure you get the RC3.

Monarch Plus RC3 | SRAM

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Bit the bullit and grabbed the monarch plus and a seal kit for the rp2 from here Rock Shox Monarch+ RC3 HV Mid Reb / Mid Comp 200 / 51 mm schwarz
    Will let you know how the changes go.
    Thanks for the help.