Worn Bushings/Bearings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Worn Bushings/Bearings

I just noticed that when i pick the back of my giant trance up i can feel a little play in the linkage. Ive had the bike for over a year so i assume its time to replace the bushings/bearings???

If so it okay to ride the bike still??? I plan to get them changed but i had rides planned in the next couple of days and i dont think my lbs has a full set of bearings/bushings in stock atm.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check the torque on all the bolts before you overworry. You could just be feeling something loose, rather than something worn out.

That said, I think riding something worn enough to have play is a Bad Idea. Impacts are a lot harder on pivot pins and bearing seats than the more moderated shocks they experience if everything's working right.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nicpie2468 View Post
    I just noticed that when i pick the back of my giant trance up i can feel a little play in the linkage. Ive had the bike for over a year so i assume its time to replace the bushings/bearings???

If so it okay to ride the bike still??? I plan to get them changed but i had rides planned in the next couple of days and i dont think my lbs has a full set of bearings/bushings in stock atm.
    Most likely one or both bushings need replaced. They cost a couple bucks each plus installation if you dont do it yourself.
    Other than that the most likely thing is your pivots need adjusting.
    Of course there are more complex things that could be going on but less common.
    Fix it now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Generally no, it's not a good idea to continue to ride when you notice looseness, because that means a surface is constantly slamming into another surface while you are riding, resulting in elongation or ovalization of the bearing receptacle and putting stress cycles on things like bolts and linkages. Can lead to permanent damage.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Do you have the new Fox igus bushings or DU Bushings?

fuggansonofahowa
    Good question. More times for me it was the shock's DU bushing causing play. My bike frames have always had sealed cartridge bearings, not bushes. That could be a good reason.

mtbr member
    Unless you ride incredibly hard and multiple times a week, it's unlikely that a year old giant blew out it's bearings already. Your shock mount bolts are likely loose.

Do the same pull test, but with a hand on your upper shock mount and check for play by hand.