Why diif psi on FOX FLAOT vs. TALAS?- Mtbr.com
    on my 3rd wind...

Why diif psi on FOX FLAOT vs. TALAS?

Own both 03/04 FLOAT RLC fork and 05 TALAS R. Why is that I have to put 60 psi on FLOAT and 80psi on TALAS to achieve same 25% sag on the same bike at same 4" travel? FOX manual for both forks indicates that I should be using 65psi based on my my rider weight of 155 to 160lbs. Am I missing something here? I guess my question is why TALAS recommneded psi so far off?

STH

mtbr member
    The TALAS has a larger air chamber than the Float, that is why it has a more linear feel to it and why there is a difference in PSI for the 25% sag. The 80 psi is off the recomended for the TALAS probably because you have it in the 4 inch travel mode when the recomendations are for the 5 inch.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by forceyoda
    The TALAS has a larger air chamber than the Float, that is why it has a more linear feel to it and why there is a difference in PSI for the 25% sag. The 80 psi is off the recomended for the TALAS probably because you have it in the 4 inch travel mode when the recomendations are for the 5 inch.
    Interesting... I didn't realize you have to pump more into TALAS air chamber in order to maintain the same sag when travel is reduced. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't FOX mention on their ad that TALAS fork auto adjust for air spring rate when travel changed so that you don't have to pump the air in or out to maintain sag? I will try to pump 60 to 65psi (160lbs weight) at 5" travel to see if I get a correct sag of 20 to 25%. Right now, if I was to pump 60-65psi at 4" travel mode, zip tie on fork stanchion sags about 1.5"...way too low and steepens the head angle way too much on my bike. Fox Float 100mm RLC fork on the same bike compress about 0.8-1.0" at that same pressure.

I suppose I can ignore Fox's recommended pressure and pump 80psi at 4" travel mode but the it feels too stiff and I feel a lot of compression spike on the trail. What I usaully end up doing is, run about 70-75 psi and run at about 4.3 inch travel. A bit of compromise but this way fork doesn't feel too stiff and frame's 4" based geometry doesn't change too much...albeit at 30 to 35% sag.

STH

mtbr member
    I believe that you are right that the TALAS adjusts as you go down in travel. If you adjust it to the proper sag in the 5 inch mode and shorten the travel the PSI will read higher but it SHOULD be around the same sag %.

mtbr member

More Talas Questions!

Great thread!

I always adjust my Talas for the proper sag in the 5" travel mode. Yet yesterday I was riding at Mt. Hood and noticed a DRAMATIC difference in fork action between using it at 4" travel and 5". In 4" travel mode the fork action was MUCH stiffer than when I changed it to 5" mode. SO what I'm saying is Fox isn't exactly being truthful about that fork having the same rate after you change the fork travel. Has anyone else noticed this? It was so pronounced that I initially thought something was wrong with my fork! (4" mode). I'm thinking of having it PUSHED because of this.

Talk ta me!

G MAN

Members who have read this thread: 0