Why did Marathon SL go post-mount?- Mtbr.com
    Transplant

Why did Marathon SL go post-mount?

Looking into getting a new fork and just realized that the 2006 Marzocchi Marathon SL is post mount only. Is there any insight on why they switched from using IS? Seems weird that Marzocchi whould change from something that was becoming so "standerd". To the best of my knowledge the stanctions are still 30mm. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wasn't there some sorta business deal between Marz and Manitou?

MattSavage
    I think the industry is starting to realize that post mounts are better than I.S. and that maybe post mounts should become the standard.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I think the industry is starting to realize that post mounts are better than I.S. and that maybe post mounts should become the standard.
    How are they better? Does it allow you to use an 8" rotor on a Marz 30mm stanction? Seems like it would cause more headaches then good. Let me know.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    How are they better? Does it allow you to use an 8" rotor on a Marz 30mm stanction? Seems like it would cause more headaches then good. Let me know.
    8" rotors on the Marathon depends on Marzocchi's warranty, which I'm not familiar with for that fork. the only 'Zoke I have is a Z1. I run 8" rotors on my Blacks and Minutes which have 30mm stanchions. Setup is a piece of cake, one less adapter to use if your running 6" rotors. Put the caliper on loose, spin the wheel, grab the lever, tighten the bolts, and you're golden. No shims or spacers like I've had to use on my I.S. setups. Of course I only use Shimano and Avid brakes which are designed for post mount, so maybe my opinion is biased.

Post mounts have always just made more sense to me. I.S. mount design is borrowed from motorcycles, but we're not motorcyclists, and history has shown that scaled down moto designs aren't always the best for bicycles.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Looking into getting a new fork and just realized that the 2006 Marzocchi Marathon SL is post mount only. Is there any insight on why they switched from using IS? Seems weird that Marzocchi whould change from something that was becoming so "standerd". To the best of my knowledge the stanctions are still 30mm. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks
    Actually, if you look around, IS is becoming less standardized. Companies are coming out with their own variations on IS which takes away from it being a "standard". Manufactuers are not liking to have to do so many adaptors to fit all of these standards. There are all a lot of companies pushing for post mount to be the new "standard".

In 06, all Marzocchi forks that have redesigned lowers (Marathon, MX, All Mountain, 66) have post mount brakes on them.

Brian

Meh.
    All the points have pretty much been covered already.

I like post mount because it's easier to set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    All the points have pretty much been covered already.

I like post mount because it's easier to set up.
    Me too...

Brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    For some popular brakes (all Hayes, all Avids, and all Shimano for 2006) that require an adapter to an IS-mount, post-mounts give a lighter setup by reducing the number of steel bolts that are used.

(There is still an XTR IS-mount brake model BR-M965, but now there is the XTR post-mount brake model BR-M966. Shimano has also dropped the IS-mount Deore for the post-mount BR-M535. I think this is a good indicator that what Marzocchi is doing is not an anomaly.)

Members who have read this thread: 0