who else makes bearings other than Enduro (Real World Cycling)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

who else makes bearings other than Enduro (Real World Cycling)

I need to replace a couple suspension linkage bearings and Enduro (Real World Cycling) only offers their low end bearings in the size i need so i was wondering if any other companies make bearing upgrades from OEM?
    thanks
    paul

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, there are a bazzillion bearings out there, in terms of size, type, and function. Have you gone to an industrial supply store? Because that's where bearings come from, and most manufacturers get their bearings from a bearing supplier, not enduro. You might have to take the bearings with you to such a shop, but other than that;

What do you mean "upgraded" bearings? Bearings are not always a perfect solution to mtb applications where the amount of rotation is limited. Bearings are usually meant to spin and make full rotations, often at high RPM. So bearings on mtbs sometimes lead to pitting, premature bearing failure, loose rear ends, flexy rear ends, and so on. "Upgrading" the bearings may or may not solve this, and an upgrade may not even be possible. Ideally every bike would have needle-bearings with an adequate system for the lateral loads, but it is expensive and difficult to do so. Most manufacturers just take the easy route and pop bearings in there with little regard to the above.

There are sometimes bearings that can take an increased amount of load, but the direction of that load is important and one of the primary ways the enduro bearings in my crankset get away with this is that they're simply bigger than the stock ones. To "upgrade" the bearings possibly requires changing parameters that you simply can not change.

In addition to the above problems, some designs are high-leverage designs or so flexy that they put even more wear on the bearings and bushings. Again, "upgrading" may not solve anything and just be a waste of money.

More information would be helpfull.
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-09-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the bearing i need is on a high load, low rotation point, so would a needle bearing be best? by upgrading, i meant something more durable than the OEM bearing because this one lasted maybe 8 or 10 months and is totally destroyed. I oil them every few rides but do ride in the southwest where it is often dry and dusty, could this lead have lead to the failure, or just that the bearing was not really designed for the application.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yes a needle would be better but I have not seen a needle bearing that will fit in the same housing as a ball so I dont think you will have much luck there.

still waiting for the bike that brings tapered rollers to the table for their pivot bearings, but then they wouldn't be able to sell us another bearing set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hill

still waiting for the bike that brings tapered rollers to the table for their pivot bearings, but then they wouldn't be able to sell us another bearing set.
    Yeah, expensive complex and heavy, but it could be cool. Probably the best way to make VPP type pivots. In lue of that, bushings and needle-bearings give you most of the benefits.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0