when is the right time to change forx seals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

when is the right time to change forx seals?

Hi

I have a float forx 04. At the end of my seasson (one month ago), the right leg started leaking more oil than the normal coated oil film at the stanchion. It doesn`t leak trough the leg it just enough oil to get the seal covered with oil and dust.

Looking at a seals replacement on the way, I buyed enduro seals (great guy to make bussines, Chris) , but haven`t install them yet, because the last 5 rides the right leg stopped leaking oil. I don`t know if the problem was solved ( if there was any problem) or it`s just that the oil at the foam ring dryes out and no more oil can come outside.

I`ll do an oil change in next days and wanted to know if it is convenient to replace the seals or wait a little more to see if the stock fox are OK.
    I`m consulting you with this decission, because I live in a country where buying things trough internet is possible but a little expensive, so I have to take the most durable life of these babys.

Thanks a lot!
    bye

mtbr member
    You probaly leaked enough oil that your dampening is dry now. It is a good time to get an overhaul. Change the seals, change the oil, clean the inerds, check the bushings, check seal rings, yada yada yada. Even if there is plenty of oil and the oil dried up that would be bad. Dry oil does the fork no good.

Wyrm
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I doubt that 155cc of oil...

Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    You probaly leaked enough oil that your dampening is dry now. It is a good time to get an overhaul. Change the seals, change the oil, clean the inerds, check the bushings, check seal rings, yada yada yada. Even if there is plenty of oil and the oil dried up that would be bad. Dry oil does the fork no good.

Wyrm
    had drained trough one seal. Maybe 15cc as too much.

mtbr member
    Read the post.....I said "enough". Fox oil volume has to be precise for it to work properly. Otherwise the dampening rod will not be full and you will have air in it or too much oil will cause hydrolic lockout. Just a little bit of air will make a huge difference. Besides if there is oil coming out and dirt/dust collecting there it is bound to be letting in the dirt; it is a two way street on that one. New seals is still my call.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

When you change the oil, replace the seals....

it's the best time to do it. Fox seals are not known for being the best in the industry and are prone to leak. So go ahead and replace them when you do your oil change. If you don't and the fork starts leaking again, you'll have to pull it apart and do it later anyway, and change the oil again etc. So you'll be saving yourself some time and effort.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Members who have read this thread: 0